Awful paint quality
1 1

4 posts in this topic

After its first winter in Austria (and the neighboring countries), my car is all covered in tiny white chips on the red paint from flying rubble.  There are some even on the rear door. I also have two microscopic pits on the front window - one close to the wipers and one in the black zone close to the sensors. My insurance company says I can repair them in a 4 year term, but the dealer insists to repair them as soon as possible, cause "the car is under warranty". It's obvious, the dealer wants to take the money from the insurer, but I totally don't like the idea of replacing the window with all the troubles it could cause (sensors calibration, sealings, possible mistakes and on). Besides only the vignette sticker from 3 different countries cost nearly 300 euro and some of them are nearly impossible to be transferred.

Do you have such problems with the paint. It's obviously quite thin and with extremely low quality. By the way - the paint shop says, it's a pin in the ass to paint it. Consist from 8 layers - 2 for the base, others for the paint, one for the pearl coating and two for the lacquer... Never noticed a single chip in the previous Scenic...

2 hours ago, AOne said:

After its first winter in Austria (and the neighboring countries), my car is all covered in tiny white chips on the red paint from flying rubble.  There are some even on the rear door. I also have two microscopic pits on the front window - one close to the wipers and one in the black zone close to the sensors. My insurance company says I can repair them in a 4 year term, but the dealer insists to repair them as soon as possible, cause "the car is under warranty". It's obvious, the dealer wants to take the money from the insurer, but I totally don't like the idea of replacing the window with all the troubles it could cause (sensors calibration, sealings, possible mistakes and on). Besides only the vignette sticker from 3 different countries cost nearly 300 euro and some of them are nearly impossible to be transferred.

Do you have such problems with the paint. It's obviously quite thin and with extremely low quality. By the way - the paint shop says, it's a pin in the ass to paint it. Consist from 8 layers - 2 for the base, others for the paint, one for the pearl coating and two for the lacquer... Never noticed a single chip in the previous Scenic...

I think it being red explains it. Only going by what's been put on here before but it seems it's a pearlescent white base coat with a clear red lacquer. Probably just the lacquer coat that's chipped. I too have heard it's very awkward to repair,

Mine, also red somehow got a minute chip, only 1mm on the top of one wing at about a month old, touched up with red VX paint just to stop water getting under the laquer. No further chips at 20 plus months old and early one not noticeable only by touch, and luckily still the only "mark" on the car. I don't however do much motorway or high speed dual carriageway driving in heavy traffic so risks from grit and gravel are lessened.

I think it's probably extremely hard and brittle rather than thin, that 1mm chip left a minor crater. 

Just went to see my college's white pearl Kadjar - absolutely same pits in the window, but as his paint is white - cant see no chips on the paint.  

5 hours ago, AOne said:

Just went to see my college's white pearl Kadjar - absolutely same pits in the window, but as his paint is white - cant see no chips on the paint.  

Heavy road gritting do to being in an alpine area?, I know it doesn't explain why your earlier renault didn't do it but probably built in a different country and I think all manfs have had to go to water based finishes by now to comply with current eu regs, lots of things are now not quite so fit for purpose as they once were. 

Windscreen damage strongly suggests the issue is the roads you drive????