Word of warning about stalling
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Had a very nasty experience this morning and a near miss. Approaching what is normally a roundabout with clear views to the right their was an obstruction on the grass so at the last minute I had to slow more from the speed you can approach normally. Problem was I was in too high a gear to pull off cleanly. I'd say I was doing 20mph in 3rd gear. The car stalled when I was 15 yds onto the roundabout and near the centre of 3 lanes. This was on what was known as the largest and hence fastest roundabout on the MI when it was built.

The car was still doing 15 mph or so but much to my dismay I found you can't restart the car at that speed, you have to slow to near zero before the start button will engage. I travelled about 30 yards pushing the button through the dash to no avail.

The picture is I had to come to a standstill with traffic hurtling round behind me, whacked on the hazards which I make a point of knowing where they are, then restart the car. No one touched, but the first car behind me was nearly rear ended, I could hear the screech of abs brakes.

Ok, totally my fault, too lazy a driving style and should have been in a lower gear but it is something I didn't enjoy so please be aware, it won't bump start under those conditions.

The real irony is that on my journey back Jeremy Wine was doing phone ins about the latest stalling BMW scenario, but this was me today in the Kadjar:wacko:

3 hours ago, turboted10 said:

Had a very nasty experience this morning and a near miss. Approaching what is normally a roundabout with clear views to the right their was an obstruction on the grass so at the last minute I had to slow more from the speed you can approach normally. Problem was I was in too high a gear to pull off cleanly. I'd say I was doing 20mph in 3rd gear. The car stalled when I was 15 yds onto the roundabout and near the centre of 3 lanes. This was on what was known as the largest and hence fastest roundabout on the MI when it was built.

The car was still doing 15 mph or so but much to my dismay I found you can't restart the car at that speed, you have to slow to near zero before the start button will engage. I travelled about 30 yards pushing the button through the dash to no avail.

The picture is I had to come to a standstill with traffic hurtling round behind me, whacked on the hazards which I make a point of knowing where they are, then restart the car. No one touched, but the first car behind me was nearly rear ended, I could hear the screech of abs brakes.

Ok, totally my fault, too lazy a driving style and should have been in a lower gear but it is something I didn't enjoy so please be aware, it won't bump start under those conditions.

The real irony is that on my journey back Jeremy Wine was doing phone ins about the latest stalling BMW scenario, but this was me today in the Kadjar:wacko:

If stop start had been activated it would have restarted as soon as you dipped the clutch.. it’s happened to me and dipped clutch and away you go ...,

24 minutes ago, Roxy1234 said:

If stop start had been activated it would have restarted as soon as you dipped the clutch.. it’s happened to me and dipped clutch and away you go ...,

Stop start was and always is activated. Afraid you are wrong, it doesn't work on the move, you have to come to a standstill before it will work just as with the button. What you experienced was the auto start after stalling, totally separate to S/Stop, but as above it doesn't work unless below about 4 mph.

An automatic?, that actually did cross my mind after, but then with all the complaints about delays in pick up?, I'll accept my one mistake over that every time, ;)

1 hour ago, turboted10 said:

Stop start was and always is activated. Afraid you are wrong, it doesn't work on the move, you have to come to a standstill before it will work just as with the button. What you experienced was the auto start after stalling, totally separate to S/Stop, but as above it doesn't work unless below about 4 mph.

An automatic?, that actually did cross my mind after, but then with all the complaints about delays in pick up?, I'll accept my one mistake over that every time, ;)

Just thought auto start was the same not noticed the speed when it was activated. It’s a good tool knowing that when you stall it will restart ...

Yes, as others have said this would (hopefully) not happen with an automatice.  Also, what happened to you is another good reason to always disable the stop/start feature on all types of drive!

This has happened to me in similar circumstances (Manual 1.6 SS on) , the dash flashed "depress clutch" - I did so and the engine restarted without needing to press the start button. I was still moving at ~10 mph.

Restarting after a stall isn't as quick as pre-electronic era manuals though, I could do it so fast back then that nobody who wasn't in the car with me would ever have known. Sadly, that few extra seconds now makes it obvious!

8 hours ago, Wneud said:

This has happened to me in similar circumstances (Manual 1.6 SS on) , the dash flashed "depress clutch" - I did so and the engine restarted without needing to press the start button. I was still moving at ~10 mph.

Same here. Engine restarted automatically. By the way, the start-stop function is awesome in traffic jams. Can't understand why it is hated so much...

Probably, Ted instinctively tried to restrat from the button and it stopped the engine. Than the car got confused and didn't want to start again unless it's halted. Might be some safety issue.

The last car I had for work { Astra manual ) had a tendency to stall at low speed on roundabouts . Just dipping the clutch started it again no . Never had that problem with the Kadjar .

13 hours ago, RTFishall said:

Yes, as others have said this would (hopefully) not happen with an automatice.  Also, what happened to you is another good reason to always disable the stop/start feature on all types of drive!

RT, it's not the S/S function that's involved here. The "stall restart" is totally independent so on or off, doesn't matter.

11 hours ago, Wneud said:

Well I think that's the issue, I can say it has to be way below 10mph and I suspect if you have tried to restart it on the move with the clutch depressed of course, then it won't start until you come to a complete standstill.          Just a warning to others really, don't muff your gear changes in traffic.

It really couldn't have happened in a worse position, at that junction the motorway is in a real deep cutting below meaning the embankment is very wide. It leaves the roundabout the shape of a large version of a 400 mtr running track, and I ended up stalled coming off one of the bends, not pleasant

3 hours ago, AOne said:

Same here. Engine restarted automatically. By the way, the start-stop function is awesome in traffic jams. Can't understand why it is hated so much...

Probably, Ted instinctively tried to restrat from the button and it stopped the engine. Than the car got confused and didn't want to start again unless it's halted. Might be some safety issue.

I think that's exactly what happened as said above, hence the warning, it confuses the system, however I know from experience you do have to be travelling very slowly for the engine to restart even if you don't touch the button.

I too fail to understand anyone switching out the S/S, I still do it manually if it doesn't stop when I want it to. 

Final definition.

Car will not start until the speed drops to exactly 6mph

Pressing the start doesn't affect anything, the above stands, it will restart at 6mph provided clutch is kept depressed

S/S on, S/S off? no effect.

Wanting to explain this to myself I took off to a quiet lane near me, tried all that and there are the results. 

I suppose I went a little off topic when I mentioned the stop/start function. What I was trying to point out is that with this facility active, when one pulls up (at say traffic lights) there is a delay in pulling away again as the engine has to restart. Therefore pulling away takes longer, which is rather like recovering from a stall everytime.

250 ms?? What would you do with so much saved time? And what about all the bullshit smoking out of your car for a minute, two or more? Is it worthed? You ain't serious, right?

4 hours ago, RTFishall said:

I suppose I went a little off topic when I mentioned the stop/start function. What I was trying to point out is that with this facility active, when one pulls up (at say traffic lights) there is a delay in pulling away again as the engine has to restart. Therefore pulling away takes longer, which is rather like recovering from a stall everytime.

My stop /start is nearly dead, can't recall the last time it worked but I can tell you it's faster than me at restarting the engine. I have done stop start manually all my driving life, I'm a yorkshire man, super, even water tight, don't want to waste a milli litre of fuel when stood. 

Stop start is quicker therefore more economical, the kit is designed to take extra starts, you can always argue but all cars are like this today. It's called progress:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, AOne said:

250 ms?? What would you do with so much saved time? And what about all the bullshit smoking out of your car for a minute, two or more? Is it worthed? You ain't serious, right?

250ms, you must be joking.  Surely a diesel Kadjar doesn't put out smoking bullshit? After all that's not what the adverts say is it?:lol: