• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

RLink
3 3

40 posts in this topic

Hi There,

just wondering if i do a software update. what do in need to do next to get a "Map" update. there are some new roads in Ireland which dont show up on it? the software Version i have at the moment is 2.2.17.803. i have put in my VIN number and it tells me there is a software update available for my vehicle.

Thanks.

You need to install a Windows app call toolkit. After installing the firmware up date put your memory stick back in your pc and it should show you a map update to download onto your memory stick.

Assuming you've not registered with R-Link before, you need your vehicle VIN number [which you've got, but for others: it's in the vehicle Registration document ("log-book")] You also need the R-Link system's "HUID" number, which is obtainable from one of the screens in the car. My HUID is 19 digit, and begins "CAP" but you shouldn't input those first 3 letters when you register with the R-Link site! Not the most intuitive system!

Thanks Guys,

Managed to get an up date on the Maps on to a USB. It didn't download a new software version. Im still on the 2.2.17 version. I had initial trouble before when i first got the vehicle that my Samsung S6 wasn't connecting properly until they updated the original software to the present. So will the new maps run on this version and now what do i do with the USB after insert it to the vehicle if anything at all?

Thanks again.

27 minutes ago, peter1965 said:

Thanks Guys,

Managed to get an up date on the Maps on to a USB. It didn't download a new software version. Im still on the 2.2.17 version. I had initial trouble before when i first got the vehicle that my Samsung S6 wasn't connecting properly until they updated the original software to the present. So will the new maps run on this version and now what do i do with the USB after insert it to the vehicle if anything at all?

Thanks again.

I'd make a copy of the pen-drive contents into a folder in your computer: if the maps fail to load into the car for some reason it deletes the contents of the pen-drive. That happened to us once and we had to do the download again.... Then I'd plug the pen-drive into a USB socket in the car, start it and switch on the R-Link. Ours detected the new maps and asked if we wanted to install them. I clicked "yes", switched-off the stop-start and took the car for a run; the update took about 10 mins. The first time, we forgot to switch-off the stop-start and the engine cut-out at a traffic-lights. That caused the map update to fail and the pen-drive to be wiped! Good luck!

There is something I fail to understand in all these "how to update RLink" threads, 

Why on earth is the customer expected to do it by Renault? , Or, why has the customer had to ask all and sundry for a solution that Renault should sort?.

Would it be too much to expect these issues or lacking information to be automatically updated at service time?.

I'm now officially an "old git", and proud of it, do Renault expect seniors to be able to update their sady ancient system???, apparently they do, dam sad.oh stop it... go on! emoticon

Hi again,

Went to upload it and after a few minutes it told me that update package was invalid!! Is that because I need to update the software first? i did put my VIN number in to Renault site for the software upgrade and it told me that there was one available. Maybe i need to update it first and can i do it on the same pen drive??

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, peter1965 said:

Hi again,

Went to upload it and after a few minutes it told me that update package was invalid!! Is that because I need to update the software first? i did put my VIN number in to Renault site for the software upgrade and it told me that there was one available. Maybe i need to update it first and can i do it on the same pen drive??

Thanks again.

yes you need to update the firmware before applying the map update. Once you update the firmware, wipe the USB then stick it back into the RLink to register it again to your car.  Then pop it back into your PC and open up the R-Link toolbox and R-Link store and it should pick up that the firmware has been updated and the map will be available to download.

I downloaded the software and  un zipped which gave me 3 files copiedthem across to the pen drive inserted in the car but it doesn't recognise any thing on it? Any ideas?

Try not to unzip. Just put in the zip file (not sure if it will work - try it). And I believe, if you just copy the saved map folder - it would be good enough to make the map update.

18 hours ago, peter1965 said:

Thanks. Do i need to download the map through the RLink toolbox app again as I kept a copy of it on my PC?

I'd redownload it, if you have 2.2.17 i'm surprised a map update came through the RLink store as this was the major issue in regards to 2.2.17 as it wouldnt allow a map update to happen.  Unless you have really old maps and are downloading the 2015.06 map.

32 minutes ago, turboted10 said:

I'll say this again as it "sticks in my craw", how the hell is an aged Kadjar owner expected to do this him/herself?, but above all, why?

Just go to the dealer! If you can't change a flat tyre, what would you do - read instructions and cry for help? No - you call road assistance and go to the competent garage and change it, right?

If an old person can't deal with 3 easy steps, how is he supposed to use the infotainment system at all?

38 minutes ago, AOne said:

Just go to the dealer! If you can't change a flat tyre, what would you do - read instructions and cry for help? No - you call road assistance and go to the competent garage and change it, right?

If an old person can't deal with 3 easy steps, how is he supposed to use the infotainment system at all?

Well done, that's the question, and even more so WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK CORRECTLY, 

Let's take it back a step. How does he know there are 3 easy steps?, How does he find that out? Is it a prerequisite of owning a Kadjar that the owner should not only be a member of a owners forum, but also be able to understand computer speak???

You can dress it up any way you wish, I don't understand your position, but Renault don't make it easy for any owner, let alone old gits like me.

Why the hell can't they take a leaf out of the nissan Qashqai book, same car really, and get updates when asked for,

And yes, you have touched a nerve, Old man mooning animated emoticon Victor Meldrew is still in charge.

And just take a look at the posts from owners who have taken their car back to the dealer only to be told "you have the latest version/ they all do that sir/ it's fine, we cannot see a problem) You may find that acceptable, I don't on any price band new car, and the Kadjar isn't exactly "budget".

Trouble is RLink is.

Rant over.

I'm sorry, but I think i made myself clear - if you don't understand it, go to people who do. VISIT THE DEALER! My relatives (the oldest one) are not computer geeks and when they need to deal with something, they come and ask me to help them. If I'm not in town or in the country, they visit the computer service store and get the job done. When I'm sick, I don't browse the internet for cure. I visit my doctor! Need more examples? 

The first day the car was delivered, I checked the RLink site. It took me 2 minutes to understand what I should do, to find the files and to start downloading. Then it was 45 more minutes waiting for downloading and installing. It was THAT simple. 

And what do you mean the unit is not working correctly? As far as I know, the biggest troubles with it is the DAB radio. Everything else are some temporary bugs.

Lets be honest, It's TOO much whining for minor troubles, and it's getting too annoying already.

I apologize If somebody felt offended, that was not my point.

42 minutes ago, AOne said:

I'm sorry, but I think i made myself clear - if you don't understand it, go to people who do. VISIT THE DEALER! My relatives (the oldest one) are not computer geeks and when they need to deal with something, they come and ask me to help them. If I'm not in town or in the country, they visit the computer service store and get the job done. When I'm sick, I don't browse the internet for cure. I visit my doctor! Need more examples? 

The first day the car was delivered, I checked the RLink site. It took me 2 minutes to understand what I should do, to find the files and to start downloading. Then it was 45 more minutes waiting for downloading and installing. It was THAT simple. 

And what do you mean the unit is not working correctly? As far as I know, the biggest troubles with it is the DAB radio. Everything else are some temporary bugs.

Lets be honest, It's TOO much whining for minor troubles, and it's getting too annoying already.

I apologize If somebody felt offended, that was not my point.

Sorry A0ne, go visit the dealer isn't the answer, they claim ignorance and can't sort, that's the issue, I understand you didn't want to offend but the lack of support IS offensive. you can't dress it up. 

If your Grandmamma bought the car what would you do, I'll tell you, you would spit feathers, and so would I.

The big question:      When there is a problem, and Renault understand there are several, why don't they volunteer to fix them???? Or do they monitor this site and expect folks to complain??????????????????

The lack of support is an issue, of course, but I believe there's an explanation. I've read somewhere, they had some troubles with the company responsible for the RLink. If it's all about money, contracts, patents or things like that, maybe it's not only Renault's fault. Who knows? Nevertheless, I like the RLink. Although I have Android Auto, a top class phone and so on, I still prefer the RLink instead of Google maps, and I'm quite familiar with the sat-navs from their dawn, long long ago.