RLink
3 3

39 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, AOne said:

The lack of support is an issue, of course, but I believe there's an explanation. I've read somewhere, they had some troubles with the company responsible for the RLink. If it's all about money, contracts, patents or things like that, maybe it's not only Renault's fault. Who knows? Nevertheless, I like the RLink. Although I have Android Auto, a top class phone and so on, I still prefer the RLink instead of Google maps, and I'm quite familiar with the sat-navs from their dawn, long long ago.

Renault is the supplier the responsibility does rest with them, this is about folks who do not want a share of that responsibility , I for one don't even know what android auto is, I have a basic idiot smart phone. Google maps???? that also escapes me. I have a sat nav from about 12 years back, Navman unit,  never updated. It is more reliable than that installed in my Kadjar.

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

Have been watching this thread with interest and am now in a position to comment. First of all thanks to all whom gave me good advice with getting on with my task of trying to download maps etc. A little bit o history for those offering more advice "It's TOO much whining for minor troubles, and it's getting too annoying already". Thankfully I am computer literate. I'm also a qualified Mechanical Fitter.  I drive about 70,000 Km a year for my work in my Kadjar which is a 16 reg and 16 Dci 130 Bhp engine and has 125,000 Km on it at the moment. The first problem it had with "R Link" was that it didn't connect properly to Samsung phones. The fix came about 6 months later and which I found out from this forum NOT The Main Dealer. The next problem with the system it just went blank one day lost all the pre sets on the Radio and connectivity to the phone and I had to back in and re set everything. Since then up in the right hand corner of the screen it now says "Damaged Integrity" in red (The Main Dealer cannot explain this).  Also we have 4 of these in our fleet where on a couple of occasions the have not recognized the key so they failed to start (Again no explanation as yet as to why this has happened) I might add you cannot start it any other way if it fails to recognize the key!!  .Also there is a "Hesitation" when accelerating  (Feels like lack of fuel"  Renault have admitted there is a software issue but yet no fix for same. So to sum up we have a service agreement with our Renault Dealer and when i asked for "My R Link" to be updated i was handed a "Post It" note with the Website and told to do it myself as it would cost time and money if they were to do it. Can't understand why as its a company vehicle and they were very quick to change the Brake Calipers without consulting anybody. I have managed to get all the downloads but for some reason or other it will not upload the new Firmware (Whether Zipped or Un zipped) so as to allow the maps to update. It did recognize that I was trying to update the maps but not the Firmware just saying No Audio files.

Thanks.                          

20180305_092158.jpg

Well, my guess is, Renault are simply not understanding nothing from RLink. Just buy the unit and mount it, and that's why they're totally not understanding it. And if they have a quarrel with the manufacturer, we're all doomed ;)

Question here.....how old do you have to be to be classified as an old git on here? I am 72 and don’t find any problems with operating RLink or anything for that matter.

33 minutes ago, barracuda1 said:

Question here.....how old do you have to be to be classified as an old git on here? I am 72 and don’t find any problems with operating RLink or anything for that matter.

You've got a couple of years on me but I'm still a grumpy old git . No problems for me , other than having the need for psychic abilities to guess the R Link serial number . People of our age group will tend to have more difficulty in getting to grips with the new technology because we weren't " brought up " with it .

Then there are others that never RTFM of all ages . Reminds of a customer  I once visited that couldn't get to grips with his TV .I explained it's all in the manual to which he replied " I can't be a!"£d to read that " to which I replied " Fair enough sir , next time it'll cost you £70 for me to read it to you ".....never saw him again

2 hours ago, barracuda1 said:

I don't have any issues operating RLink, I do have issues when it fails to perform as bought and paid for and I simply don't think it's right that people should have to come on this forum for fixes to Renaults issues.  I value my time too greatly to be wasting it trying to fix Renault problems. We have a 65plte Clio with RLink, it's different and faultless, The system in the qashqai worked perfectly and the maps great and satnav operation intuitive.

How old to be qualified as an old git?, I go with the official out to grass age of 65 as it was for us at that age. I'm that now but retired over 10 years ago. I built my first car, beach buggy at the age of 19 and built a Dutton, several Westfields and a CC cyclone. I was at the National Kit car show at Stoneleigh over the bank holiday considering another build. I retired as chief mechanical and electrical engineer for the company I'd worked for all my life. I now renovate property and build oak furniture  to keep my hand in these days. In other words nothing normally phases me but what I'm saying is I'm no fool however the frustration from things that don't work as they should gets to me and is in danger of turning me into Victor Meldrew's long lost brother. :rolleyes:

easy way to fix the issues if you are not too sure on how to do it yourself is to contact connected services first (r-link.helplineuk@renault.com) who will arrange an appointment with your renault dealership to update the R-Link firmware (I think they can also do the map updates provided you still have a live subscription). 

From there the map update shouldn't prove too much of an issue if you follow the steps provided on the R-Link website,

i.e. Sign up to the R-Link store

Download the R-Link Toolbox

Insert a blank USB into the kadjar to gain an imprint of the R-Link

Stick it back into the PC and allow the Toolbox to download the update to the USB

If the R-Link Firmware is up to date and you have a live traffic subscription just logging into the R-Link store should tell you if a map update is available.  Early adopters only received 1 year free subscriptions but those who have a 17 plate onwards received 3 years free subscriptions.

There is only 1 update so far and is 2016.12. Released in October 2017.

Cars with the portrait R-Link screen have a newer version 2017.06

I find these pages helpful

https://www.gps-rlink.com/r-link-2/r-link-2-install-an-update-yourself/

and

https://www.gps-rlink.com/r-link-2/update-map/

and

https://www.gps-rlink.com/r-link-2/download-r-link-2-toolbox/

I did all the steps you have said but the only thing that it did when i put in the USB after taking an imprint of my R LINK (Landscape) in to the R Link Toolbox was to offer me a map update and Coyote. In the software section it does say the newest version for mine (2.2.17.803) is 2.219.300. But even if i could up load the software the possibility is the map update may still not work.

it sounds like you havent had your maps updated at all (i.e you have the first iteration) I think when I bought my car I had an update waiting which brought it up to 2015.06 ( i think) and that is why the update is showing for 2.2.17.803.  What Reg is your car? and do you still have Live Traffic?

In regards to the firmware update you said that "It did recognize that I was trying to update the maps but not the Firmware just saying No Audio files". I had this issue also when doing it the first time.  What I found was having a blank USB (no imprint) and dragging the unzipped 'R-Link' folder (not the individual files) across to the usb did the trick and also waiting a couple of minutes for the update to start once inserted into the car.

The steps below are key I believe.

• Download the ZIP file of more than 600 MB.
  • Unzip the downloaded file and put the “R-LINK” folder in the root of a FAT32 formatted USB key. In this R-LINK folder you have three files (The folder with the file is more than 1 GB):

mm14.jpg

• Eject the key of your computer correctly.

Installation in the car

• Go in your vehicle and start it.
  • Insert the USB key
  • The system will now scan the usb key and verify the integrity of the files present on the key. The system will seem to be frozen for 2 minutes: no worries. Do not remove the key!

Thanks. Yes I have live traffic working as it shows roadworks etc. It's an Irish reg April 16. Did exactly as you said and saw the 3 files. So what your saying is start again re format the sub to fat 32 but make no imprint of my R Link at all and just try it straight from the PC?

After reformating USB key you have to plug it again into opertional-turn on device (rlink) and after 2-3 minutes Rlink will leave imprint on key... after that plug it into computer and proceed with map download...

19 hours ago, peter1965 said:

Thanks. Yes I have live traffic working as it shows roadworks etc. It's an Irish reg April 16. Did exactly as you said and saw the 3 files. So what your saying is start again re format the sub to fat 32 but make no imprint of my R Link at all and just try it straight from the PC?

Yep, the imprint is required for map updates (and other apps) specific to your R-Link, the firmware from the website download doesn't require it.  Just make sure the R-Link folder is copied across with the files inside it, not the individual files as otherwise the R-Link wont recognise the files.  I'm sure others have had installation issues similar and you could do a wee search of the forum to see if there were other solutions.

There's a new update for the RLink. It regards RLink Store and Coyote. It says it's Mandatory update, though I don't understand why... I'm with the newer unit, but the guys from our local forum say there is the same update for the pre May'17 units. (I'm registered in the Irish store).