Acceleration delay in auto
4 4

22 posts in this topic

I recently bought a used 1.5 diesel auto kadjar signature from an official dealer coming from a manual 1.3 diesel astra.

I have noticed when I brake and then accelerate there is a 2 second delay before I am getting acceleration. This is especially a problem at round abouts when I am accelerating to get round them but nothing is happening for a few seconds.

If I completely stop and move I am getting good immediate response and getting up to speed quickly. The issue is if I am moving but braking and then go to accelerate. I am not flooring it (I tried that though and it seemed worse where it had to sort gears out) and have driven autos in the past (citroen c4 and c5) and never had this problem. I also tried eco off and eco on which has made no difference.

Is this a known issue or is it normal. I  wish I had test driven one to compare beforehand, but it just don't seem right and I'm now stopping at round abouts more, because I know if I accelerate nothings going to happen straight away and I might not make it before other cars come round.

Is the car in ECO mode ? I've no experience of the Kadjar Auto , but I do drive a car with the DCT . There is a slight lag when pulling off ( though certainly not 2 seconds ). The solution in my case is to put the car in Sport mode , which is effectively the equivalent of switching ECO off .

8 hours ago, StarshipUK said:

I recently bought a used 1.5 diesel auto kadjar signature from an official dealer coming from a manual 1.3 diesel astra.

I have noticed when I brake and then accelerate there is a 2 second delay before I am getting acceleration. This is especially a problem at round abouts when I am accelerating to get round them but nothing is happening for a few seconds.

If I completely stop and move I am getting good immediate response and getting up to speed quickly. The issue is if I am moving but braking and then go to accelerate. I am not flooring it (I tried that though and it seemed worse where it had to sort gears out) and have driven autos in the past (citroen c4 and c5) and never had this problem. I also tried eco off and eco on which has made no difference.

Is this a known issue or is it normal. I  wish I had test driven one to compare beforehand, but it just don't seem right and I'm now stopping at round abouts more, because I know if I accelerate nothings going to happen straight away and I might not make it before other cars come round.

Hi, I have a 2016 1.5 auto and I haven’t experienced the same problem as you. My old Citroen c8 used to do that and I thought it was incredibly dangerous, every junction was a gamble. I’d return the car for inspection if I was you. I’m sure you are protected nowadays and can request a refund if the fault cannot be rectified. Have you register your problem with Renault U.K.?

Good luck

I have the same car as you. My two suggestions are

1. Never run in the Eco mode

2. Switch off the stop/start feature every time you start the engine.  It is a button on the right side of the steering colume. Sadly due to stupid EU laws it can't me made as a defaullt setting!

You will get slightly (and I emphasis the word "slightly") less mpg, but using the above I get around 55mpg and I don't have any of the delay problems one often gets by trying to be "super green"  lol

I am not

15 minutes ago, turboted10 said:

It's a used car so not quite as cut and dry, ;)

I am not sure why you say that. Its still under warranty with Renault and I bought it from a Renault Dealership.

I spoke to the sales person about it and he told me it is normal, but to me it just not feel normal or safe. The issue is my official Renault Dealership is not local and they have told me there is a long wait for courtesy cars if they have it in to look at.

I am going to try and get the mobile mechanic I use to drive it and see what he thinks, but I spoke to my dad who had a Peugeot and said he had a similar issue and which was clutch slip, and got it fixed.

I also read something on a Capur forum that sounded very similar and was fixed by a software update to the brake system. Its a 15 plate so not sure if that was an issue on the Kadjar too and if the update has been performed on it.

5 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

2. Switch off the stop/start feature every time you start the engine.  It is a button on the right side of the steering colume. Sadly due to stupid EU laws it can't me made as a defaullt setting!

You will get slightly (and I emphasis the word "slightly") less mpg, but using the above I get around 55mpg and I don't have any of the delay problems one often gets by trying to be "super green"  lol

Thanks. I can confirm when I first got it the stop/start was not working. It then suddenly started working and I now turn it off - can see the benefit on a manual but a pain on a auto. I have also tried with ECO turned off and that is not the problem. The car is behaving exactly the same whether ECO is on or off. Mine is currently showing about 58MPG after the first tank of fuel which is a little less than I was getting in the 1.3 Astra Manual Diesel I had before this.

3 hours ago, StarshipUK said:

I am not

I am not sure why you say that. Its still under warranty with Renault and I bought it from a Renault Dealership.

Because the more links in the chain the more escape routes. Sorry, just being pragmatic, no one will want to "fess" up, the less in the frame the better from your point of view

On 26/04/2018 at 10:37 AM, RTFishall said:

I couldn’t agree more, eco mode makes no difference whatsoever, in fact I found I get more MPG when I don’t use it 😂!

I always turn off auto start stop it’s a pain in the bum especially when at a junction at the top of a hill...

I have a similar diesel auto, and I would say that two seconds of hesitant seems a lot.

Normally it's not at all that bad, but sometimes it seems like the engine/transmission gets puzzled and hesitates a second before pulling away. It's very annoying but it has happened only a few times during the more than two years I have had it, so it has not been subject to any evaluation by a Renault tech.

On 27/04/2018 at 11:13 AM, janeyandpaul said:

I couldn’t agree more, eco mode makes no difference whatsoever, in fact I found I get more MPG when I don’t use it 😂!

I always turn off auto start stop it’s a pain in the bum especially when at a junction at the top of a hill...

What I can't understand is why (for the time being at least! lol) our Lords and Masters in the EU say that we can't have a car with the default setting of Stop/Start being "Off", but we can with Eco Mode?

1 hour ago, RTFishall said:

What I can't understand is why (for the time being at least! lol) our Lords and Masters in the EU say that we can't have a car with the default setting of Stop/Start being "Off", but we can with Eco Mode?

Not sure if stop /start technology is an EU edict as such . , after all the US use it too . So may be going with the " straight banana " fallacy there . It's there too  reduce pollution , which can't be a bad thing , and help the the manufacturers attain the claimed fuel efficiency figures . Switching it off is no hardship anyway :)

3 hours ago, ulfire said:

Not sure if stop /start technology is an EU edict as such . , after all the US use it too . So may be going with the " straight banana " fallacy there . It's there too  reduce pollution , which can't be a bad thing , and help the the manufacturers attain the claimed fuel efficiency figures . Switching it off is no hardship anyway :)

Yes your right, switching it off is no hardship. The difference is not having control of the default setting when it should be available.  After all, would you like a car where the radio was on by default every time you started the car?

The stop/start technology is a dictate made for us by the EU (which incidentally Fiat seem able to ignore. lol) even though many other countries have a similar rule. However, it can be swithched off by default in Australia and the USA. 

To be really green perhaps we should just walk.   :lol:

12 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

Yes your right, switching it off is no hardship. The difference is not having control of the default setting when it should be available.  After all, would you like a car where the radio was on by default every time you started the car?

The stop/start technology is a dictate made for us by the EU (which incidentally Fiat seem able to ignore. lol) even though many other countries have a similar rule. However, it can be swithched off by default in Australia and the USA. 

To be really green perhaps we should just walk.   :lol:

My radio does always come on when I switch on the car and has done in every modern car I've owned . It's no hardship to set it to an acceptable volume ( if not required set the volume to zero ) or just switch it off with a tiny press of the button . Or maybe go back to old fashioned radios with the mechanical switches and 8 track tape players ?

Funny thing about Fiat ignoring stop /start , seeing as the first stop / start car was Fiat swiftly followed by VW circa 1982 . It's not an EU dictate . Dictate implies that you must have it on at all time , the fact that you can switch it off is giving the user the democratic right to make the choice to not accept it . When you have no choice in the matter , that is a dictate .

I'll just get back to the horse and cart not forgetting to pack the huge pooper scooper :)

15 hours ago, RTFishall said:

Then why do you turn it off?, just leave it on, goes off when you open the door and comes back when the ignition is turned on, simples;)

21 hours ago, ulfire said:

My radio does always come on when I switch on the car and has done in every modern car I've owned . It's no hardship to set it to an acceptable volume ( if not required set the volume to zero ) or just switch it off with a tiny press of the button . Or maybe go back to old fashioned radios with the mechanical switches and 8 track tape players ?

Funny thing about Fiat ignoring stop /start , seeing as the first stop / start car was Fiat swiftly followed by VW circa 1982 . It's not an EU dictate . Dictate implies that you must have it on at all time , the fact that you can switch it off is giving the user the democratic right to make the choice to not accept it . When you have no choice in the matter , that is a dictate .

I'll just get back to the horse and cart not forgetting to pack the huge pooper scooper :)

I'm sure a pooper scooper will come with your horse as a default.

This is what I wrote in a post a few years ago:

"I believe the bus system in Kadjar has irritating and possibly dangerous lags in many different control systems. Maybe the bus system it too slow for all it's chores, or maybe it has programming bugs, driving it into continous loops, where it is blind for other things way too long.

The parking sensors delayed response is maybe the most apparent problem. Sometimes they do not start to monitor the obstacles until the are way too close, and all different coloured warning lamps light up simultainesly whith a small "bang". You really have too creep very slowly to not hit anything.

Then the gas pedal, sometimes it responds directly, other times it takes a second or so before it tells the engine it's time to accelerate.

The automatic transmission mostly shifts at the same speeds when driven softly, but sometimes it seems to be in "sleep mode" and waits much longer to shift.

Sometimes the back camera does not turn on, when I put it in reverse. It might turn on after some seconds, but ever so often I have to shift to park and back to reverse to wake up the camera.

The speed control does not react directly on reset every time. Sometimes there is a long delay, when the speed is dropping instead of gaining, and then suddenly it takes on a wild acceleration to "catch up"!

The automatic headlights do not turn on after going into a completely dark forest road, until after maybe 50-100 down the road.

So it goes on and on, and I really fear the day I would need the auto braking radar to be alert!

I feel all these lagging together is the main problem with my Kadjar as of now."

10 hours ago, 1898 said:

This is what I wrote in a post a few years ago:

"I believe the bus system in Kadjar has irritating and possibly dangerous lags in many different control systems. Maybe the bus system it too slow for all it's chores, or maybe it has programming bugs, driving it into continous loops, where it is blind for other things way too long.

The parking sensors delayed response is maybe the most apparent problem. Sometimes they do not start to monitor the obstacles until the are way too close, and all different coloured warning lamps light up simultainesly whith a small "bang". You really have too creep very slowly to not hit anything.

Then the gas pedal, sometimes it responds directly, other times it takes a second or so before it tells the engine it's time to accelerate.

The automatic transmission mostly shifts at the same speeds when driven softly, but sometimes it seems to be in "sleep mode" and waits much longer to shift.

Sometimes the back camera does not turn on, when I put it in reverse. It might turn on after some seconds, but ever so often I have to shift to park and back to reverse to wake up the camera.

The speed control does not react directly on reset every time. Sometimes there is a long delay, when the speed is dropping instead of gaining, and then suddenly it takes on a wild acceleration to "catch up"!

The automatic headlights do not turn on after going into a completely dark forest road, until after maybe 50-100 down the road.

So it goes on and on, and I really fear the day I would need the auto braking radar to be alert!

I feel all these lagging together is the main problem with my Kadjar as of now."

Your absolutely right about the lag of sensors and camera! I learnt this the hard way when I was distracted I ended up reversing into a thin metal pole and managed to do over £1000 worth of damage! Yet another reason I will never buy another Renault ever again after this one. I have a love hate relationship with the car!😐

On 01/05/2018 at 10:53 AM, janeyandpaul said:

Your absolutely right about the lag of sensors and camera! I learnt this the hard way when I was distracted I ended up reversing into a thin metal pole and managed to do over £1000 worth of damage! Yet another reason I will never buy another Renault ever again after this one. I have a love hate relationship with the car!😐

Me as well, next time it's a Kia Sportage for me.

I thought I might miss the glass roof on my Kadjar, but the new Sportage now has one.  Also, I won't miss the terrible R-Link!  However, I would miss the brilliant Bose sound system.