• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Burning Oil
3 3

18 posts in this topic

I would say, you should not need to fill any oil at all between the scheduled oil changes. Unless you drive extremely long distances or under severe conditions.

Mine hasn't used a drop in 8K miles either, BUT, your dealer will tell you it's normal and nothing to worry about, they even supply a litre of top up oil as the car is expected to use some.

Something to do with steel pistons rather than alloy being used if I recall.

Thank you everyone for your replies. We are in talks with dealer now but needed some general feedback to confirm our own worries.

Dealer has said it is normal to use oil but 2 top ups in 800 miles is too excessive for our liking! Each time the oil had dropped to below half full...................

28 minutes ago, ulfire said:

Two top ups in 800 miles is certainly not normal . :huh:

Can't await Renault's reply, my money says they say it is.

Edited to say,

Sorry, missed the last reply, as in "I told you so"

48 minutes ago, turboted10 said:

Can't await Renault's reply, my money says they say it is.

Edited to say,

Sorry, missed the last reply, as in "I told you so"

It was what I was thinking Ted . I didn't write because I don't want to be accused of being a malcontent again ;)

Always remember the late and great Ken Tyrell having an argument with a service advisor when I worked for VW, as his Golf was using a fair amount of oil (in the handbook it stated a litre every 1000 was within tolerances), he was saying that his F1 engines didn't burn that much oil.

My guesses for the problem would be:

- wrong oil on change;

- failing turbo (listen for whistling noises and blue smoke from the exhaust);

- burned out or misaligned sealing of the oil casing (check for a leakage under the car).

15 hours ago, HTP99 said:

Always remember the late and great Ken Tyrell having an argument with a service advisor when I worked for VW, as his Golf was using a fair amount of oil (in the handbook it stated a litre every 1000 was within tolerances), he was saying that his F1 engines didn't burn that much oil.

I think the phrase "machining tolerance" would come into play here, I've picked through boxes of standard pistons trying to match up a set for engine rebuilds, you would not believe the different measured against each other. Look at how closely they are matched in formula 1, do Renault/Nissan or even VW do that for bog standard road cars???

The problem isn't whether it's using oil or otherwise, it's how the supplier sees it and the company stance.

Just so I make this clear, I've had kit and track cars along with road cars all my adult life and I've never had 1 use oil unless it was wrongly put together or on it's way out, so like the OP I'd be really worried, BUT, I've never had to take an issue to a dealer who is programmed to say there isn't a problem.

OP, can you quantify exactly how much oil has been used, you say down to half twice in 800 miles. 1/2 on the gauge or dipstick probably equates to about 2/3 of a litre each time as from the high to low marks is about 1 to 1.5 litres, usually. You are going to need solid facts to get anywhere unless you see clouds of smoke, hear noises or have a puddle under the car.

On 25/04/2018 at 7:14 PM, Whitevanman said:

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me the usual amount of oil used during normal motoring , say for 1000 miles, as i seem to be using more than i would expect

Thankyou

It seems to be a feature of Renault cars, everyone I’ve owned has done this. I thought having a 20years break from Renault this would have been resolved by now! Guess not, I reckon they have shares in oil 😂 

I don’t think I will ever buy Renault again! Shame really as they make good looking cars.

38 minutes ago, janeyandpaul said:

It seems to be a feature of Renault cars, everyone I’ve owned has done this. I thought having a 20years break from Renault this would have been resolved by now! Guess not, I reckon they have shares in oil 😂 

I don’t think I will ever buy Renault again! Shame really as they make good looking cars.

The Elf sticker, (oil company) on all there cars rear windows does make you wonder, :D  They make really good cars, if there is less Nissan input.

1 hour ago, janeyandpaul said:

Sorry to hear your problem. But I think there must be a problem with the engine on your car and trouble like this, though rare, it is not confind to Renault.  Make a visit to the dealer, bang on their desk at recpetion and don't give up on a French Renault, unless of course you think Peugeot or Citroen might be better. But not a Italian Fiat as that uses a lot of oil in reverse gear. ;) 

Best car I ever had (when a was young!) was a Renault 19 16v in the early 1990's and lucky me it was a company car.  A wonderfull "speed machine", days sadly now long gone. :(image.png.2bf2f106431918e50cafef8525324d36.png

To Mr Ulfire, I wouldn't try to take your malcontent title, you get the crap you have the right to share it

RTF, the last poster doesn't have the issues, it's white van man, but having thought about that I'm not going to stand his corner, :rolleyes:

We have now been back to the dealer who admitted something was amiss when the car used more than one litre of oil in 800 miles. the car was purchased secondhand with only 11,000 miles on the clock.

The dealer was indeed very helpful and without any question replaced the car for another car. We did pay some more but for a newer model and with fewer miles.

We are now hoping for trouble free motoring.......fingers crossed.

Thankyou everyone for your replies