Low MPG vs Advertised on 1.2 TCE
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

Does anyone else with a 2015+ 1.2 TCE get low MPG vs what was advertised?

I am getting 29.1mpg average in the Kadjar with predominantly town & dual carriage way driving but I was expecting closer to 45mpg.

My old Kia Rio 3 (1.4) produced 37mpg and was less efficient engine and same driving style.

Is this a common issue, or should I get my Kadjar checked out?

Thanks,

Ian

1 hour ago, Chadders said:

Hi,

Does anyone else with a 2015+ 1.2 TCE get low MPG vs what was advertised?

I am getting 29.1mpg average in the Kadjar with predominantly town & dual carriage way driving but I was expecting closer to 45mpg.

My old Kia Rio 3 (1.4) produced 37mpg and was less efficient engine and same driving style.

Is this a common issue, or should I get my Kadjar checked out?

Thanks,

Ian

Don't think there's anything wrong, the Honest John site gives more realistic mpg figures:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg

My opinion is that having a Turbo in a petrol engine makes the car more likely to be thirsty; you've got to pay for acceleration!  With our 1.2 petrol Kadjar we get ~25 mpg for just town driving [where the engine hardly warms-up to full temperature] and with a 50:50 mix of motorway/A-roads that goes up to ~37 mpg

I don't think there is anything wrong with your car. The 1.2 TCE, depending on type of journeys etc., is thirsty. I've been getting low thirties all winter and have resigned myself to the fact. I don't have to commute and can please myself when and if I drive. I tend to take the longest route shopping just to get the engine up to working temperature. I realise that this improves my mpg, but at the same time I am having to drive more miles. Therefore no benefit, but hey, life is sometimes shit. I am hoping that the onset of warmer weather will bring improvements. I had my first service two days ago which entailed a 12 mile drive down the M1 to the dealers. My mpg for the journey back was 38.9 (constant 65-70 mph) so anyone having a long commute to work via Motorways will naturally get more respectable figures. Let's hope the new 1.3 engine will be more economical when it comes into service. Otherwise I'll be looking elsewhere for a replacement.

Hi. I got my 1.2 Kadjar sig nav on 30th September and have already covered 11000 miles! Have just completed my longest trip so far - Inverness to Birmingham 443 miles at an indicated 38.1mpg. That’s about the best I have ever achieved, round town is closer to 30mpg. Nowhere near the figures quoted by salesman (high 40’s ha ha) but it is a really enjoyable drive, very comfortable and so far everything works as it should!

Cheers for the replies.

Its reassuring its not just my one at least, but is a tad annoying when they advertise it with a much higher MPG.

Has anyone got a "true" mpg for Eco mode?

No, I've never used it on the Kadjar. It drives great without and I'm not prepared to jeopardise that just for the sake of a couple of mpg more. I used it all the time on my previous Captur but that was a lighter car.

37 minutes ago, Chadders said:

Cheers for the replies.

Its reassuring its not just my one at least, but is a tad annoying when they advertise it with a much higher MPG.

Things are a changing with car manufacturers and how emissions and fuel consumption are measured, http://wltpfacts.eu/what-is-wltp-how-will-it-work/ this is coming in from September.

7 hours ago, Chadders said:

Cheers for the replies.

Yes, and this is for a 1.5dci, probably the most economical engine in the range.

You will get, assuming around 50mpg overall in none eco mode, an improvement of about 1 mpg with ECO switched in. 

Have tried this many times and never betters that.

Leave it switched off, the car is more pleasant to drive and not really wasting fuel.

Are we all talking about the EDC auto version of the 1.2 TCE here? Agree with 30 mpg round London and 38mpg on a 60-70mph road. I have a plug and play tuning box  to try once the car has had its towbar fitted. It is the one here  https://tdi-tuning.com/car/renault/kadjar/12-tce-128-bhp-130-ps-96-kw-205-nm-151-lbft/crtd4-multi-channel-petrol-tuning-box-chip

After more torque for towing. Will see how mpg goes. Quick test run was noticeable improvement pulling uphill.Says 160 BHP ( stock 130BHP)  252Nm (stock 205Nm)