Day time running light settings
6 6

38 posts in this topic

Hi Rob this has driven me nuts for ages.( excuse the pun )

The answer to your question is no, it's not a Renult problem 

it's a Euro regulation although why they think you need to be 

seen from the front but not for the back defy's all logic to me.

How i get round the problem is to turn the lighting stalk round

to manual dipped headlights then back one notch so it leaves

the sidelights on. This still leaves the LED daylight running lights

on but ilummenats the rear of the car.

Now i have found that when i have switched off the engine

the next time i restart it say the next morning you should

find that if you look at the dash you will see that the side

light indicater lump is on.

The only problem is that on a dismal or foggy day we will

have to remember to switch on the dipped headlights

otherwise the fog lights well not switch on.

Im sorry this is such a long explanation but hope it

has helped. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Robgcoll said:

Hi Daren,

Was it an easy mod?

It involves running an ignition power feed to the back of the vehicle. 

Cutting the sidelight feed at the light installing a couple of diodes at each light, not forgetting the tailgate lights so a power feed needs to run into the tailgate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Robgcoll said:

Thanks Elo55, I’ll give that a try in the morning. Are the drl’s still as bright when switching to side lights only? Usually they have to dim slightly?

Yes they dim,due to the fact they would be too bright 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot understand all the fuss about rear lights on.. the reason for drls was drivers to be seen, to prevent others drivers pulling out in front of them etc. Before drls you would just put your side lights or dipped head lights on. Biggest problem is dash is light up and people forget to turn on their lights at dusk thinking their lights are on. The kadjar has auto head lights if yours does not just turn your lights on, like we did all those years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ulfire said:

Or maybe just switch your headlights on ? Degree of difficulty zero :D

With all due respect this topic was about front driving LED's and the possibilty of rear LED lights being on at the same time, not headlights.  Degree of understanding the original question zero!  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

With all due respect this topic was about front driving LED's and the possibilty of rear LED lights being on at the same time, not headlights.  Degree of understanding the original question zero!  :lol:

I understood the topic question was and the simple answer is switch the headlights on and , hey presto , so do the rear lights . What's the problem ? I'm in total agreement with Roxy1234 's post :- "I cannot understand all the fuss about rear lights on.. the reason for drls was drivers to be seen, to prevent others drivers pulling out in front of them etc. Before drls you would just put your side lights or dipped head lights on. Biggest problem is dash is light up and people forget to turn on their lights at dusk thinking their lights are on. The kadjar has auto head lights if yours does not just turn your lights on, like we did all those years ago."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

With all due respect this topic was about front driving LED's and the possibilty of rear LED lights being on at the same time, not headlights.  Degree of understanding the original question zero!  :lol:

That's a bit harsh ....drls are for the front its about safety of going forward... rear side light because that's what they are is about low visibility .. at dusk side lights/head lights. Poor visibility rain/ fog/ snow then head lights, fog lights should be used..  The power of led lights would detract from the effectiveness of brake lights during the day when visibility is normal... as for rewiring your car I would not its a mine field and for what..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, darenh said:

With all due respect, as well, all my mods that I have done ‘how tos’ for are tried and tested.

 More importantly as an approved SAS Renault Conversion Specailist, Peugeot and Mercedes, any of these mods I would use, and have used on a commercial basis.

i would also guarantee that a vehicle I have been involved with won’t be to far away from any UK resident.

 

Spot on ... I just think unless you have your knowledge I would not touch it with a barge pole..I  have just fitted the Renault tow bar and a 13 pin plug.. that was easy plug and play at a cost of £540 from Glyn Hopkins that's  my limit its all working fine.. all I  would ask darned with your knowledge is where would you take the live for the charging of the caravan while we are towing.. regards..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re the Renault ( made by Bosel ) retractable towbar : Renault list in their MRRP price list as £615 fitted. I also looked at the Glyn Hopkins supply only of £540 ( loom plus bar)   but reckon £75 to fit is is a bargain. They need to use the dealer tool to disable rear parking sensors when a cable plugged into the 13pin trailer socket .The dealer quoted £800+ at first until I directed him to the Renault accessory page .... https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/kadjar/accessories.html

 

 

tow
 

Retractable tow bar - £615

Retracted in a single movement. Available on demand without any tools or effort required. Invisible when retracted under the bumper to preserve your KADJAR's style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MD99 said:

Re the Reanault ( made by Bosel ) retractable towbar : Renault list in their MRRP price list as £615 fitted. I also looked at the Glyn Hopkins supply only of £540 ( loom plus bar)   but reckon £75 to fit is is a bargain. They need to use the dealer tool to disable rear parking sensors when a cable plugged into the 13pin trailer socket .The dealer quoted £800+ at first until I directed him to the Renault accessory page .... https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/kadjar/accessories.html

 

 

tow
 

Retractable tow bar - £615

Retracted in a single movement. Available on demand without any tools or effort required. Invisible when retracted under the bumper to preserve your KADJAR's style. 

Well that was not on line because I would have had them to fit it, had the dealer to do fix when it wen into service last week. To their credit the reset it free as it was being plugged in for service..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darenh said:

With all due respect, as well, all my mods that I have done ‘how tos’ for are tried and tested.

 More importantly as an approved SAS Renault Conversion Specailist, Peugeot and Mercedes, any of these mods I would use, and have used on a commercial basis.

i would also guarantee that a vehicle I have been involved with won’t be to far away from any UK resident.

 

Daren,

I asked whether it was an easy mod!! Not whether the work you have carried out to your car is professional or not! What I meant was... I my self wouldn’t attempt to do what you have done because I may damage my car in the process and void the warranty!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roxy1234 said:

That's a bit harsh ....drls are for the front its about safety of going forward... rear side light because that's what they are is about low visibility .. at dusk side lights/head lights. Poor visibility rain/ fog/ snow then head lights, fog lights should be used..  The power of led lights would detract from the effectiveness of brake lights during the day when visibility is normal... as for rewiring your car I would not its a mine field and for what..

The only reason I ask the question was because my other car is a new Volvo XC60 and the back lights are on all the time! Not just when the side lights or headlights are on.  I think this is a good idea aspecially on dull days. I don’t think it’s just Volvo, I think other manufacturers also do the same.. Just wanted to know whether there was a setting that would activate the back lights..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Robgcoll said:

The only reason I ask the question was because my other car is a new Volvo XC60 and the back lights are on all the time! Not just when the side lights or headlights are on.  I think this is a good idea aspecially on dull days. I don’t think it’s just Volvo, I think other manufacturers also do the same.. Just wanted to know whether there was a setting that would activate the back lights..

Volvo Saab etc was the 1st company to have daytime lights so it could be a new thing . I do feel that if it a dull day then you as the driver should know if lights are required... all this automatic stuff is taking away the thinking of the drivers... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Roxy1234 said:

Volvo Saab etc was the 1st company to have daytime lights so it could be a new thing . I do feel that if it a dull day then you as the driver should know if lights are required... all this automatic stuff is taking away the thinking of the drivers... 

Yes, you are right, I get really annoyed with drivers who don’t put there lights on when it’s raining, foggy etc. So for them I think it’s a good thing. I can never trust the auto lights in poor whether! I always put them on manually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have stopped using auto lights for the following reason.

There is a railway bridge near me, only just length of a bus, & the auto lights setting will turn the dipped headlights on , during the day, then go off as I exit the bridge after 25m.

There is a minor side junction on my left at 30m from the exit of the bridge & vehicles have repeatedly pulled out in front of me in thinking ( incorrectly) that I have flashed my Kadjar lights and thinking (incorrectly) that this means anything other than 'I am here' ( just like a car horn is meant to convey). This is on my usual route from home & has only happened in the Kadjar with auto lights.

I think the front DRLs are a good idea & it is an EU directive now anyway & agree that it is probably best to have no rear DRLs as these may ,as others say, mean the brake lights coming on are not as noticeable during the day.I have no doubt that many people have full competance in modifying things as I do myself.

As long as any changes you make  dont fall foul of the ' construction & use regulations' that might possibly invalidate insurance, which is much more serious than invalidating any warranty some people are worried about. ( Not me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/04/2018 at 11:21 PM, darenh said:

Whatever, exactly why I don’t do ‘how tos’ on her any more, because of reactions like yours.  

Darren, he has a very valid point, to many youtube heros end up screwing up the electrics and electronics so a valid reminder is perfectly acceptable imho

I was told on here that the reas came on with the DRL's, makes sense, why not. If you check they stay on for a while so I was convinced that was that but it isn't, it was mis-information.

I now switch from auto to sides everytime it isn't dark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

6 6