• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

4WD version tyre types

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

Just had the rear axle tyres changed on our Kadjar. They are the same make (Michelin) on that axle but differ from the make on the front axle (Pirelli’s). Having come from a Landry background where we always used the same tyre on all four corners does anyone know if this could be a problem on the Kadjar when switching to Auto 4WD mode?

I’d ask my garage but I’m in France and I don’t think they’d understand the question with my limited vocabulary. I’ve checked the manual but it doesn’t say anything particular.

cheers

23 minutes ago, marcus28 said:

Hi guys, 

Just had the rear axle tyres changed on our Kadjar. They are the same make (Michelin) on that axle but differ from the make on the front axle (Pirelli’s). Having come from a Landry background where we always used the same tyre on all four corners does anyone know if this could be a problem on the Kadjar when switching to Auto 4WD mode?

I’d ask my garage but I’m in France and I don’t think they’d understand the question with my limited vocabulary. I’ve checked the manual but it doesn’t say anything particular.

cheers

I would not say it makes Any different, it's auto 4wd not permanent only rule would be same tread depth on tyres on same axel so a new tyre and a part worn could cause a problem . As for different makes  front to rear it personal choice. My 4/4 has the same tyres on front and mix on rear garage I bought it from did this. When I come to change them I will fit the same make on the axel ...

Hi Yes i know what you mean I to prefer all tyres same on 4 x 4 but in auto back only comes in if front rotation is greater than rear so if front tyre is larger then it will have to slip more for rear to come in if front is smaller then it will in theory cause rear to work sooner maybe all the time now that said what if you use front only for say ten thousand miles now fronts are worn and now smaller so if you engage auto will it do any damage I would not think so , so the answer is no, don’t worry but I would go fo all same when new shoes needed

JC😎😎🥃🥃

7 minutes ago, J C said:

Hi Yes i know what you mean I to prefer all tyres same on 4 x 4 but in auto back only comes in if front rotation is greater than rear so if front tyre is larger then it will have to slip more for rear to come in if front is smaller then it will in theory cause rear to work sooner maybe all the time now that said what if you use front only for say ten thousand miles now fronts are worn and now smaller so if you engage auto will it do any damage I would not think so , so the answer is no, don’t worry but I would go fo all same when new shoes needed

JC😎😎🥃🥃

On the steering wheel you will see the multiple pages symbol.. press this and you get the top right hand corner change , compass, music playing , next command on sat nav, and 4wd status showing how much drive front to back .. 

Hi. ROXY1234 as you say tread depth in an ideal world best same but also do not forget different tyres / makes have a different rolling radius for same size of tyre that is to say different revolutions per mile so could in theory upset 4x4 but I suspect this was all taken into account on that drawing board , will I think be more of a problem in locked 4x4??? 

JC😎😎🥃🥃

Locked 4x4 would cause a problem but only being able to use at low speed and lots of wheel spin, it would be most unlikely as you said. Having owned a few xtrails which have the same set up as the kadjar not had any problems to date..

Thanks for all the info guys, puts my mind to rest. The front tyres are only about 1500km newer than the rears. So tread all round is excellent. Don’t do too much in permanent 4WD except in winter on our slippery hill. Mostly just auto when it’s wet on our small back roads.