• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Car won't start every rim plus check start stop comes up on dash
3 3

10 posts in this topic

Having problems with my Kadjar starting sometimes starts straight away other times it tries to start but won't fire up. On the dash is says check start stop any advice greatly appreciated. 

Agree for some reason this beast needs a lot of power !  I’m thinking of having a spare 6 volt battery (motor cycle battery) next to the main battery in series so it has still 12 v but got the extra current too. There’s plenty space ?

2 hours ago, WorWilly said:

Agree for some reason this beast needs a lot of power !  I’m thinking of having a spare 6 volt battery (motor cycle battery) next to the main battery in series so it has still 12 v but got the extra current too. There’s plenty space ?

For batteries in Series, you add the volts - so your idea would give an 18V battery - not recommended! If you put them in parallel the 12V one would shove current backwards through the 6V one, with DANGEROUS consequences. You could use a diode to block the reverse current, but it would have to be able to handle big currents [100A+], and would drop the 6V down by at least a volt itself. If the original battery isn't up-to-the-job, then the answer is to use a higher-capacity one.....

So it started when it was new, now you’re having problems starting.

is the current battery turning the engine over,  then not?

What engine do you have, gas it been serviced, etc looking for an underlying problem here.

But first things first, what about the battery, doing a voltage check is useless, it needs to be tested under load. Could be a faulty cell etc.

as the last poster said, you are more likely to cause damage not only to the battery and the cars electronic system, potentially, but to yourself if the 6 v battery fails.

you don’t say how old it is either.

Or you could be just trying to wind us up!

2 hours ago, Johnbridge said:

For batteries in Series, you add the volts - so your idea would give an 18V battery - not recommended! If you put them in parallel the 12V one would shove current backwards through the 6V one, with DANGEROUS consequences. You could use a diode to block the reverse current, but it would have to be able to handle big currents [100A+], and would drop the 6V down by at least a volt itself. If the original battery isn't up-to-the-job, then the answer is to use a higher-capacity one.....

Thanks, I knew there was a reason for such a simple fix, and why no one was doing it    LOL

Hi Yes but also you could if you wanted to ,  add a second 12v battery run side by side wire negative to negative and positive to positive  that would give extra capacity  I think ???????

Now to starting problem is it not under warranty get it in to a dealer and  get it sorted for free seems most sensible to me but hey always was a little slow myself ( not that bright) 

JC😎😎🥃🥃

8 hours ago, darenh said:

So it started when it was new, now you’re having problems starting.

is the current battery turning the engine over,  then not?

What engine do you have, gas it been serviced, etc looking for an underlying problem here.

But first things first, what about the battery, doing a voltage check is useless, it needs to be tested under load. Could be a faulty cell etc.

as the last poster said, you are more likely to cause damage not only to the battery and the cars electronic system, potentially, but to yourself if the 6 v battery fails.

you don’t say how old it is either.

Or you could be just trying to wind us up!

Darren, you seem to have some inside info, is this chap a wind up, or just missing something. You can add a 2nd battery , needs to be 12V and in parallel. but the answer is find out if the existing one is duff because no amount of bolstering up will fix that.

Well if you had a £100 car you might attempt to stick a battery in parallel to get it going.  We used to leave the 6v starters on old Bettles as they could take the short burst,  however it’s a different kettle of fish nowadays, cars are packed with electronics and I dare say they will cope with the extra voltage as much as they work down to a lower voltage.

But get down to the root cause first.

I work with multi battery systems in vehicles split charge, emergency start smart charging if something don’t work that’s been working then its a case of rectifying the problem, not cover it up.