Battery when running dash cam from electrical socket
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Going to use the electrical socket to power my dash cam rather than hard wiring as i don't want to risk my warranty, my question is if i leave it constantly plugged in will it cause my car battery to go flat or does the socket only work when the car is started?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, J C said:

Hi Yes socket in front only works when ignition turned on, the  one in the rear is permanently live 

JC😎😎🥃🥃

Not a lot of people know that Michael, :D, (i didn't). My dash cam has a knock sensor, but given the internal battery only holds for about 20 seconds it's pretty useless, will try it into the rear socket. Could have an added benefit as my car is parked at the bottom of the drive and covers the front and side of the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only problem is the kadjar  can have problems when the battery level drops, have seen posts on here about cars shutting down when battery level is reduced, lots of things on the kadjar only seem to work when there is 100% power in the battery... this could be the reason why the radio only runs for a short time if switched on with engine off..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roxy1234 said:

Only problem is the kadjar  can have problems when the battery level drops, have seen posts on here about cars shutting down when battery level is reduced, lots of things on the kadjar only seem to work when there is 100% power in the battery... this could be the reason why the radio only runs for a short time if switched on with engine off..

The camera I have will use less power than the standard alarm so no worries. Plus, I'm a big believer in the fact that if your battery isn't 100% serviceable, I'd sooner it fail after overnighting on the drive. Long gone are the days when I had to park my car on a hill 1/2 mile from work just to ensure I could do a roll start with it's dodgy battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

În my Kadjar the front is on only when the engine is running. The back one stays on as long as the electrical system (lights, navigation ) is on. Since I unlock the car until it switches off (couple of minutes after locking) I have power in the back one. There is a click sound that you can hear if you stay in the car and lock the car, and that sound is the switch that cuts the electrical input to the unnecessary consumers in the car, including rear socket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get it. Why do you need constant power to the dashcam? Mine has battery which also lasts about 20 mins, but why would you need more? It only activates if the sensor detects movement and records a couple of minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AOne said:

I don't get it. Why do you need constant power to the dashcam? Mine has battery which also lasts about 20 mins, but why would you need more? It only activates if the sensor detects movement and records a couple of minutes.

Because a dash cam can also act as an intruder/vandel alert, action that wouldn't trigger it's knock sensor which would have been disabled minutes after you walked away from the car due to dead internal battery.

I can think of loads of reasons to want a constant power feed to one socket, for goodness sake it wasn't long ago we had to leave parking lights on all night if parked in the street, if your battery was healthy then all was well. You simply plugged a clip on white/red light into the ciggy socket and stuck it on the car window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, and how much memory would you need to record an entire day or night? Mine is with 32GB if I remember correctly, and after few hours, It starts to record over the first files. If you need such video surveillance, It's better to start thinking of an external devise, mounted to a house or fence. It's not a job for a dash cam, having in mind it only records to front and eventually to the rear if you have fitted the second cam in the set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, AOne said:

Ok, and how much memory would you need to record an entire day or night? Mine is with 32GB if I remember correctly, and after few hours, It starts to record over the first files. If you need such video surveillance, It's better to start thinking of an external devise, mounted to a house or fence. It's not a job for a dash cam, having in mind it only records to front and eventually to the rear if you have fitted the second cam in the set. 

It's just something it could do whilst it was asleep if only the power supply stayed on. But my comments about a bump are the most valid, only needs to be on and have a few gig to catch that, can't do it if no power????

My neighbours roof badly damaged my daughters car many years ago during a winter storm, footage of that would have been invaluable but car was parked to the side of the house out of range of home cctv.

I have home security as above, but you can never have too much,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As said be warned a drop of only 5 o/o of the battery and the car won’t start    For some idiotic reason the battery has to be at 95 o/o. You’d think they would supply a 6v spare one for emergency. I’ve been caught short waiting 15 mins outside shops having the radio on. It does however warn you after 5 mins though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You sure about that, my qashqai (same battery) was quick charged by the RAC to just 12.3v, approx 50% full charge he told me, full charge being around 12.7 volts static.

 The car started easily first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Yes suspect if 15 mins listening to radio is enough for a car not to start I would be looking for a new battery and or checking if charging correctly    🤔should do a lot longer than that in my opinion  🙃 how long if you park with PARKING LIGHTS  on I wonder????🤔🤔🤔🤔

JC😎😎🥃🥃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

2 2