Faulty alarm
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Evening, I’ve been following this forum since I bought my 15 plate Kadjar in August 2017 and am desperately hoping for some advice. Apologies in advance for the long post.

My Kadjars alarm doesn’t seem to like me (or anyone on my street) sleeping! Since I bought it it routinely goes off in the middle of the night for no reason...no pattern really to day/time but usually between the hours of midnight and 6am. It also goes off in the day occasionally but I only know this from the beeps when I unlock car as I’m usually at work. Following some older threads on here I’ve tried the obvious things like adjusting the internal sensor pillars, Ive even out of pure desperation for my neighbours used blutack over them but nothing has worked. The final straw was the alarm blaring all the way into work down a busy street with nothing working to switch it off. It’s now been in the dealers for 6 days but they are saying it’s not triggered once while in there (not sure how this is possible when it’s only ever gone 3 days before). They did tell me that the last owner complained of the same issue and had the internal sensors replaced but they’ve drawn a blank with mine and looks like nothing will be done as the alarm hasn’t triggered. The advice I got from Renault was that it might be cats?!? But I owned a Captur for 3 years without any problems and unless the neighbourhood cats are now on steroids I think this is unlikely. I know it’s a big ask but does anyone have any advice or have you been through a similar thing?  

Thanks from a very tired owner.

i used to fit alarm systems third party on cars and most often the false alarm is caused by the internal sensors, dose the alarm bleep when you switch off? count them they can tell you what triggered it.

also common for false alarms are 

bonnet swich

low battery 

and believe it or not domestic microwave ovens, or a similar device activating the proximity sensor 

as its a cat1 alarm the alarm has an internal backup battery, this is also a potential fault 

hope this helps 

Only time my alarm seemed to go off randomly is when I only pressed door handle button once to lock instead of twice which I believe double locks it, never use my key card for locking or unlocking just keep in pocket.

Mine very occasionally has a spell of nighttime activation, I park it on the driveway.  Annoying, but as it's infrequent, I just put it down to a spider or fly in the car - I've never previously considered the cat possibility!

When it happens I then lock the doors only, disabling the internal sensors and it's never repeated after that - nor has it happened for the last 2 weeks (touch wood). I use only my keycard manually, never walk-away auto-locking.

Thank you everyone, update from dealers they waiting for advice from the alarm company in Romania I believe but as the alarm hasn’t sounded in the day while it’s there they aren’t going to do anything else at moment :( I’m off to pick car back up armed with phone video for any future triggers so I can at least prove it’s happening. 

I’m going to try all the ideas and fingers crossed something works....thank you again.

11 hours ago, Kelace said:

Thank you everyone, update from dealers they waiting for advice from the alarm company in Romania I believe but as the alarm hasn’t sounded in the day while it’s there they aren’t going to do anything else at moment :( I’m off to pick car back up armed with phone video for any future triggers so I can at least prove it’s happening. 

I’m going to try all the ideas and fingers crossed something works....thank you again.

Just a thought, have you tried to deactivate the internal sensors, the way you would if you had a pet locked in the car. Lock the car with the fob and hold down until you get 4 bleeps (if I remember correctly). Might narrow the reason down a little.

Ive had same problems it should be being replaced they have had to get authorisation from cobra i think in Romania [i think that's been a challenge for them] its a new unit and sensors.

3 hours ago, turboted10 said:

Just another item to add to the list of how early buyers never got their issues resolved?

True , and shows their tardiness in getting most issues resolved . On another note  I hear that Renault and Nissan are merging and possibly changing the brand name . Does this mean that the QQ or KJ will disappear in the future ?

Given the market sector for Medium sized SUV's I doubt it, it's just too large a market place to risk losing sales. Also their are people who have a brand dislike and would never dream of say owning a french car and the other side who wouldn't entertain Nissan. Nowt as queer as folks

Update (another long post sorry).....I’ve had the worst day ever with the delearship :( I don’t like to be so negative but honestly I’m at my wits end. Agreed to collect the car while they wait for alarm company for advice but say alarm hasn’t activated at all and they don’t think it’s faulty..on collection the car parked exactly where I left it....doesn’t looked to have moved at all and about 150m (round a corner) from the service area where they are supposed to know if it’s gone off. Set off driving and puncture warning comes (didn’t have a puncture when I dropped it off) on so pull back in and ask mechanics to check it as I have to drive 20 miles home in torrential rain. To cut a long story short mechanic refused to blow tyre up and just reset puncture alarm without telling me as they were too busy...after I got manager involved they inflated it but still couldn’t see the problem with not doing that initially! Had the car back 7 hours and alarm gone off again 😡 so I now have a faulty alarm and a puncture! I genuinely don’t know how to take this forward...Renault have been helpful so far but don’t seem to be taking me seriously as the garage said it not activated. I also found out that previous owner had exactly same problem but this doesn’t seem to hold any sway with them. 

Thsnk you for all your answers...I feel better knowing others have had the same problems. I have resorted at night to disarming the internal sensors which does work but according to records the previous owner had new internal sensors so I can only assume it’s a bigger problem than just that. 

I will be ringing Renault after the Bank holiday and only thing I think is to demand a complete new alarm and they can keep the car till it’s done (regardless of time). 

Hi might be worth trying a different dealer as that one don’t sound to good to me if happy to send car out with a puncture and don’t forget to name and shame then we can all avoid good luck and do let us know how you get on😟

JC 😎😎🥃🥃

As JC says, the dealership choice is a is a lottery and you can always go elsewhere. I wouldn't get hung up over the alarm provided disarming the sensors stops you annoying the neighbours. Modern car electronics mean even if someone got into your car and the alarm didn't sound, the immobilisation would prevent the cars theft, admitted it won't protect belongings,

The puncture issue is just a fact of life, it could have happened prior to you getting to the garage and is annoying but .............................., the treatment you got post puncture is why you should go elsewhere,

Having calmed down your right about the tyre- had no issue with having a puncture (these things happen) was more annoyed by the dire customer service. Renault have just been in touch and they are taking the car back in and raising the technical issue with the alarm company to try and resolve it, got to say cannot fault the effort they are making. I will be disarming the sensors of an evening so I’m not on edge all night 😄 but really want the issue sorting long term mainly so some other poor sod doesn’t have to go through all this if I sell it.  Thanks for the replies,

Kelly

I had the same problem. I find every now and then for some reason the system needs a reminder as such. Next time it goes off unlock the car then lock it again but hold the lock button for a good 5 seconds

since ive been doing that about every 7 weeks it’s stopped going off. Just as I say about 7 weeks later it goes off and I reset it