What is the point of daytime running lights?
2 2

32 posts in this topic

They are required in the name of safety, so as to make a car more visible, however I think they have detrimental effect as you see loads of cars out there in the dark with just their DRL's lit and not their main lights on, as people can see a bit of light out of the front of their car so they assume that is fine.

I have heard that auto lights will soon become mandatory too.

Just two things to add to the list of taking personal responsibility away and making drivers ever more stupid and less likely to think about what they have to do "it's ok they are automatic so I don't need to think about it".

From the same Gov UK doc quoted in the other thread.

"Research has shown that DRLs are likely to reduce multiple vehicle daytime accidents and fatalities by up to 6% once all vehicles are equipped. DRL are likely to result in a small increase in fuel consumption and CO² emissions of around 0.5% but this is expected to be lower when LEDs are used in place of filament light sources."

All good stuff but there is a serious issue of how manufacturers integrate these into headlight clusters. My local MOT guy alerted me to this and when I can put my finger on the quote I'll post it but;

Many brands and this includes Renault position the DRL's where they conflict with turn signal lights. IE they are brighter than the turn signal lamps, which are usually normal filament lamps. In other words with daytime running lights on, you see the turn signal later.

Noticed how folks fail to read your intention to turn left when approaching a main road tee junction?, I have

Maybe 

when LEDs are used in place of filament light sources."

that will end the issue

A guy from our local forum said he has a problem with DRL. He said they dim, when blinker is on. We supposed it's a new feature in the 2018 Kadjar models.

13 hours ago, HTP99 said:

Many DRL's now dim when the indicators are on, so the indicator is more visible. 

I didn't know but it sounds like a good move. I've had a few folks waving their arms at me thinking I'm signalling late, they do mask the indicators on some cars, Kadjar included

why we have daytime lights 

Bloody Europe thats why 

thank god for brexit 

and whos noticed the fog light turns on in the direction your turning when the lights are on.

my friends kaj was coming down the road he swerved to miss a obstacle first the right then the left flashed looked like a xmas tree 

I think Sweden was the first to use them in the 1970's . I think they are pretty sensible given that many drivers don't even bother to switch on their sidelights in poor daytime  visibility situations .

The alternating / cornering fog lights can be  a pain though , very confusing for oncoming traffic at times

1 hour ago, shedder101 said:

why we have daytime lights 

Bloody Europe thats why 

thank god for brexit 

and whos noticed the fog light turns on in the direction your turning when the lights are on.

my friends kaj was coming down the road he swerved to miss a obstacle first the right then the left flashed looked like a xmas tree 

Yeah, I read about that in the blurb about the cornering lights before I got the car, can't say I really find it beneficial as the bonnet is so high and the lamps range out before the kerbs become visible over the bonnet.

Nothing Brexit does will affect cars imported imported into Britain, most directives are sensible and will still be adopted, plus Euro manfs aren't going to change the spec just for us. I very much doubt cars produced here, if any still are post Brexit, will change for exactly the opposite reason.

1 hour ago, ulfire said:

I think they are pretty sensible given that many drivers don't even bother to switch on their sidelights in poor daytime  visibility situations .

I agree actually. It's not having the lights it's the way that they integrate with the rest of the headlight cluster. On many models they wrap around the indicator which isn't good.

15 hours ago, shedder101 said:

you defo know how to cheer a bloke up turboted, we could live in hope that british sanity will prevail again 

Turboted ever thought of a job the samaritans.....:lol: 

I'm just a realist, spelt p e s i m i....................;)    

The thing is that there is so much stuff in place that it would prove impossible to remove, or possibly impractical and as our continental buddies would say, "you can't cherry pick" 

On 16/03/2018 at 0:12 PM, RTFishall said:

DRL's help to counteract the idiot drivers who do not put their lights on in poor visability and at least then one has a chance of seeing them coming.

Does that outweigh the fact that oncoming drivers can't see a turn signal in normal conditions? it may just do, but daytime running lights are designed to give added visibility even in good conditions, not compensate for idiots.

57 minutes ago, turboted10 said:

Does that outweigh the fact that oncoming drivers can't see a turn signal in normal conditions? it may just do, but daytime running lights are designed to give added visibility even in good conditions, not compensate for idiots.

When I saw a bus looming up on me out of the mists on the Brecon Beacons with no lights on , believe me indicators didn't mean much ....:D

is it so important you cant see the indicator on the car coming towards you? just the lights show you they are their 

i don't care if i see them, i won't move till i see them turn its to easy to forget to turn them off 

2 hours ago, turboted10 said:

Sorry but I don't get your point. Are you saying that DRL's hinder a turn signal to oncoming vehicles? To me the important thing about indicators are the rear ones. Also, whilst I firmly believe DRL's are a good idea they add no visability to the driver in either good or poor lighting. They are purely to make you more visable to others and thats a good thing.

14 hours ago, RTFishall said:

Sorry but I don't get your point. Are you saying that DRL's hinder a turn signal to oncoming vehicles? To me the important thing about indicators are the rear ones. Also, whilst I firmly believe DRL's are a good idea they add no visability to the driver in either good or poor lighting. They are purely to make you more visable to others and thats a good thing.

That's what "visibility" means, is makes you more visible to others. Given your reply you clearly do get the point.

I'm not talking about poor conditions as I said above either good or bad. The point is they frustrate others if they can't tell if there;s a signal being given or not. It's a recognised fact hence the way things are changing to dimmed drl's when the indicators are on.

Remember the highway code, not a word for word quote but "always give a signal when it will be a benefit to others", how they make use of your signal re pulling out before they see a car turn is their choice.

How come they can't see the indicators? There are lights even on the side mirrors. Anyway, on the new models, the led turns off when the indicators are on. 

I really like the cornering lights. They're really helpful when entering and exiting our parking place and when cornering in tight turns. But it helps only when there's no street lightning (very dark). Otherwise it's meaningless, cause they're too weak. 

56 minutes ago, turboted10 said:

That's what "visibility" means, is makes you more visible to others. Given your reply you clearly do get the point.

I'm not talking about poor conditions as I said above either good or bad. The point is they frustrate others if they can't tell if there;s a signal being given or not. It's a recognised fact hence the way things are changing to dimmed drl's when the indicators are on.

Remember the highway code, not a word for word quote but "always give a signal when it will be a benefit to others", how they make use of your signal re pulling out before they see a car turn is their choice.

Lets get back to basics, are you saying DRL's hinder other drivers seeing indicators?

Forgive me but I just can't resist...... If so, should they should have gone to Specsavers.  B)

4 hours ago, RTFishall said:

Lets get back to basics, are you saying DRL's hinder other drivers seeing indicators?

Forgive me but I just can't resist...... If so, should they should have gone to Specsavers.  B)

It is a known fact that they do, hence the design change as stated, ( I didn't know about this), in post #5

It's not my opinion. it's what has now been realised.

So going back again to basics, do you get what visible means

Aone, you said "How come they can't see the indicators? There are lights even on the side mirrors. Anyway, on the new models, the led turns off when the indicators are on. " that's the issue, they have done that because there IS a problem, we don't all have a brand new car.

I give up.

Last comment on insurance claim, "they should have gone to Specsav.......", Banging Head on Keyboard emoticon (Angry Emoticons)

No. They've done that, because it's a mandatory regulation for all european cars. There ARE cars (lots of them) with this problem, but I don't think, Kadjar ia one of them.

2 hours ago, turboted10 said:

It is a known fact that they do, hence the design change as stated, ( I didn't know about this), in post #5

It's not my opinion. it's what has now been realised.

So going back again to basics, do you get what visible means

Aone, you said "How come they can't see the indicators? There are lights even on the side mirrors. Anyway, on the new models, the led turns off when the indicators are on. " that's the issue, they have done that because there IS a problem, we don't all have a brand new car.

I give up.

Last comment on insurance claim, "they should have gone to Specsav.......", Banging Head on Keyboard emoticon (Angry Emoticons)

Red indicators?    lol