• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

daytime lights fault
3 3

19 posts in this topic

Hi folks

I've just bought a Feb 2017 Kadjur 1.6 diesel Dynamique. Still learning about it as my previous car was a 2005 Picasso and technology has moved on! So far so good!

Two questions: 

Is it only the front LEDs which operate in daytime?

On one of the headights the daytime LEDs do not work. I know I can request repair under the warranty but does any one know if it requires headlamp replacement? For info the rest of the headlamp functions are traditional ie. ordinary bulbs. Cheers.

5 hours ago, turboted10 said:

Welcome, the rears also light at the same time as both fronts.

I think you'll find that DRL's (Daylight/Daytime Running Lights) only operate on the front. The reason they don't operate on the rear is to avoid masking brake lights, the same reason modern cars now only have one rear fog light.

I suspect that a failed DRL would mean a new headlight unit.

6 hours ago, Genouille said:

Is it only the front LEDs which operate in daytime?

Only the front DRLs work at daytime. BUT! From this year on it's obligatory for the manufacturers to make the rear also light at daytime. I've been in lots of unpleasant situations in which the drivers forget to manually switch them on in rain, snow fog, dark corners and so on. So, it's a really good decision for me. Somebody with a car from this year could say if it is implemented already..

I was hoping to be in a position to answer the last post, as I should have picked up my new Kadjar today, but zilch heard from the dealer. When I rang him, he said 'be patient', he will contact me as and when it arrives.

A bit disappointing, was given the 1st March originally, then today, but it's not all bad - they gave me a trade in price on my current car (15 plate Insignia) back in December, and they will honour this price regardless of the mileage added until I hand over the vehicle to them on collection of the Kadjar. 

Hi Yes and if you have to wait surely it will be new new one and not old stock  so will have latest spec could say hope you enjoy new motor but I know you will it’s a great car in my opinion 

JC 😎😎🥃🥃

4 hours ago, AOne said:

Only the front DRLs work at daytime. BUT! From this year on it's obligatory for the manufacturers to make the rear also light at daytime. I've been in lots of unpleasant situations in which the drivers forget to manually switch them on in rain, snow fog, dark corners and so on. So, it's a really good decision for me. Somebody with a car from this year could say if it is implemented already..

Hi  Where did you find the information about the rear lights being on with the DRLs

That is interesting :) My car is bought from Bulgaria (my country) and the cars in Austria (where I'm now) are made this way (only front DRLs), which is very annoying for me. Guess it's lucky you in the island ;)  

Just been out to check ours (Uk spec 2016 model).

In  daylight, lights on auto.

Unlock car - front drl's and and rear lights on.

Start car - front drl's on, rear lights off.

From UK Gov website,

"DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low speed and stationary situations. In general all other lights should remain off when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL."

My November 67 Plate (UK Model) only has front DRL's illuminated when engine is running. Rear lights initiate once the DRL's are off through either auto lights mode or manually switched to side lights or main headlights.

Most new cars I have seen in the UK adopt this as standard.

Just now, turboted10 said:

Just checked again, mine are on with engine running or off.  I give up on the logic. "but for a limited period some vehicles may be available which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the DRL." Guess mine is one of the "some".

The quote from the Gov UK website I posted was from  a document issued in 2010.

If your rear lights are on when your drl's are on I would suggest you may have a fault. Whether or not to involve the experts from Renault is entirely up to you.

Hi folks

Thanks very much for your engagement in my inaugural question. Clearly there is no simple answer. I'll wait a little while and then take it to a Renault garage. Just to complicate matters I bought the car in the UK but live in France and am in the process of re-registering it here.  It will be interesting to see how Renault and the French mechanics react to the problem. I'll keep you posted.

7 hours ago, turboted10 said:

You may be at an advantage having it dealt with over there, (but possibly not when they found out you bought it over here), :rolleyes:;);)

We shall see, I should have it done before Brexit!

Theoretically, with a simple software update this could be added to any car. The car daytime and rear LED lights light up when you unlock the car so it can be changed to stay on as long as the engine is running.

Of course you could always turn on your sidelights, that way both front and rear would be visible, ok the fronts would be a bit dimmer than normal, but during the day who would notice.......................lol