Reasons not to buy a Kadjar
5 5

52 posts in this topic

Picking mine up in a few days; looking forward to it but I can't help wondering how long it will be until I'm head butting the keyboard!!

Glad now that I bought it outright and didn't go down the PCP route...at least if I am unlucky enough to experience any major problems I can offload it.

NOT the way I should be thinking before even taking possession I know :rolleyes:

It's not all doom and gloom, I have had mine 14 months now, and so far have not suffered any problems with it, it's a pleasure to drive it and it does all I require of it, in 2 years when I come to replace it, I would strongly consider getting another.

I am sure you will enjoy it. 

Sorry guys, this has come over a little wrong. The idea was a double headed tread, ie 2 seperate topics, one should have said why you'd get another, the other, this one, why you wouldn't.

Seems I'm being totally negative as the other seems to have gotten lost, that wasn't the intention.

I'm actually still sat on the fence myself, love almost everything about the mechanical car, just very very frustrated with most things RLink related and that is in danger of driving me back to another qashqai.

I'd say I'm considering getting another. Strongly?, not sure. The one thing that is certain is that it will have to be the bigger diesel engine next time, I seem to be finding more situations where a little extra power would be better having previously had the 1.6dci.

Where has you're reason to buy post gone  ? .....I definitely saw it . I agree with you're summation , mechanically the car is excellent , R Link is a bit flaky ( but that wouldn't stop me buying another ) . Basically I wouldn't buy another Renault again because their after sales services sucks...in my experience . So I guess that answers you "Would you buy another "... if it was there :D

35 minutes ago, ulfire said:

Where has you're reason to buy post gone  ? .....I definitely saw it . I agree with you're summation , mechanically the car is excellent , R Link is a bit flaky ( but that wouldn't stop me buying another ) . Basically I wouldn't buy another Renault again because their after sales services sucks...in my experience . So I guess that answers you "Would you buy another "... if it was there :D

I'm guessing admin saw it as a duplicate post thinking about it.

The other reason against is would you ever buy the same car twice. I always the main reasons folks changes cars is that they are ready for a change.

I had a 2ltre bright red Mk3 cavalier, changed it for a twin cam redtop engined version of the same 3 years later, again bright red. Did I get some stick about being died in the wool etc.  

i cant put my finger on it, why i will be glad to see it go.

its been reliable only had to get the RAC out to fix the battery, service was ok but still say they messed with the map.

cant get rid of a car just for the r link, can you?

no parking sensors on this model cost me a repair excess, the car has to many squeaks and knocks for something costing 27k 

build quality is let's be honest crap, i have yet to find a uniform panel gap. fuel filler release lost in the depths of the footwell, 

wipers, automatic if you switch them off and on again when you're start no point in leaving them in auto position. then they sweep the screen with the bonnet up and take a chunk of the edge. 

no auto lock on the keyless system still have to press ether the remote or door switch to unlock it or lock it.

third party alarm system, fitted as an afterthought poor quality unit will defo fail after warranty up costing more to fix it. 

most polluting diesel on the market so no i cant put my finger on it but i won't shed a tear when it goes 

Got to put my tuppence worth in, had kadjar about a year now and don't actually think it's that bad a car, granted when I bought it was naive about low profile tyres and that soon became a bug bear with me especially with the state of the roads nowadays but over time have managed to live with it but if I  could turn back the clock would have went for model with 17" alloys and fat tyres. What some people have mentioned in here as reasons for not buying again are ridiculous , example lack of sensors on this model cost me an excess and no auto locking, Christ I remember when you used to have to use a key and even turn it to open doors and don't agree the build quality is that bad, trust me after been given a Dacia as a courtesy car while it was in for a service last week the build quality ain't that bad. Would I buy another one, no for the simple reason I have already had one and like to try different models. Will be keeping it for another 2yrs so opinion might change.😁

I'm with Kug on this one. I've had mine about 11 months now and I haven't had any major problems so far - touch wood. Any niggles I can live with or work round and I find that it is still mechanically a great car and pretty good to drive. If I have a gripe at all it is with the absolutely crap mpg. The 1.2 TCE is definitely not the car for Ted, he'd have slashed his wrists after a week! I'll probably keep this for another eighteen months or so, and hope that by then the new 1.3 will have replaced the 1.2. Either that or it will have a plug-in Hybrid version. If either of these scenarios becomes reality then I would have no qualms about buying another Kadjar. 

4 hours ago, Kug said:

Got to put my tuppence worth in, had kadjar about a year now and don't actually think it's that bad a car, granted when I bought it was naive about low profile tyres and that soon became a bug bear with me especially with the state of the roads nowadays but over time have managed to live with it but if I  could turn back the clock would have went for model with 17" alloys and fat tyres. What some people have mentioned in here as reasons for not buying again are ridiculous , example lack of sensors on this model cost me an excess and no auto locking, Christ I remember when you used to have to use a key and even turn it to open doors and don't agree the build quality is that bad, trust me after been given a Dacia as a courtesy car while it was in for a service last week the build quality ain't that bad. Would I buy another one, no for the simple reason I have already had one and like to try different models. Will be keeping it for another 2yrs so opinion might change.😁

so you recon i'm right on a couple of things then LOL 

like i said guys i can put my finger on one or several items 

just i have been looking in the showrooms and there are several similar sized cars better out there 

i have mine on lease so can send it back after 3 years, as a brand new car its been fine as i need reliability in a car and the Kad has performed very well, I just think the second hand market will show its true worth, i note that there are some big discounted kad's around and that depreciation looks like its dropping like a stone 

as shown here

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801313261426?radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=KADJAR&postcode=b650pa&make=RENAULT&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-asc&page=1 

1 hour ago, shedder101 said:

so you recon i'm right on a couple of things then LOL 

Don't take it as a dig, it's just my opinion and you know what they say about them, it's obviously not perfect the forum posts speak volumes on that but overall for me it's not been a bad car, I accept the car was rushed out to keep up with the SUV market and a few things were not 100% R link etc,  but me driving a 65 plate can see that Renault have introduced new tech for that, CarPlay for instance which wasn't really widespread back when the 1st models came out and most car manufacturers are constantly updating models year in year out, ford for instance, Christ how many times has the feesty been remodeled over the years with different body shapes and new tech, pretty sure the new Kadjar owners are a lot happier than the Guinea pigs who bought 1st ( no offence to Guinea pigs by the way) I have been around long enough to know that buying Renault can be costly regards parts, servicing etc but knew that when I purchased and bought the kadjar mostly on the looks and previous experience from owning a Renault in the past. I haven't had any mechanical issues and have learned to live with the tech issues so is difficult for me to form a negative but I acknowledge its not for everyone . 👍👍👍👍😋

This is really starting to stack up against the Kadjar, exactly why I posted an alternative topic but hey ho. 

Would I really not get another because of RLink? Well the answer could be yes. The quirks with RLink, it's unpredictability and repeated drop outs absolutely spoil the whole experience. Only this week after a month of everything working perfectly speed warnings has disappeared yet again and no amount of resetting will bring them back. You can't call it an unreliable car but it's dam frustrating.

We have had at least 5 cars with the 1.5dci and 1 with the 1,6dci engine. There can't be a more frugal and smooth little diesel than the 1.5 and the 1.6 although cruder sounding performs superbly for a sub 1600cc engine

I suppose my real issue is that the Kadjar simply isn't a Renault as I know them, and I've had a few recently. The nice quirky idiosyncratic Renault touches are simply not there, being replaced with older fashioned alternatives. Whoever allowed that archaic petrol filler arrangement ought to be k*****d and no one touch window closing is an absolute omission.

The really sad thing is I'm one of the owners who have few other problems, the dealership is like any other, enough said. My car has a good standard of finish, the panel gaps are good, headlights don't mist up, not a single rattle and very little wind noise. However having a car with an electronic brain that seems determined to out do me is not good. This is a brand new £25k motor and it simply should not be like this.

I absolutely hated my previous qashqai as that was totally unreliable in a pure mechanical sense, it let me down many times and yet I'm still considering going back to one, I think that says it all.

1 hour ago, turboted10 said:

This is really starting to stack up against the Kadjar, exactly why I posted an alternative topic but hey ho. 

Would I really not get another because of RLink? Well the answer could be yes. The quirks with RLink, it's unpredictability and repeated drop outs absolutely spoil the whole experience. Only this week after a month of everything working perfectly speed warnings has disappeared yet again and no amount of resetting will bring them back. You can't call it an unreliable car but it's dam frustrating.

I suppose my real issue is that it simply isn't a Renault as I know them, and I've had a few recently. The nice quirky idiosyncratic Renault touches are simply not there, being replaced with older fashioned alternatives. Whoever allowed that archaic petrol filler arrangement ought to be k*****d and no one touch window closing is an absolute omission.

The really sad thing is I'm one of the owners who have few other problems, the dealership is like any other, enough said. My car has a good standard of finish, the panel gaps are good, headlights don't mist up, not a single rattle and very little wind noise. However having a car with an electronic brain that seems determined to out do me is not good. This is a brand new £25k motor and it simply should not be like this.

I absolutely hated my previous qashqai as that was totally unreliable in a pure mechanical sense, it let me down many times and yet I'm still considering going back to one, I think that says it all.

Pretty much my experience .Only build quality issue was a rattling glovebox which was easily resolved . Would the R Link deter me from buying another ?...no . Would Renault's inability  or unwillingness  to resolve the issues in a timely manner ?....yes . Personally I just lost faith in Renault's lack of knowledge ( maybe just lies and BS ? )

As far as Shedder's point on depreciation ...I was offered as low as £11,000 for my 2015 1.5Dci in November 2016 at 13 months old with about 9500 on the clock 

If I could turn the clock back to when I bought the car new. I now wish I had bought a Kia Sportage instead.  It has an extra 3 years of warranty, which come as a great asset when selling it on.

Just a stupid question... do you buy yourself a car just to make a great deall when sell it once or you buy a car because you like it, enjoy it... if first, then whole thing is fail I mean if you not buy a car then you will not loose money on it and you don't have to bother with making 'great deal'... 

When I buy a car (new or used) my last, unimportant think is hiw I will sell it once... I mean If I will like and enoy it then I will not regret any penny spend on it.

If car will make troubles then I will sell it as soon as possible for almost any price, just to go away... so I will not be in position to regret money spend on it...

whatever you look, buying and owning a car is expence... so bother how good I will sell it in moment I first park it on my yard is stupidity non plus ultra.

14 hours ago, robertp said:

Just a stupid question... do you buy yourself a car just to make a great deall when sell it once or you buy a car because you like it, enjoy it... if first, then whole thing is fail I mean if you not buy a car then you will not loose money on it and you don't have to bother with making 'great deal'... 

When I buy a car (new or used) my last, unimportant think is hiw I will sell it once... I mean If I will like and enoy it then I will not regret any penny spend on it.

If car will make troubles then I will sell it as soon as possible for almost any price, just to go away... so I will not be in position to regret money spend on it...

whatever you look, buying and owning a car is expence... so bother how good I will sell it in moment I first park it on my yard is stupidity non plus ultra.

14 hours ago, robertp said:

It's the British way, we simply don't like wasting money and any car with serious devaluation is often ruled out. If you are rich and can afford that loss then you wouldn't be buying a Kadjar, it would be something more upmarket.

22 hours ago, turboted10 said:

It's the British way, we simply don't like wasting money and any car with serious devaluation is often ruled out. If you are rich and can afford that loss then you wouldn't be buying a Kadjar, it would be something more upmarket.

The British don't like wasting money? Are you sure? What about building two pointless aircraft carriers at £3billion each! Makes the cost of a Kadjar very small beans. lol

14 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

The British don't like wasting money? Are you sure? What about building two pointless aircraft carriers at £3billion each! Makes the cost of a Kadjar very small beans. lol

I'm sure, even that's small beans compared to the cost of Brexit. Which explains why I didn't vote the same way as you did. :rolleyes:

Kadjar is not a bad car. If you just "break" it in parts and evaluate each part alone. Good engines, good mechanics, good interior, reasonable infotainment and so on.

BUT, as a whole, for me, is not a car that give me the satisfaction I had driving many other cars. There are one thousand of small and details. I will not repeat them, you can find all here, on this forum. I must say I am feeling of being cheated. I had other expectations and I am angry because this could be a great car.

Let me give you some examples! The light in the glove box. I don't have it and I can say I can live without it. But this is my first car in the last 10 years without it. They solved this at later models but they didn't offer a solution, like  a paid upgrade kit for other models.

Or another one: map upgrades. They said I will have one year of free upgrades. I received none, like many others. In last August I sent an email to Renault asking about this issue. Their answer come in last October telling me they received the email and they are analyzing the problem. Than I received another mail in December asking for the map version (I answered in the same day), another email in February asking for pictures with HUID, map version and VIN (I answered in the same day).... and I am still waiting. So add the Renault customer service at the "I don't like list".

So, I will never buy another Kadjar and I am pretty sure I will never buy another Renault. My Kadjar is now covered in the drive way. I am not using it anymore because I just hate this car and it waits for my son to get his driving licence. I will not care if he will hit the car so there will be no scenes in the family! :D

I might as well join in, totally happy with mine no complaints, no issues, still love driving it, still buying accessories for it and still looks good.

Would I buy another probably not, had one done the suv thing now and maybe move to something to satisfy an older life crisis.

I’m also chucking this in, forums are perfect places for research, after you have the car.  There are more owners complaining about problems, usually, than folk who don’t have problems therefore those folks will probably never venture in to the world of the forum and we will never know how many satisfied owners there is.

2 hours ago, darenh said:

I might as well join in, totally happy with mine no complaints, no issues, still love driving it, still buying accessories for it and still looks good.

Would I buy another probably not, had one done the suv thing now and maybe move to something to satisfy an older life crisis.

I’m also chucking this in, forums are perfect places for research, after you have the car.  There are more owners complaining about problems, usually, than folk who don’t have problems therefore those folks will probably never venture in to the world of the forum and we will never know how many satisfied owners there is.

I am in total agreement with you about the Kadjar, it's been totally issue free, however I will be sorry to see you go, you have provided us all with various tips and wonderful picture tutorials of various  accessories and add on's . Although we have never chatted, I will miss your input.

Stay safe.