• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Reasons not to buy a Kadjar
5 5

52 posts in this topic

I am 8 months into Kadjar ownership. I bought it because it reviewed well and apart from a minor dashboard rattle and Arnold Clark giving me grief over my service plan and pranging the car after servicing it I have no complaints although I do find Renault UK lacking in customer focus.

What amazes me on this forum is the number of petty grievances that owners come up with mainly in relation to R link. I don't ask too much of mine and provided it provides the basic functions I am happy with it and think it is basically a good well built car.

Would I buy another? I am not sure. 

Probably but not definitely. I might be tempted if they bring out a hybrid or electric vehicle. It is early days and the jury is still out.

Just my tuppenceworth.

24 minutes ago, Melville said:

I am 8 months into Kadjar ownership. I bought it because it reviewed well and apart from a minor dashboard rattle and Arnold Clark giving me grief over my service plan and pranging the car after servicing it I have no complaints although I do find Renault UK lacking in customer focus.

What amazes me on this forum is the number of petty grievances that owners come up with mainly in relation to R link. I don't ask too much of mine and provided it provides the basic functions I am happy with it and think it is basically a good well built car.

Would I buy another? I am not sure. 

Probably but not definitely. I might be tempted if they bring out a hybrid or electric vehicle. It is early days and the jury is still out.

Just my tuppenceworth.

Totally agree with what you have just said, if I don't like something I will change it , trade in, sell on whatever, not start a topic on reasons not to buy a kadjar ever again.

1 hour ago, Kug said:

Totally agree with what you have just said, if I don't like something I will change it , trade in, sell on whatever, not start a topic on reasons not to buy a kadjar ever again.

That's unfair. As said earlier this was designed to be a topic giving reasons for and against, Someone at your end deleted the for post so I do not accept your post, given that both mods are contributing I suggest you check.

I've said this a dozen times on here and again in this thread, I'm sat on the fence, hence asking others opinions. The car almost cuts it but there is to much fine detail that is simply not present or doesn't work. I don't think anyone including me has ever said that the Kadjar is a mechanically poor car.

I'm wasting my breath, my reason for posting less than favourable comments is that Renault actually take notice and sort things, as several members have said pink elephant and flying pigs.

I'll say this, should we all heap praise on Renault and let others buy blindly, or should we spell it out and let it be seen that there is no official comment from the manufacturer in this forum, you'll get criticised both ways which is why I tried to produce for and against posts.

I'm in exactly the same position as Melville, I'm just not sure if I want another unless the wrinkles are gone, 18months into 3 years I still hope something better, hopefully hybrid comes along. I like Renaults,would buy another tomorrow, but would it be a Kadjar, I don't know. Scenic hybridis now high up on the list but 7 seats would be extravagant for me

One thing coming through here, most of us are waiting to see how the hybrid idea integrates into the Kadjar

"What amazes me on this forum is the number of petty grievances that owners come up with mainly in relation to R link. "

When I buy anything , leave alone a £23000 plus  car , I expect everything to work as described and receive competent support from the manufacturer . So I can't really call a dysfunctional R Link with no map updates ,as promised , petty :) 

The cars after May 2017 are with fixed R-Links and added extras (folding mirrors, walkaway locking, and so on) comparing to the first models. If you have to choose Now, would you buy one?

I updated my software from 2.2.19.200 to 2.2.17.803  and maps to version v16.12 last month, but as far as  Android and carplay that is of no interest to me as I don't have either.  I get by on a Nokia Classic  lol

=

sorry turboted that could have been me trying to tidy up your thread, as you had quoted the other member twice, again 

its not necessary to quote other members post all the time it makes the thread hard to follow and longer than it needs to be.

a simple like would suffice as we are all i think able to follow members drift in the thread 

On 11/03/2018 at 3:22 PM, AOne said:

The cars after May 2017 are with fixed R-Links and added extras (folding mirrors, walkaway locking, and so on) comparing to the first models. If you have to choose Now, would you buy one?

I would still be very sceptical because Renault have not fixed my car THAT I PAID THE SAME PRICE FOR,( colour was described as angry red, agreed)

23 hours ago, shedder101 said:

sorry turboted that could have been me trying to tidy up your thread, as you had quoted the other member twice, again 

its not necessary to quote other members post all the time it makes the thread hard to follow and longer than it needs to be.

a simple like would suffice as we are all i think able to follow members drift in the thread 

Accepted, it wasn't a quote of anyone but the headline was similar. 

The thing is, there are about 25 regulars here. We post the same answers time and time again for potential buyers looking around the forum. The reason is simple, newcomers usually don't search. The common question is "the good, the bad, and the darn right ugly",....... "which is right"

I was trying to keep a couple of posts on the menu as most only look at the top few.

New post, Very good reasons to get a new Kadjar.

One more tought...

I really love my Kadjar, despite that it is one of the earlier models with no light in glove box, no walk-away locking, folding mirrors... It even does not have ambient light nor illuminated door switches... But... switches are shining in all it brightnes, never have walk-away lock nor folding mirrors so this is not an issue to me. Light in glove box? Well, Daren proove it is not complicated to have it... Powered tailgate? No problem. But this are not essential deal breakers for me. I mean engine is nice, transmition is prooven in Nissan, seats are comfort... Joy in riding it... But probably not buy it again since never buy very same model of the car twice... Time to buy a new car ill come in next 6 years, so there will be quite different models at that time...

14 hours ago, robertp said:

So basically this means that you done with Renault and forum? What do you drive now?

I share with my wife a VW Golf.

For me those issues you mentioned "no light in glove box, no walk-away locking, no folding mirrors, no ambient light, no illuminated door switches" and also poor quality of dashboard materials, no map update, no illuminated lock/unlock switch, no Android Auto, no Carplay, poor Renault services so forth and so on ARE IMPORTANT. 

I can say: Kadjar is a bitter experience. Yes, I can live without all those little things. But for me is something like buying a new TV set with ultra 4K, shiny, beautiful and when I arrived home I saw that each command on remote must be confirmed using a button on the TV itself and , yes, it is dolby surround but only for models after May 2019.

And, just to understand me better. I bought an ambient light system months ago. I just have to plugin and to attach the LED bars under the seats (I guess a 10-15 minutes work). It is still in the box because  I don't think it worth to spend those 15 minutes to make this Kadjar a little better.

The lack of 4wd together with automatic transmission is a strange decision.

Toyota RAW 4, Subaru Forester, Ford Kuga, Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, KIA Sportage, Mitsubishi Outlander, and a lot of others all give you the possibility to combine 4wd with automatic transmission.

What's the problem with the QQ/Kadjar powerline that prevents this?

8 hours ago, 1898 said:

What's the problem with the QQ/Kadjar powerline that prevents this?

They are idiots! I asked a similar question: how is possible that my 20 years old Renault Laguna II and almost all new Renault cars have "walk-way lock" and Kadjar doesn't? The Renault answer? "Aaaaaahhhhhhh.... we took that from QQ".

1 hour ago, Buder said:

They are idiots! I asked a similar question: how is possible that my 20 years old Renault Laguna II and almost all new Renault cars have "walk-way lock" and Kadjar doesn't? The Renault answer? "Aaaaaahhhhhhh.... we took that from QQ".

There were 2 things I dearly missed on the qashqai, 1 was walk away closure of all windows, the other was the lack of an automatic fuel cap, Megane style. My 1989 Cavalier had both these and every car since up to the Nissan involvement.

However I was checking for both these when I test drove the car so new they weren't "fitted". Not a deal breaker but would have been nice.

On 11/03/2018 at 9:53 AM, darenh said:

I might as well join in, totally happy with mine no complaints, no issues, still love driving it, still buying accessories for it and still looks good.

Would I buy another probably not, had one done the suv thing now and maybe move to something to satisfy an older life crisis.

I’m also chucking this in, forums are perfect places for research, after you have the car.  There are more owners complaining about problems, usually, than folk who don’t have problems therefore those folks will probably never venture in to the world of the forum and we will never know how many satisfied owners there is.

Coming up to 1 year ownership now and I love it today as much as I loved it on day one. It’s been such a great car to me and have had no issues at all. It’s such a pleasure to own and drive so I am very happy with my 1st year experience with it

Would I buy a Renault again? Well so far my 17 plate kadjar has had the following issues:

1) failed master cylinder within 1 month

2) Various R-link etc..

3) Rubber loose between the windscreen and pan roof.

4) Play/rattle to drivers seat which now needs reweilding

5) MPG less more than 25% off stated figures.

6) No ability to permanently turn off interior lights individually. (important when you have young children)

therefore its a big fat NO from me.

I may even get another, but getting more doubtful as new stuff comes along all the time. I just still can't help viewing my Kadjar as "the nearly"  or the "not quite" car. The cars great the fancy bits let it down, well mine grate a little. 

Regarding "ryan"s issue with mpg, you won't find a maker that doesn't claim the same kind of excess.

PS I knew most of this when I bought the car and still don't regret the move, just wish they had tried that bit harder.

We've had our Bose SigNav Auto for 7 months now, bought it with about 6k on it (its my wife's so I'm guessing). We traded a 1.7 Vauxhall Mokka CDTi Diesel for it. An honest and unbiased opinion (from both of us) would be..

1. It's not nearly as good performance wise.. yes a lot of that's down to it being auto but the gearbox is clumsy, it absolutely refuses to change down when it should (even with that stupid ECO switched off) and I am a fan of auto boxes for touring.  It really needs looking at by Renault.

2. I worked for many many years in a Peugeot dealership and I am fully aware of the "joys" of French car construction, usually good mechanicals but poor trim... for me this one surpasses them all, it rattles like a b*****d, I've never pulled so much trim off and packed with foam as this thing. IMHO, in my motor trade days we'd have pulled the dash, foam wrapped all the wiring and sprayed every trim piece with a silicon lubricant.

3. R-Link and all the "fun" it brings... yeah... enough said

4. Its not all bad, it's roomy, the interior (when its not rattling) is a nice place to be, the glass roof is excellent and the boot has much more room than the Mokka

5. Fuel consumption isn't as bad as we thought it would be, even with 19" wheels and an auto box (still don't understand why its so much more on road tax though!!)

It's a little too early to make a decision on whether we'd buy another one but lets just say unless there was a vast improvement we'd certainly have a lot closer look at the competition.