• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Roof bars
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I have the Thule bars. They are fine too.

They can be placed more freely lengthwise than the original, that I believe must align with the holes on the inside of the railings.

18 hours ago, 1898 said:

I have the Thule bars. They are fine too.

They can be placed more freely lengthwise than the original, that I believe must align with the holes on the inside of the railings.

Always wondered what those holes were for.

On the holes point! I have just got some Renault roof bars and aligned them to the holes... does anyone know why? I presume it is to ensure the bars are flat as the rails drop at the front and rear of the car? I ask as I also have borrowed an enormous roof box that when using the holes sets the box too far back so I can’t open the boot. Would moving the bars forward 5cm cause a problem? I have seen you can for Thule bars?

The roof rails are not parallel, and that's why the front and the rear bar are different in length about an inch. If you place them far from the holes, they would not fit in length, and if you try to fasten them, you could damage the roof.

The original Renault bars, do the not have a plunge that engages inte the hole to lock it positively?

I dont't know, but this seems the only reason to have these holes there in the first place.

The Thule bars I have on my box does not use the holes for anything particular and can be placed where to fit the box the best.

1 hour ago, AOne said:

The roof rails are not parallel, and that's why the front and the rear bar are different in length about an inch. If you place them far from the holes, they would not fit in length, and if you try to fasten them, you could damage the roof.

Good point! I’ll measure the width of the roof where I need the bars vs the holes. I’ve fitted it already there was enough play in the fitting for the to fit so it appears to have worked. I’m only talking 5cm max so hopefully will be ok.. especially as my wife is currently out in the car! Hope it doesn’t fall off!

Something is going wrong when everytime you change car you have to buy a new roof rack/rails. Hate to say this but it's one area the EU failed to legislate in. :(

Manufacturers have to provide a common diagnostic socket so buyers can get their car sorted at a general garage rather than a main stealer, why the issue with universal rail mounts???:wacko:;)<_<:angry: