• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Diesel or Petrol
1 1

11 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Jim g said:

I am about to purchase a kadjar but I’m unsure which engine to go for? I do a lot of short journeys so is the Petrol a better bet.

All I can say is that I have 1.5 diesel and get over 60mpg. The road tax is only £40 a year.

Just out of interest, I always have both the Eco mode and the stop/start functions switched off and most of my journeys are short.

1 hour ago, Jim g said:

I am about to purchase a kadjar but I’m unsure which engine to go for? I do a lot of short journeys so is the Petrol a better bet.

We do mainly short journeys and have a low mileage too [<5,000 a year] We used to have a 2L diesel Zafira Tourer and the particulate filter warning came on 2 or 3 times a year - quite inconvenient to "...keep driving..." when we had a deadline to pick up kids from school! So we went for the 1.2 Petrol. The car is fast enough, the engine warms up quickly and is quiet. Consumption isn't great [25mpg around town (lots of cold-starts) and 35 mpg A-roads] I wonder if there's any low-mileage diesel owners who can tell you if the particulate filter is a problem in the Kadjar?

11 minutes ago, Jim g said:

Thanks for the thoughts, I will ask the dealer about th particulate filter and post his comments.

Don't bother. The dealer will tell you whatever you want to hear. 

Hi Yes ours is 1.6 4x4 particulate filter on ours just cleans it self when needed at idle in traffic town driving motorway makes no difference don't worry about it. We had a koleos it needed a constant speed for 10 20 mins or so

JC😎😎🥃🥃

Ps.   stevieboy I would try another dealer if you can't get a sensible true answer from yours 🤔

1 hour ago, Johnbridge said:

We do mainly short journeys and have a low mileage too [<5,000 a year] We used to have a 2L diesel Zafira Tourer and the particulate filter warning came on 2 or 3 times a year - quite inconvenient to "...keep driving..." when we had a deadline to pick up kids from school! So we went for the 1.2 Petrol. The car is fast enough, the engine warms up quickly and is quiet. Consumption isn't great [25mpg around town (lots of cold-starts) and 35 mpg A-roads] I wonder if there's any low-mileage diesel owners who can tell you if the particulate filter is a problem in the Kadjar?

I hope I'm not tempting fate but...  15K now on my 18 month old 1.5 diesel Kajar and I didn't even know about any filter problems.  Surely, if the car is serviced and under warranty why worry?

The only thing I have noticed about a diesel engine after 45 years of petrol engines is that it takes longer for the heater to warm up the car on a winter morning!  :(

I used to hate diesel cars in the days when they sounded like a "bag of nails" on tick over. But I'm now a fully converted diesel fan. For why? see my previous posting.  All the best for what ever version you buy. :)

48 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

I hope I'm not tempting fate but...  15K now on my 18 month old 1.5 diesel Kajar and I didn't even know about any filter problems.  Surely, if the car is serviced and under warranty why worry?

The only thing I have noticed about a diesel engine after 45 years of petrol engines is that it takes longer for the heater to warm up the car on a winter morning!  :(

I used to hate diesel cars in the days when they sounded like a "bag of nails" on tick over. But I'm now a fully converted diesel fan. For why? see my previous posting.  All the best for what ever version you buy. :)

That's useful, knowing that the DPF isn't likely to need any attention if you do ~10,000 miles a year. As for if it's covered under warranty, I couldn't find anything that Renault say on the matter, but happen to have a brochure for a 2018 Nissan Pulsar, that uses the same 1.5 diesel engine as the Kadjar. This is what it says about the DPF:

WHAT IF I ONLY DRIVE SHORT JOURNEYS? If the vehicle is only driven for short journeys, or at low speed, then it may not be possible for regeneration to occur. In this situation, warning lights will be illuminated on your dashboard. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual for further information. After seeing these warning lights you need to drive, as soon as possible, above 40mph until the light goes out. This can take up to 30 minutes depending on the amount of soot collected in the filter.

WHAT IF I IGNORE THEM? If you continue to drive at low speeds the exhaust gas temperatures cannot rise, so regeneration cannot occur. In this instance, a combination of warning lights will be illuminated on your dashboard. In this case, and in order to protect the engine and DPF Filter, the vehicle will require ‘SERVICE REGENERATION’ which can only be carried out by a workshop equipped with Nissan diagnostic equipment. You will need to go to your nearest Nissan dealer in case the oil and filter needs to be replaced. As ‘SERVICE REGENERATION’ is not a manufacturing fault, so the cost will NOT be covered under warranty.

[I couldn't copy the symbols which went with the text unfortunately] I guess Renault's position will be something similar?

Hi   I have to I am not sure about this particulate thing but something for all to think about  in2009 I bought a koleos 2 litre 150 bhp engine now this needed to be driven at a constant speed for as long as it took to clean the filter think I did this once maybe twice in six years and 90 + thousand miles  no problem really now if I had bought same car with 2 litre 175 bhp engine it cleaned the filter as you drove in any situation no need to drive at a constant speed and both of these were renault so maybe saying Nissan has x is maybe not so relevant , maybe we all need to try and find out what system is fitted to which KADJAR as if my previous experience with koleos is correct 1.5 and 1.6 KADJAR may well have a different system  just had a thought has any body looked in the hand book ????

JC. 😎😎🥃🥃

16 hours ago, Johnbridge said:

That's useful, knowing that the DPF isn't likely to need any attention if you do ~10,000 miles a year. As for if it's covered under warranty, I couldn't find anything that Renault say on the matter, but happen to have a brochure for a 2018 Nissan Pulsar, that uses the same 1.5 diesel engine as the Kadjar. This is what it says about the DPF:

WHAT IF I ONLY DRIVE SHORT JOURNEYS? If the vehicle is only driven for short journeys, or at low speed, then it may not be possible for regeneration to occur. In this situation, warning lights will be illuminated on your dashboard. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual for further information. After seeing these warning lights you need to drive, as soon as possible, above 40mph until the light goes out. This can take up to 30 minutes depending on the amount of soot collected in the filter.

WHAT IF I IGNORE THEM? If you continue to drive at low speeds the exhaust gas temperatures cannot rise, so regeneration cannot occur. In this instance, a combination of warning lights will be illuminated on your dashboard. In this case, and in order to protect the engine and DPF Filter, the vehicle will require ‘SERVICE REGENERATION’ which can only be carried out by a workshop equipped with Nissan diagnostic equipment. You will need to go to your nearest Nissan dealer in case the oil and filter needs to be replaced. As ‘SERVICE REGENERATION’ is not a manufacturing fault, so the cost will NOT be covered under warranty.

[I couldn't copy the symbols which went with the text unfortunately] I guess Renault's position will be something similar?

As most of the area around where I live is a 30mph zone, will Renault pay the speeding fine? :unsure:

PS. :lol:

Bring back my first car (in 1963) a 1951 Hillman Minx.  Life was so wonderfully simple in those days, although it only did 30mpg.   The only warning light was for oil pressure and that came on about 5 seconds before the engine seized up!   :(

Still, at least it was made and scrapped in Britain  :lol: