• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Kadjar 4WD owners
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Ours is driven down a farm track to stables every day, hence getting a 4X4, but is rarely out of 2WD as Kadjar is quite sure footed.

We switch it to AUTO when pulling back onto the tarmac out of the lane as tyres sometimes muddy.

Hi I have not checked mpg in 2 wheel drive as I don't think there will be any difference auto is in effect on demand 4x4 so only kicks in when front wheels are moving faster than rear added to this weight  and drag are the issue when it comes to mpg Yes 4x4 is heavier and matters not if in 4 or 2 wheel drive it has more drag as when moving it has a second differential at  back which turns when moving now using 4x4 energy from engine will be used in 2 wd diff turns from rotation of rear wheels which in turn are powered from engine so little or no change in mpg I think🤔🤔

JC 😎😎🥃🥃

Me and my collegue have same cars. Only difference is the 2WD vs. 4WD. Mine is 2WD. First impression is his is much noisier, no matter the mode he's driving in. Second - his uses at least 15% more fuel than mine, although he never uses the 4WD mode.

Hi Yes Lower mpg maybe down to driver style but as I said above that extra diff / drive train takes energy to turn it energy is fuel renault states a different mpg (lower) for 4x4 version all part of the joy nothing is free but 4 wheel drive has the odd really good moments like when I just drove down to daughters house in snow when a Mercedes was trying to get up the hill 20 mins later I drove up hill no problem he was still trying to get up the hill and on to main road 

JC 😎😎🥃🥃

The difference in fuel consumption is down to the 4x4 weighing 107kg more than the fwd version. That is like carrying an extra passenger all the time. I ran mine in 2wd for a short while to compare just after I got it, and it made no difference whatsoever to the fuel consumption. I now leave it in auto all the time and never use Eco mode.

AOne, what engine does your car have, as I think you might be comparing apples with pears? The 4x4 has the 1.6dCi, which many reviews say is not as quiet as the 1.5dCi. Mine isn't the quietest engine, but it doesn't produce any noticeable transmission noise from the 4x4 system, so I think your quieter car may have the 1.5dCi engine, which would also explain the 15% difference in fuel consumption.

As I said, the cars are almost equal. We both have 1.6 engines. We're also good friends and compare the cars all the time (the reason one purchased the car was the other one already considering to do so :) ). I don't find it nessecery to use 4WD more than couple of times in the year although I live in Austria, and constantly make trips in the Alps and mainly in the Dolomites (my favourite region). In snow!! The last months there was snow almost all the time, and the car handles great. I've got a pair of chains in the trunk, but so far no need to use them. So for me - the 4WD is an option that does not repay back if you're a decent driver. I would consider such if it was not worthed the extra 2.5K euro, the noise and the extra fuel consumption. 

I have the 4wd model. It is only noisy during brisk acceleration which for me is not often and only if requiring rapid acceleration for overtaking. Otherwise the refinement of the bigger diesel engine is good and pretty quiet.

I only use the 4wd when there is a risk of slippage in wet or icy or snowy conditions or if I am off road. Otherwise I drive in 2wd. If  I drive very carefully in 2wd in eco mode in ideal conditions I can squeeze 58mpg. In full time 4wd auto that comes down to about 47mpg. In normal mode in 2wd I am getting 50mpg.

Not much difference really.

That is my experience over first 4000 miles. I don't drive fast very often.

There is significant difference in the noise if both cars are driven 2WD, and I say that cause I jump from one to the other in 2 seconds. My previous Scenic was with 1.5 dci.  When in slow speed and revs is unbeatable in fuel consumption (bellow 118 km/h, - 4.8 l/100km), while the 1.6 Kadjar is not that dependable on speed. If compared in 130 km/h, the 1.6 makes 5.3 l/100km, while the 1.5 makes 6.3. (Always with the wife and 2 kids. If empty, should be less).

3 hours ago, AOne said:

There is significant difference in the noise if both cars are driven 2WD, and I say that cause I jump from one to the other in 2 seconds. My previous Scenic was with 1.5 dci.  When in slow speed and revs is unbeatable in fuel consumption (bellow 118 km/h, - 4.8 l/100km), while the 1.6 Kadjar is not that dependable on speed. If compared in 130 km/h, the 1.6 makes 5.3 l/100km, while the 1.5 makes 6.3. (Always with the wife and 2 kids. If empty, should be less).

4.8 l/100km is 58.7 mpg, 5.3 is 53 mpg and 6.3 is 44.7 mpg.

Your 1.6 makes 53 mpg which is very good; my 4x4 managed 52 on a motorway run yesterday and averages around 48 in winter, around 52 in summer. That is with the 4x4 in auto all the time.

My 1.6 dCi 4x4 is no noisier than the two Mazda 6 2.0 diesels, Skoda Octavia 2.0 tdi or Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD that I had recently. The only diesel I had that was quieter was a new BMW 535d, and that is to be expected.

You forget two facts.

1 - My fuel consumption is measured with two adults in the car and two cildren. Total of 275 kg.

2 - Im comparing two equal engines, one coupled with a 2wd gearbox, and the other with 4wd.

What it has to do wirh the other brands? I'm saying the 4WD vs. the 2WD is noisier, more expensive and with more fuel consumption. So, what I'm saying is, in my opinion all these benefits are not worth for 98% of the drivers. That's it :)

Kadjar is my second 4wd car. I will always buy 4wd cars.

On winter motorway the car is stable like a tank.
Today on snowy street, rear axle was driven up to 35% during normal city driving.
No extreme conditions are needed to make 4wd useful.

On 12/02/2018 at 8:32 AM, turboted10 said:

i don't think anyone can argue with that, nor that the 1.5 is significantly quieter than the 1.6

Has anyone considered the issues with longterm ownership if 4wd is used full time?? Qashqai forum shows issues.

Hi How long is long term we had a koleos     New in2009 did just under 100,000 miles in 4x4 no problems but remember 4x4 is not permanently engaged only comes in when front wheels rotate faster than rear that is in auto , in lock it is what it says 4x4  50% front 50% rear but above about 20 mph it unlocks and returns to auto mode 😀

JC😎😎🥃🥃

Too true. Too many people buy a 4wd and think it will get them out of trouble and get them anywhere. I have seen too many new 4wd drivers being extracted from stupid situations by farmers in tractors. You need to apply the same respect as you would for a normal 2wd vehicle. That way you should be able to stay out of trouble.