clutch judder - am I alone?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

1.2 tce manual here, 15k miles on the clock, developed clutch judder for the past weeks, most noticeable on first take off early in the cold morning (down to -10 degrees celsius here).

Cold weather, cold engine / clutch, slight uphill, 3-4 passengers or loaded trunk - these are perfect conditions for the issue to manifest. Not yet taken to the dealership as I can't always replicate it.

Found many threads about this problem on Captur forum - they even have a "register if you have clutch judder" thread. But not for the Kadjar, so I'm starting one.

Let me know if you have or had this too, and how it got solved (if at all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AOne said:

Sounds like a malfunctioned flywheel (probably broken spring).

Thats what I read on other forums, yes. Weird thing is it only happened like 4-5 times during the really cold days (subzero temps), while e.g. today when its 3 degrees there's no sign of an issue at all. Last week it happened in the very cold morning and was pretty bad - whole car shaking etc.

I guess I have to wait for it to escalate so that I'm able to replicate every time and then take it to the dealer for a check.

Interestingly it seems its not a widespread issue as on Capturs - searching the forum I couldn't find a single thread with this exact issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Boyko said:

Thats what I read on other forums, yes. Weird thing is it only happened like 4-5 times during the really cold days (subzero temps), while e.g. today when its 3 degrees there's no sign of an issue at all. Last week it happened in the very cold morning and was pretty bad - whole car shaking etc.

I guess I have to wait for it to escalate so that I'm able to replicate every time and then take it to the dealer for a check.

Interestingly it seems its not a widespread issue as on Capturs - searching the forum I couldn't find a single thread with this exact issue.

Problem is with any clutch issue is that they invariably throw it back at your driving style. "you must have been riding the clutch sir" or "maybe too many racing starts sir?"

Whatever it is likely to need forceful persuasion to get anywhere with Renault.

Given a post you made earlier about driving of on "auto throttle", well I did say it could cause clutch issues so maybe keep quiet about that one.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boyko said:

Thats what I read on other forums, yes. Weird thing is it only happened like 4-5 times during the really cold days (subzero temps), while e.g. today when its 3 degrees there's no sign of an issue at all. Last week it happened in the very cold morning and was pretty bad - whole car shaking etc.

I guess I have to wait for it to escalate so that I'm able to replicate every time and then take it to the dealer for a check.

Interestingly it seems its not a widespread issue as on Capturs - searching the forum I couldn't find a single thread with this exact issue.

Wow...wow... wait. Totally forgot...(I feel like a total jerk now). I had the same problem with my previous Scenic . Happened every 4-5-6 months for a few days and then gone. It was a total disaster when appeared. The car was a nightmare to start at first gear. Spoke with couple of servicemen. They said it's a problem with the ferodo, which was my second guess after the flywheel. There are some bad layers in it or something similar. After a little more slippery clutch-use it happened to fix itself for a long time. Drove the car like this for 6 years and sold it with no serious problem anyway, to the garage master I used to go for oil changes and repairs (only miner for all this time :) ). Still no complain from him, as we're friends :D:D:D ...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, turboted10 said:

Problem is with any clutch issue is that they invariably throw it back at your driving style. "you must have been riding the clutch sir" or "maybe too many racing starts sir?"

Whatever it is likely to need forceful persuasion to get anywhere with Renault.

Given a post you made earlier about driving of on "auto throttle", well I did say it could cause clutch issues so maybe keep quiet about that one.;)

I completely agree :) 

I admit one of the reasons for the auto-throttle post is to get to know if it may be related - I did drive like that for a while during the summer, used it mainly when parking, so for moving a few meters back and forth, maybe for a few months, but never experienced any issue with the clutch until recently.

Anyway, if it gets to the dealer I will most likely share this w/ them as I don't really consider it being abusive, and I'd like them to know all the facts when diagnosing. If it ends up on me - so be it. 

But having read @AOne's post - it may very well be the same case. Currently I'm not experiencing any issues.

I'll keep this post up to date with how this progresses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Boyko said:

I completely agree :) 

I admit one of the reasons for the auto-throttle post is to get to know if it may be related - I did drive like that for a while during the summer, used it mainly when parking, so for moving a few meters back and forth, maybe for a few months, but never experienced any issue with the clutch until recently.

Anyway, if it gets to the dealer I will most likely share this w/ them as I don't really consider it being abusive, and I'd like them to know all the facts when diagnosing. If it ends up on me - so be it. 

But having read @AOne's post - it may very well be the same case. Currently I'm not experiencing any issues.

I'll keep this post up to date with how this progresses.

Always appreciated, open ended topics help no one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the same issue with my Kadjar 15 Diesel  Boyco, but all does not sound as bad as it seems. Had mine serviced today at a Renault garage and i explained the problem to them and they said they would get there technicians to take a look. When I picked the car up they explained it wasnt clutch judder it was the traction control which kicks in if the sensors on the car detect the wheels spinning up. ( its even explained in the user manual). The traction control system applies the brake momentarily to stop the wheel spinning up and the driver loosing control. makes sense to me and explains why it seems to happen more frequently in cold weather.... cold tyres  means less grip more spin. Hope this helps you rest your fears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another word on clutches.My 1.5 dci suffered a weird fault when nearly new. It happened first with only about 500 miles on the clock. Once it got very warm, I was on the first long journey I'd done in the car, the clutch would slip in 5th and 6th if I gunned it from about 1500 rpm and the revs would climb with no increase in speed. It was definitely the clutch, I could smell it in the car.

Went back to the dealer but we couldn't replicate it, just logged it for record and my protection if it got worse. It did it again twice over the next 2k miles and all I did was drive steadier to avoid damage.

I've now done about 10k and it hasn't reappeared. I has a mechanical back ground, I think it was either a tight or sluggish clutch release bearing or a badly finished (rough) clutch plate that wouldn't transmit full load until it bedded in. Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

1 1