Drivers Side Door Switches For The Windows - Illumination

2 posts in this topic

I have just updated the R-Link 2 Software and Map Updates which went well.

However, whilst sitting in the car doing this it dawned on me that there is probably a really easy way to provide some illumination for the drivers side door switches which operate the windows.

Being a fisherman who sometimes fishes at night I sometimes use tiny little light sources which are called Betalights / Isotopes.

These are basically small glass vials with a non-hazardous radioactive gas inside them called tritium.

They come in various sizes / colours, don't need any batteries or a power source and should last for about 12 years.

These are the sort of things I am talking about :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/270929240022?chn=ps&adgroupid=46781198765&rlsatarget=pla-380170459360&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=7262664&poi=&googleloc=1006603&device=c&campaignid=974199509&crdt=0

My thought is that it would be really easy to get one or two of these (probably the green ones ?) and carefully glue them in place near the switches to provide some subtle illumination.

I haven't tried it yet but can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Steve 

You are absolutely right, having installed LEDs into my switch cups and door handle cups inside and out.  I stil wanted to do something else.  Before I saw the aftermarket switches on AliExpress, I thought about installing an led in the door handle above the switches in the part where the mirror control is.

its sought of concealed above the switches so it would work like a down lighter