• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

HILL STARTS
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I have an almost new petrol Kadjar and a steep drive from my garage (1 in 4 ). When I drive or reverse out the car gets slower so it is necessary to apply more pressure on the accelerator which makes the car suddenly race up the drive at a frightening speed. It is impossible to drive the car slowly up the slope. A few days ago when I was reversing in it was obviously going too near the nearside wall that I stopped and  I tried to go back up the drive  but it was slow to pick up speed and in fact went backwards and broke off the near side wing mirror which is going to cost me £550. Any advice please.

Peter Hall

I assume you have an Auto.

If so, it took us a little time to perfect low speed manoeuvres, but found practice and a delicate use of the throttle made (almost) perfect.

£550 for a door mirror, ouch. 

53 minutes ago, Peter Derby said:

I have an almost new petrol Kadjar and a steep drive from my garage (1 in 4 ). When I drive or reverse out the car gets slower so it is necessary to apply more pressure on the accelerator which makes the car suddenly race up the drive at a frightening speed. It is impossible to drive the car slowly up the slope. A few days ago when I was reversing in it was obviously going too near the nearside wall that I stopped and  I tried to go back up the drive  but it was slow to pick up speed and in fact went backwards and broke off the near side wing mirror which is going to cost me £550. Any advice please.

Peter Hall

Are you talking about the manual gearbox? There’s a thread on here about cars with the auto box running back on a hill before accelerating forward. We have the 1.2 petrol with the manual box and in 4 months ownership haven’t perfected the technique for pulling-away-on-a-hill. We’ve had cars with electric handbrakes before and they caused no problem. On a hill as slight as 1-in-15 I find that with the Kadjar the first raise-of-the-clutch disengages the handbrake, but it seems to take power from the engine to do that, so I have to press the clutch a bit to get the revs to rise so I can set off. Sometimes the engine falters while I’m doing that, so another dab of the clutch is needed – just like a beginner! I’ve driven some underpowered cars [e.g 1.3L Marina!] but have never had to work so hard to set-off on a hill! It’s too late now, but next time you are shopping for a car I suggest you make sure that the test-drive includes a hill-start similar to your drive…

Sorry - I should have said that my car is automatic. Thanks for all the comments. I will have to keep trying to be very delicate with the accelerator. Does anyone know of any other automatic of  a similar size but a different make that is perfect on steep hill starts?

When after stopping with hill hold brakes applied through a good pressure on the brake pedal, give just a little bit of gas with the gas pedal and wait patiently. Eventually the cluch in the dual cluch auto will engage and engine will pick up speed slowly and the car will move at a slow pace. You just can't rush it, or it will go bonkers as you just have learned.

Automatics with hydraulic torq converters are more easily controlled with the gas pedal. Maybe even a cvt (Qashqai or Toyota) could be easier, but I don't know. As long as there are electronic logics controlling the auto, time constants are involved and cannot be completely overruled.