• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

1.6 or 1.2 Tce Signature S Cosmos Blue
4 4

14 posts in this topic

Hi there.  We have had a 1.6 petrol engined 'Black Edition' for seven days, so are well placed to give advice! :P

Actually, I have had only one decent trip in it- yesterday taking daughter to Bordeaux airport.  

We haven't driven the 1.2 and purposely went for the 1.6 given that we use the Autoroutes a fair amount.

I didn't push the car but it seems perfectly adequate and we cruised at just over 80mph (the legal limit).  Longer, steeper hills required me changing down to fifth gear at times, so I guess the 1.2 would struggle a bit more.

My take is that in any given situation the 1.6 has more reserve than the 1.2 and so fuel consumption shouldn't be that different.

Your money, your choice but I feel that we have gone for the right one.  Very pleased with it, and glad we went for it after toying with the idea of a Fiat 500X.

Hi  - I've just joined the forum - thinking of buying a Kadjar - But I think I am going for the 1500 diesel - looks good economy wise - more power than the 1200 - better fuel econmy than the 1600? Why only choose between 1200 and 1600??

32 minutes ago, Noel G said:

Hi  - I've just joined the forum - thinking of buying a Kadjar - But I think I am going for the 1500 diesel - looks good economy wise - more power than the 1200 - better fuel econmy than the 1600? Why only choose between 1200 and 1600??

I don't like diesel. Not a big fan of it. I appreciate how many do like it, but I don't do enough miles to warrant it and don't like the health implications of it.

I understand regarding the mileage implications  yet the 1.5Dci has CO2 emissions of 103 (g/Km) and the 1.2 petrol has CO2 emissions of 130 (g/km) - so health and environment the diesel is better, is it not?

14 minutes ago, Noel G said:

I understand regarding the mileage implications  yet the 1.5Dci has CO2 emissions of 103 (g/Km) and the 1.2 petrol has CO2 emissions of 130 (g/km) - so health and environment the diesel is better, is it not?

It's not just about Co2 emissions. Don't forget about Nox. Diesel fumes are now considered to be carcenogenic.

Read these articles...

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and-used-cars/article/petrol-vs-diesel-cars-in-which-is-better

https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-buying/2017/diesel-health-risks-the-details-/

In the which article, they do a comparison of the 1.2 petrol qashqai vs the 1.5 diesel qashqai. Doing 9000 miles a year, it takes 6 years until the diesel actually cost less to own/run.

If you own a diesel and don't do a lot of motorway miles, your dpf gets clogged and replacing that can cost alot.

As someone who came from a 2.0 BMW diesel to the 1.2 Petrol Signature I was very doubtful as to how I would get on. However, I really enjoy the engine - it has plenty of power when you need it, and I had forgotten how quiet and smooth a Petrol motor is to drive. You do have to use the gears more to get the best out of it, and Ted is quite right when he says that diesel is a lazier drive, but I’m quite enjoying the difference. Only thing is the fuel consumption is horrendous - 37 or 38 at best on a long run, and 29 around town.

We consciously went for petrol as opposed to diesel.  The tide is turning as more is realised about the implications of the fuel.  I'm not expecting people to give them up in their droves, and there's some pretty old diesels out here in France.  But it ain't just about the people in the car.  Even drivers are pedestrians.

I've been driving round our hilly area a bit more and do have to change down more given the relative lack of torque, but I am very impressed with the quietness and smoothness of the 1.6 petrol.

5 hours ago, French J said:

We consciously went for petrol as opposed to diesel.  The tide is turning as more is realised about the implications of the fuel.  I

Me too, Renault and Nissan diesels are filthy - the emissions are many times higher in real life driving than the artificial testing (Euro 5 & 6). There are many articles on this this year, including:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/782194/diesel-car-NOX-emissions-pollution-vehicles

2 hours ago, turboted10 said:

However what about Renaults choice to produce the latest Scenic hybrid with the 1.5dci engine??.either they know something, have fixed emissions, or are privy to proposed future legislation

This article shows the boost that the Hybrid system give the new Scenic:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/renault-scenic-and-grand-scenic-hybrid-assist-models-now-sale

That's 13 hp more power, 70 NM [52 lb ft] more torque, and 8.3 more mpg. If those figures were added to a 1.2 petrol Kadjar, it's stats would become: 143 hp, 275 NM and a lot better mpg! I wonder why Renault chose the 1.5 diesel too?

18 minutes ago, ulfire said:

A move in the right direction . If they could get that up to 30 bhp it may  become slightly better than Hybrid Assist and capable of pure EV driving bringing down emissions more and increasing economy 

I don't think that's possible with the 150 Wh battery they are currently using? If my sums are right, it is capable of driving the 13 hp [10 kW] electric motors for a mere 54 seconds? Upping that to take 30 hp from it would reduce the boost to 23 seconds? Basically the system stores the energy normally lost as heat during braking, it's not meant as a stand-alone propulsion system?

17 minutes ago, turboted10 said:

No mention of nox emissions though which is kind of where this thread had headed?

There's a real shortage of information on that, even the London website doesn't cover all modern cars.  [https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/environment/pollution-and-air-quality/cleaning-londons-vehicles/newer-vehicle-checker] 

I was impressed that the Peugeot 3008 brochure includes pollution figures for carbon monoxide, total hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and particular matter. Unfortunately they are only theoretical and as the London site shows, the real nitrogen oxide figures are higher - as bad as two Euro-6 double decker buses! For the Peugeot 3008, the theoretical particulate levels for the little 1.2 petrol engine are about 10 times worse than the particulates from the diesels. I wonder when the powers-that-be notice that and insist particulate filters are fitted to petrol engines too? The Peugeot 1.6 petrol produces about a fifth the amount of particulates compared to the 1.2, I had assumed it was a problem with having a Turbo, but both engines have them... Anyone know when the new Government Tests will be introduced and how we will access the figures?