How do you use start stop feature?
2 2

59 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, AOne said:

Exactly :)

It's just 1 of those problems that's not worth wasting time and travel over, life's too short and all that.

The real issue is that if you collect enough of these minor points, the chance of ever opting for another Renault diminishes rapidly.

33 minutes ago, turboted10 said:

It's just 1 of those problems that's not worth wasting time and travel over, life's too short and all that.

The real issue is that if you collect enough of these minor points, the chance of ever opting for another Renault diminishes rapidly.

Well, I drive renaults for more then 6 years and I'm pretty pleased with the cars. Best value for money. There's also no guarantee if you switch to VW for example, it would be perfect in every aspect, beside the cost is a big difference. There are also faulty  details. I have absolutely no complains bout the car for 20K km and 6 months. Even the R-link works perfect. What's irritating me is only the Nissan inherited thing like the windows controls and car locking. The interior is also very "plastic" and cheap, but everything else is good enough. The fact that so many people from over Europe find this forum first to complain bout troubles they have, doesn't mean the car is crap in general :)

23 hours ago, AOne said:

Well, I drive renaults for more then 6 years and I'm pretty pleased with the cars. Best value for money. There's also no guarantee if you switch to VW for example, it would be perfect in every aspect, beside the cost is a big difference. There are also faulty  details. I have absolutely no complains bout the car for 20K km and 6 months. Even the R-link works perfect. What's irritating me is only the Nissan inherited thing like the windows controls and car locking. The interior is also very "plastic" and cheap, but everything else is good enough. The fact that so many people from over Europe find this forum first to complain bout troubles they have, doesn't mean the car is crap in general :)

No one has said "the car is crap in general".

I wasn't referring to myself, my Renault megane super tourer was bought at 10 months old and sold at 8 years, virtually faultless. Wife has had 2 clios, inc the near new one we have at present, daughter 2 clios and a megane, other daughter a megane and a scenic, none has had a single major problem.

What I meant was people coming to the brand. If you've had a car you consider near perfect then start getting little niggles from possibly your 1st Renault, it's likely to be your last, that was the point.

There is another point, of course people come here to moan, it's the same on every forum regardless of subject or brand. To be honest I quite like that. You can go to the dealer and he will blow the trumpet for the car, he'll even overstate it's virtues.

Then you can come here and get the otherside of the discussion.

Sorry Aone, I was still editing my post when you read it.

7 hours ago, Arthur_Kono said:

After battery and one connector (I don't know exactly which) replacement by warranty I don't have any start/stop issues anymore.

Good to hear you're all good already :) So, this appeared to be faulty equipment, not design fault ;)

14 hours ago, AOne said:

Good to hear you're all good already :) So, this appeared to be faulty equipment, not design fault ;)

I think production issue rather than design fault. I've had a few electronics issues on newish cars over the last 10 years or so. All have been connections at the ecu or a feeding sender.

I accept it as Renault (Nissan) quirk, again I can switch it off manually.

I think the stop/start feature is bad news. Why? Because it puts extra load on the battery and more importantly, wear on the starter motor. I always disable it when I start the engine.  Sadly, unlike Fiat and some other makes it can't be disabled as a default setting.

2 hours ago, RTFishall said:

I think the stop/start feature is bad news. Why? Because it puts extra load on the battery and more importantly, wear on the starter motor. I always disable it when I start the engine.  Sadly, unlike Fiat and some other makes it can't be disabled as a default setting.

But the Kadjar and Qashgai have both a super strong battery and a modified starter on start/stop models, price them at the parts shop to see

7 hours ago, turboted10 said:

But the Kadjar and Qashgai have both a super strong battery and a modified starter on start/stop models, price them at the parts shop to see

All the more reason for both to last even longer if the stop/start function is disabled.  Sorry, but I hate the stop/start function. Not to mention the slight delay on pulling away when the function turned on.

Also, any fuel saved while waiting at traffice lights is probably lost by the additional fuel used on the restart.

14 hours ago, RTFishall said:

All the more reason for both to last even longer if the stop/start function is disabled.  Sorry, but I hate the stop/start function. Not to mention the slight delay on pulling away when the function turned on.

Also, any fuel saved while waiting at traffice lights is probably lost by the additional fuel used on the restart.

It's been proven that it saves fuel, no extra revs are given so the maths are simple. Now, given that, and this is a guess, most folks here have bought new cars with a 4 year warranty and probably won't keep them that long, failure isn't even a consideration.

I've done this with every car that I've owed over the last 40 odd years, turn off every time I think I'm going to be stood for more than a few moments, never been caught out yet. My view is if the starter or the battery is on the way out it's gonna go anyway.

That tight on fuel and not even a Yorkshireman.;)

3 hours ago, turboted10 said:

It's been proven that it saves fuel, no extra revs are given so the maths are simple. Now, given that, and this is a guess, most folks here have bought new cars with a 4 year warranty and probably won't keep them that long, failure isn't even a consideration.

I've done this with every car that I've owed over the last 40 odd years, turn off every time I think I'm going to be stood for more than a few moments, never been caught out yet. My view is if the starter or the battery is on the way out it's gonna go anyway.

That tight on fuel and not even a Yorkshireman.;)

Sorry, but I still hate the function. (and I've owned cars for 55 years!  :lol:)

Use it all day if I could for me, having an auto foot on brake stop ending foot off brake engine start in the 0.3 of a second moving your foot it’s started.

i do however try not to sit in my seats as this creates wear on the material and i wouldn’t want to wear it out😂😂👍

6 hours ago, darenh said:

Use it all day if I could for me, having an auto foot on brake stop ending foot off brake engine start in the 0.3 of a second moving your foot it’s started.

i do however try not to sit in my seats as this creates wear on the material and i wouldn’t want to wear it out😂😂👍

Glad to hear it :). But perhaps if you had leather seats like on my Kadjar you would not worry :(about potential seat wear.  :lol:

15 hours ago, RTFishall said:

Glad to hear it :). But perhaps if you had leather seats like on my Kadjar you would not worry :(about potential seat wear.  :lol:

21 hours ago, darenh said:

I get the irony in that, ;), but I actually did that.  I bought a 10 month old Vectra that I kept for 8 years. I put h/d rubbish sacks on the seats next day and only removed them when selling.

Buyer, "oh, the seats are in lovely condition". Given the value of a 9 year old vectra I thought "you, prat, you've been sliding about on those old bags for years and.................."

It probably was a good idea, at that time I was usually covered in gardening or building muck and my seats would take a beating.

On 1/6/2018 at 0:37 PM, Arthur_Kono said:

Yes, it definitely  (electrical) engineering fault in Kadjar.  I stopped using start-stop because its benefits are doubtful.  We can maybe  save small amount of pollution, but lose in battery and starter lifetime.

I stopped for exactly the same reasons!

On 01/02/2018 at 10:46 PM, Packer_BG said:

I stopped for exactly the same reasons!

Me also, my main grip is that your choice on the "Stop/start" function (ie On or Off)  can't be set as a default setting. Unlike Fiat, Ford, Mazda and many other manufacturers.

Vive la France!   :lol:

3 hours ago, RTFishall said:

Yes and proud of it. I also voted "OUT" even though I have a frog car :P:lol:

Technological "improvements", that's the debateable bit, are common across all brands. Those that don't provide won't survive.

Voted out?, don't get me going on that one, we the older generation have voted out kids into a right mess, worse considering we reaped the benefits for 4 years.

You can guess which way I voted

2 hours ago, turboted10 said:

Technological "improvements", that's the debateable bit, are common across all brands. Those that don't provide won't survive.

Voted out?, don't get me going on that one, we the older generation have voted out kids into a right mess, worse considering we reaped the benefits for 4 years.

You can guess which way I voted

I know this is very, very much "off topic".  But I can't resit... What benefits for 40 years? Ask the people around Dover!  In the 1970's I voted to join a trading market (The Common Market) not a Federal Union that France and Germany which our successive weak governments have since allowed it to virtually mutate into.  If "Out" means our ship will sink, then at least we will have a British Captain at the helm. :)

1 hour ago, RTFishall said:

I know this is very, very much "off topic".  But I can't resit... What benefits for 40 years? Ask the people around Dover!  In the 1970's I voted to join a trading market (The Common Market) not a Federal Union that France and Germany which our successive weak governments have since allowed it to virtually mutate into.  If "Out" means our ship will sink, then at least we will have a British Captain at the helm. :)

No point in discussing it here .....way off topic . But if you think we'll have a British Captain at the helm , I think you may be disappointed . More likely we'll be following what Trump dictates :(

15 hours ago, ulfire said:

No point in discussing it here .....way off topic . But if you think we'll have a British Captain at the helm , I think you may be disappointed . More likely we'll be following what Trump dictates :(

Well perhaps better than a modern day version of De Gaulle and we know how much he loved Britain. ;)

3 hours ago, turboted10 said:

You mean like Edward John Smith, the British Titanic captain, now that was a bit of a disaster too

Captain Smith was "pushed" by the White Star Line owner who actually was not British!  Now we are being "pushed" by Jacques Delors and his friends to be our Captain or at least steer our ship. :(

3 hours ago, RTFishall said:

Captain Smith was "pushed" by the White Star Line owner who actually was not British!  Now we are being "pushed" by Jacques Delors and his friends to be our Captain or at least steer our ship. :(

When in a hole, stop digging, plus, please remember this is a European wide forum as can be easily detected from regulars comments. Direct racial stereotyping or prejudice is probably best left out, apart from a quick bash of the Renault company itself that is.