Windscreen replacement
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Wife took the Kadjar to Autoglass yesterday to have a badly chipped windscreen replaced. The technician said that he was unhappy with the calibration of the sensors  in the new screen and would order another one "from Renault".

From this I assume that there are non-genuine screens on the market with, perhaps, sub standard sensors attached.

I share this story so others can be aware of possible issues with screen replacement.

I'll also take the car for a high speed run after the next screen is fitted to check for the famous whistle.

Paul.

If he said the sensors are in the screen then I'd accept that that is where they are, I can't imagine rep co wanting to get involved in another screen rep otherwise, but we are all imagining.

I have a relative working at autowindscreens, I'll ask.

If they are behind the screen or mounted in the box itself then a recalibration would be needed anyway which is what I have read, or did I imagine it??;)

I wasn't there so I'm reporting second hand. I always thought that the sensors were bonded to the back of the screen and the box was just a cover. I might go myself next time and quiz the guy, just for interest.

I remember from my VW days, there were always issues with the auto wipers not working after a windscreen change, this was because the sensor when new had a gel surround which hardened once attached to a screen, the insurance companies wouldn't also replace the sensor due to costs, so the old one was put back but never seated properly as the gel had hardened, thus the auto wipers wouldn't work properly.