kadjar Petrol MPG
3 3

9 posts in this topic

had my brand new  kadjar 1.2 petrol 10 days now  mpg is so bad 22 miles per gallon  first renault ive ever  had and will be the last i can cope with lack of power but the cost is so expensive bought it as the guys at renault telling me it would return a mpg of 42 to 50 mpg  wish i had stayed with ford 

35 minutes ago, ian 147 said:

had my brand new  kadjar 1.2 petrol 10 days now  mpg is so bad 22 miles per gallon  first renault ive ever  had and will be the last i can cope with lack of power but the cost is so expensive bought it as the guys at renault telling me it would return a mpg of 42 to 50 mpg  wish i had stayed with ford 

It's not just Renault, the Honest John website will tell you the "Real MPG" that people send in for their cars: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ High-riding cars like the Kadjar, and ones with Turbos [in my opinion] will tend to have lower mpg figures. Our Kadjar 1.2 manual has done ~800 miles from new, at an average of 29 mpg; mainly round-town, often the engine not even getting to full temperature. A "lack of power" and just 22 mpg suggests something isn't quite right with your motor?

22 mpg does seem a little low :( . Are you doing lots of short journeys ? Do you live in a hilly area ? As far as the Renault guys go 42 to 50 mpg ? , they're having a laugh .

As johnbridge says above high riding cars have the drag coefficient of a brick  ,so 50 mpg is pretty unrealistic .  My diesel Kadjar only averaged about 55 mpg

My mpg is about the same as JohnBridge at the moment - 29-30. In summer I've been getting 33-34 tops! I don't do any long runs, most days it's only down to the local supermarket which is a round trip of about two and a half miles so the engine hardly ever gets to working temperature. I don't use the Eco setting but do have the speedo setting on "current mpg" permanently which tends to regulate my right foot. I expected more when I bought the car but the car drives so good that I can live with it. I would NOT live with it if I only got 22 mpg. Take it back to the dealers and get them to check it over.

32 mpg for me in my 1.2 TCE around town (suburbia) and no lack of power, there's plenty of that. Mostly me + 1 passenger. I don't drive it hard, just 'normally'  and I can get 37-40mpg on longer runs doing over 70 mph (but never 80) whenever I can.

22 mpg sounds to me like hard driving in stop-start conditions or windy roads in the peak District with a full load, soft tyres a full tank a big roof rack and then some! Otherwise, there's a fault somewhere or somethings badly worn.

10 hours ago, ian 147 said:

took it back to renault told me not driving it fast enough but mpg  should improve after 1000 miles

Not driving it fast enough ? :wacko:.Probably true it should improve after a thousand miles though .

The problem with that is if it doesn't improve it may be too late to reject it if it turns out to be a fault"

RUNNING IN
Petrol version
For the first 600 miles (1,000 km), do
not exceed 78 mph (130 km/h) in the
highest gear, or 3,000 to 3,500 rpm.
You may only expect top performance
from your vehicle after approximately
1,800 miles (3,000 km)."

Never had anything that gave 22mpg even in my caravaning days, 2ltr cav with 16ft Swift in tow never returned less than that. 

IF, and I have to say that, if that is the actual fuel return you are getting then something is wrong somewhere. I can only comment on my diesel 1.5 but the point is the car did free up but very little  lets say from about 50 to 52 mpg. I don't think an improvement to 23mpg is going to work for you.

Now I'd do some very careful tests even if it means mileage and juice you don't want to use. Drive it  steadily for a good few miles and check then drive how you normally would or something like that but do it warmed up and do it over 20miles each time otherwise your results aren't really valid. 

The real disappointment for me, and at this time of year I get around 52mpg even from cold and on round time journeys but if I set foot on the motorways and get over 60mph it drops to around 40mpg at 80mph, as Ulfire said the aerodynamics of a brick, it is the worst example of loss of aerodynamics at speed that I've owned.

What to do if it's still the same? You can only go back but this time armed with more specific info, I don't know what the reaction will be, but I wouldn't be hopeful.

Edited to add a daft but poignant observation, you aren't driving around with under inflated tyres are you??. 

Our Kadjar, 1.5 diesel automatic, is currently returning about 46 mpg ( which is the lowest we've had). It's a lot more fuel efficient than our previous Ford Mondeo 1.8 diesel manual, but that was a much larger car and the Ford Engine had a reputation for being inefficient fuel wise. 

On our first long journey in France we were averaging around 52mpg, a big saving on our fuel costs compared to the Ford.