Can I turn off tyre pressure monitoring?
4 4

73 posts in this topic

I do not understand why all this moaning about TPMS's... I have spare 19" rims with winter tyres and sensors. I paid for TPMS reasonable 36€/piece as original spare part at dealer's garage. System automatically recognized new sensors after 2 miles of driving without any need to adjust or programming... 

11 hours ago, robertp said:

I do not understand why all this moaning about TPMS's... I have spare 19" rims with winter tyres and sensors. I paid for TPMS reasonable 36€/piece as original spare part at dealer's garage. System automatically recognized new sensors after 2 miles of driving without any need to adjust or programming... 

£/Eu 144 is alot to many people simply to put a warning light out. The OP was asking if there was a way to avoid it rather than moaning.;)

4 hours ago, turboted10 said:

£/Eu 144 is alot to many people simply to put a warning light out. The OP was asking if there was a way to avoid it rather than moaning.;)

OP? are you referring to me? A 71 year old OP or is it OAP? I love driving my Kadjar at 60mph and pisxing off all the boy racers in their clapped out old cars waiting for their failed MOT.:lol::lol::lol:

18 hours ago, RTFishall said:

OP? are you referring to me? A 71 year old OP or is it OAP? I love driving my Kadjar at 60mph and pisxing off all the boy racers in their clapped out old cars waiting for their failed MOT.:lol::lol::lol:

OP = Original Poster;)

Well, If you have money to buy such a car for 20k+ then I suppose you have money to own it... Otherwise buy something cheaper or use public transportation. As simple as that.

Ownership of a car was, is and will always be an expense... 

And there is not just to turn off irritating warning light... 

22 hours ago, robertp said:

Well, If you have money to buy such a car for 20k+ then I suppose you have money to own it... Otherwise buy something cheaper or use public transportation. As simple as that.

Ownership of a car was, is and will always be an expense... 

And there is not just to turn off irritating warning light... 

Public transport? Do you mean for me in rural Lincolnshire walking about 1 mile in pouring rain to the nearest bus stop with no shelter, where with luck a bus will arrive (+/- 20 minutes) twice a day? Believe it or not we don't all live in places like London!   First :angry: then :lol:

Still, I guess I can afford to own and run a Kadjar because I didn't have to pay stupid prices to buy a house in places like London.  :)

21 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

Public transport? Do you mean for me in rural Lincolnshire walking about 1 mile in pouring rain to the nearest bus stop with no shelter, where with luck a bus will arrive (+/- 20 minutes) twice a day? Believe it or not we don't all live in places like London!   First :angry: then :lol:

Still, I guess I can afford to own and run a Kadjar because I didn't have to pay stupid prices to buy a house in places like London.  :)

Well in that case... 

I do not live in capitol of my county either... So I just bought that TPMS sensors. As I understand it is even not legal to turn system off.

To update on my original post  and for anyone who's thinking of doing the same: I decided to err on the side of caution and ordered pressure sensors from carparts4less, around £28 each I think. Got them fitted to my second hand winter wheels, had to do one final reset via the touchscreen and by the following day, hey presto, we are sorted and pressures are now displayed for the winter wheels. No need for Renault to programme them or anything, the computer just picks them up and "learns them". Hopefully this will be ok when it comes to first MOT which will land in the winter of 2020!

54 minutes ago, Lindser said:

To update on my original post  and for anyone who's thinking of doing the same: I decided to err on the side of caution and ordered pressure sensors from carparts4less, around £28 each I think. Got them fitted to my second hand winter wheels, had to do one final reset via the touchscreen and by the following day, hey presto, we are sorted and pressures are now displayed for the winter wheels. No need for Renault to programme them or anything, the computer just picks them up and "learns them". Hopefully this will be ok when it comes to first MOT which will land in the winter of 2020!

Still seems a lot of money that a simple £2.00 pressure gauge from Halfords etc and a tyre pressure check just before an MOT couldn't solve. After all, surely they can't fail a car if the tyre pressure is proven to be correct. However, in this mad tech driven age nothing now suprises me! Perhaps there is an iPhone App that can help. :unsure:

48 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

Still seems a lot of money that a simple £2.00 pressure gauge from Halfords etc and a tyre pressure check just before an MOT couldn't solve. After all, surely they can't fail a car if the tyre pressure is proven to be correct. However, in this mad tech driven age nothing now suprises me! Perhaps there is an iPhone App that can help. :unsure:

The whole point of the TPM is that the driver can tell if there's a puncture developing whilst the car is in motion . If the driver sees that it continues to drop , he/she can stop to assess the situation before the car is running on it's rims with the potential of an accident . I know it's a mad tech age but some things are a good use of technology , of which I think this is one.

The Iphone app is a possibility I suppose. But how would the phone know you've got a flat unless there's a TPM sensor on the wheel ? Sort of back to square one :D

I think they are handy and the powers that be must do too hence the addition to MOT requirements.  I puzzle over the fact that extra heavy load tyres are fitted to the qashqai/kadjar when the load on the ultra wide large dia tyres is actually less than on a standard hatchback.

I ran a low pressure tyre completely off the rim in my qashqai, slow puncture that simply didn't transmit into "feel" when driving, just the situation Ulfire is suggesting. RAC man said he's seen many and all said they never felt a thing until the tyre came off the rim on a corner as mine did.   They get my vote.

23 hours ago, ulfire said:

The whole point of the TPM is that the driver can tell if there's a puncture developing whilst the car is in motion . If the driver sees that it continues to drop , he/she can stop to assess the situation before the car is running on it's rims with the potential of an accident . I know it's a mad tech age but some things are a good use of technology , of which I think this is one.

The Iphone app is a possibility I suppose. But how would the phone know you've got a flat unless there's a TPM sensor on the wheel ? Sort of back to square one :D

Perhaps an audible warning would be more helpful. After all, looking at all the info on the display while driving at 70 mph can also be a potential danger.

I worked with a guy who was once stopped by the police on the M11 while driving. The Officer said "Do you know you were doing 95mph?", His reply was "Do you think I'm looking at the fxxking speedo when I'm going that fast?".  I was told the Officer did have a wry smile as he handed over the ticket!

16 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

Perhaps an audible warning would be more helpful. After all, looking at all the info on the display while driving at 70 mph can also be a potential danger

With that logic , your engine could seize up because you haven't looked at the oil warning light :D

16 hours ago, ulfire said:

With that logic , your engine could seize up because you haven't looked at the oil warning light :D

I just repeat.... Audible warnings would be far more useful.  (eg. tyre pressure, oil and engine temp.  Still, I conceded to your clearly superior knowledge.  ;)

10 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

I just repeat.... Audible warnings would be far more useful.  (eg. tyre pressure, oil and engine temp.  Still, I conceded to your clearly superior knowledge.  ;)

Agreed audible warnings would be useful ,maybe louder ones as the age related deafness increases :) . One thought on that though is :-  how many cars have you owned with audible warnings for oil, temperature etc ? . 

Anything that promotes a safer driving experience is fine by me . I do not possess a superior knowledge than most it's just my practical experience of driving since the 70s and maybe a little wisdom of advancing years......though my wife wouldn't agree with that :D

26 minutes ago, ulfire said:

Agreed audible warnings would be useful ,maybe louder ones as the age related deafness increases :) . One thought on that though is :-  how many cars have you owned with audible warnings for oil, temperature etc ? . 

Anything that promotes a safer driving experience is fine by me . I do not possess a superior knowledge than most it's just my practical experience of driving since the 70s and maybe a little wisdom of advancing years......though my wife wouldn't agree with that :D

I've been driving since 1963 (married 1968) and one thing I've learned over the years is that the best audible warning system in all the cars I've ever had is the WIFE! :lol:

However, if I could roll back all the years I'd swap all this modern tech crap for a car with front bench seats and a colume gear change. ;)

10 hours ago, RTFishall said:

If that were the case I'd restart this thread and say " how do you turn off those bloody annoying beeps that don't give me a clue what they are for, I'd sooner read the symbols/message":rolleyes:;)

15 hours ago, turboted10 said:

If that were the case I'd restart this thread and say " how do you turn off those bloody annoying beeps that don't give me a clue what they are for, I'd sooner read the symbols/message":rolleyes:;)

Perhaps then the answer is to buy a 1951 Hillman Minx or a younger 1970's Ford Zephyr? However, one would then have no iPhone blue tooth connection and you would actually need to look at a paper map to work out where you were going.

:rolleyes:;)

Maybe only getting 30mpg and 0-60mph in 60 seconds might just be a price worth paying.:lol:

20 hours ago, RTFishall said:

Perhaps then the answer is to buy a 1951 Hillman Minx or a younger 1970's Ford Zephyr? However, one would then have no iPhone blue tooth connection and you would actually need to look at a paper map to work out where you were going.

:rolleyes:;)

Maybe only getting 30mpg and 0-60mph in 60 seconds might just be a price worth paying.:lol:

You're not wrong in that. I'm sure there is still an east european option that has no fancy electronics and is available in the Uk, ok not a Hillman but the closest you will get.

Think back, that Hillman or any other brand would likely have been a perforated rust bucket at 12 years old and destined for the scrappy. Today most cars if not crashed end up as scrap as an ecu or diesel injection pump has failed and the car isn't worth the £1200 or so for it's replacement. Yes, in some respects we have gone backwards but in general I know which situation I prefer.

2 hours ago, turboted10 said:

You're not wrong in that. I'm sure there is still an east european option that has no fancy electronics and is available in the Uk, ok not a Hillman but the closest you will get.

Think back, that Hillman or any other brand would likely have been a perforated rust bucket at 12 years old and destined for the scrappy. Today most cars if not crashed end up as scrap as an ecu or diesel injection pump has failed and the car isn't worth the £1200 or so for it's replacement. Yes, in some respects we have gone backwards but in general I know which situation I prefer.

I guess then we have just exchanged rusting bodywork for another form of obsolescence.  Still the bench seat and colume gear shift was very useful when I was 18 years old in 1964!   ;) 

On 08/02/2018 at 11:52 AM, RTFishall said:

I guess then we have just exchanged rusting bodywork for another form of obsolescence.  Still the bench seat and colume gear shift was very useful when I was 18 years old in 1964!   ;) 

Memories, memories:rolleyes:;)