• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Can I turn off tyre pressure monitoring?
4 4

59 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, J C said:

Hi Yes I rather thought that was the case and thanks for that ulfire next thought ( is this two today before 9am ) what powers said sensors battery's ???🤔   And how long do they usually work for🤔

JC😎😎☕️☕️🥃🥃

"The batteries in the closed-system sensors are expected to last five to seven years or 50,000 to 70,000 miles, but several tire dealers Tire Business spoke to said they haven't seen a high rate of battery failure—yet "

Hi Yes I HAVE moved our wheels back to front I left pressures same so as to check  if sensors work , so when moved 31 front 34 rear  did reset thing on screen  drove down road  took a while about a mile and half to get numbers but it showed 31 front 34 rear so yes you can move wheels around no problem at all 😀😀😀

JC. 😎😎🥃🥃☕️☕️

28 minutes ago, turboted10 said:

Useful, now, how do they actually work?  Much said on here and reported info about if you change the wheels around the signal comes from the wrong place etc etc.

Anybody got the definitive answer?, Arthur K's experience seems to suggest it's automatic in which case is there a receiver near each wheel that relays to the brain?

As I see it , it uses a GPS type system to locate wheel positioning so they would all be the same . Having individual sensors allocated to each wheel makes no logistical sense ...at least not to me . 

22 hours ago, ulfire said:

Understood Ted ...but how would you know if your tyres were the correct pressure with TPMS disabled ? You could pick up a nail in the tyre after pulling out of the garage . 

To me as an old faxt of 71 years.  I'm old enough to remember the days when we actually got out of the car and used a simple bit of kit called a Tyre Pressure Gauge and believe it or not, we even knew when we were hot or cold without the the car telling us!

However, I'm still awaiting a button to mute audio feedback from the wife while I'm driving.   :(

Edited by RTFishall
addtion

1 hour ago, turboted10 said:

I get what you say but it's far simpler than using GPS, that would have to be "weapons grade" system to pinpoint the difference between LH wheel and right.

Another thing that springs to mind is what about if a spare wheel with a sensor is stored in the boot?

If it is GPS ffs hope it doesn't use the same sats as the RLINK nav, it wouldn't know what car it was on let alone which wheel.;)

Edited;

From wikiwhatnot;

Direct TPMS[edit]

Main article: Direct TPMS

Direct TPMS employ pressure sensors on each wheel, either internal or external. The sensors physically measure the tire pressure in each tire and report it to the vehicle's instrument cluster or a corresponding monitor. Some units also measure and alert temperatures of the tire as well. These systems can identify under-inflation in any combination, be it one tire or all, simultaneously. Although the systems vary in transmitting options, many TPMS products (both OEM and aftermarket) can display real time tire pressures at each location monitored whether the vehicle is moving or parked. There are many different solutions, but all of them have to face the problems of exposure to hostile environments. The majority are powered by batteries which limit their useful life. Some sensors utilise a wireless power system similar to that used in RFID tag reading which solves the problem of limited battery life by electromagnetic induction. This also increases the frequency of data transmission up to 40 Hz and reduces the sensor weight which can be important in motorsport applications. If the sensors are mounted on the outside of the wheel, as are some aftermarket systems, they are subject to mechanical damage, aggressive fluids, as well as theft. When mounted on the inside of the rim, they are no longer easily accessible for battery change and the RF link must overcome the attenuating effects of the tire which increases the energy need.

A direct TPMS sensor consists of the following main functions requiring only a few external components — e.g. battery, housing, PCB — to get the sensor module that is mounted to the valve stem inside the tire:

• pressure sensor;
  • analog-digital converter;
  • microcontroller;
  • system controller;
  • oscillator;?
  • radio frequency transmitter;
  • low frequency receiver, and
  • voltage regulator (battery management).

Most originally fitted dTPMS have the sensors mounted on the inside of the rims and the batteries are not exchangeable. This means, that when a battery reaches the end of its lifespan, the whole sensor has to be replaced. And even if it was possible to pop new batteries into an old sensor, it would not make much difference, because the sensor comes equipped with sensitive electronic elements, that also wear out with time and influenced by pressure and vibration[6]. When used in low-profile wheels, TPMS sensors wear out sooner, as well as when they are used in poor road conditions. With a battery change then meaning that the whole sensor will have to be replaced and the exchange being possible only with the tires dismounted, the lifetime of the battery becomes a crucial parameter. To save energy and prolong battery life, many dTPMS sensors do not transmit information when not rotating (which eliminates spare tire monitoring) or apply a complex, expensive two-way communication which enables wake-up of the sensor. For OEM auto dTPMS units to work properly, they need to recognize the sensor positions and must ignore the signals from other vehicles. There are numerous tools and procedures to make the dTPMS "learn" or "re-learn" this information, some driver implemented, others done by workshops. The cost and variety of spare parts, procedures and tools has led to trouble and confusion for customers and workshops.

Aftermarket dTPMS units not only transmit while vehicles are moving or parked, but also provide users with numerous advanced monitoring options including data logging, remote monitoring options and more. They are available for all types of vehicles, from motorcycles to heavy equipment, and can monitor up to 64 tires at a time, which is important for commercial vehicles. Many aftermarket dTPMS units do not require specialized tools to program or reset, making them much simpler to use.

Is all this for the  benefit of me or the car industry/government.

Beam me up Scotty and give me back as a 17 year old (in the 1960's)  my old first car, a 1951 Hillman Minx and I'll be happy at 35mpg and a maxium of 60mph . We are all being conned!

PS. Tyres are spelt "Tyres" not "Tires" (Believe it or not we still drive on the left!)  lol

10 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

Is all this for the  benefit of me or the car industry/government.

Beam me up Scotty and give me back as a 17 year old (in the 1960's)  my old first car, a 1951 Hillman Minx and I'll be happy at 35mpg and a maxium of 60mph . We are all being conned!

PS. Tyres are spelt "Tyres" not "Tires" (Believe it or not we still drive on the left!)  lol

It's mainly for the safety of people who never check their pressures and those who are such crap drivers that they are unaware that they are driving on their rims . We've all seen and heard them :D

The spelling is probably because these reports were probably copied and pasted from sites on the other side of the pond . They never could spell over there and they even have a president who makes words now and just about anything else :D

17 minutes ago, ulfire said:

It's mainly for the safety of people who never check their pressures and those who are such crap drivers that they are unaware that they are driving on their rims . We've all seen and heard them :D

The spelling is probably because these reports were probably copied and pasted from sites on the other side of the pond . They never could spell over there and they even have a president who makes words now and just about anything else :D

Oh ulfire, I only wish I had your wisdom. :(

Still, perhaps it's because I now drive a French car and we all know how much the Frogs love us Brits!  :lol:

3 hours ago, turboted10 said:

Careful, they have us by the nuts remember. And from me referring to wikipedo as wikiwhatnot, not much respect in that direction either. 

They can spell it how they want, don't add up to a hal'porth of beans in states speak.

Ah, my old viva estate, rearwheel drive with knife edge tyres that let you know if they had lost a PSI or 2, BECAUSE YOU SIMPLY COULDN'T TURN THE DAM STEERING.

Vauxhall Viva, you were lucky! It could have been worse, you could have had like me a Ford Popular. At least a Viva would start!  Or, even the worst car ever made the Morris Marina!

Believe it or not, there is even a Morris Marina Club still active. Just proves how many sad people still drive.  :lol:

Yep, agree with you Ted. I had a K reg Marina between 74 and 77. It never let me down. Yellowy Cack Brown with brown interior. No RLink2 or out of date maps in those days. How did we manage?

How dare you, I was the proud owner of a 1.8 Marina TC,  (;)).  Actually it was a quick car, faster than a 2ltr cortina GT but flat out at 90. Wore a set of steering trunnions out for every MOT

How dare you, I was the proud owner of a 1.8 Marina TC,  (;)).  Actually it was a quick car, faster than a 2ltr cortina GT but flat out at 90. Wore a set of steering trunnions out for every MOT

Oh ulfire, I only wish I had your wisdom. :(

Still, perhaps it's because I now drive a French car and we all know how much the Frogs love us Brits!  :lol:

Well, for my sins I was given a Morris Marina GL as a company car in the early 1980's after having wondeful Cortinas previously. After having the Ford, I found the Morris tinnie and with terrible clutch. Even the noisey engine was still basically a vitually unchanged pre-war design. I hated the car so much I used to leave it unlocked in a car park in Brighton (Churchill Road) whilst at work, a place then noted for car theft. It was never stolen:(.  A guy I worked with even sometimes left his with the keys in! The thieves clearly obviously knew their cars.

Later in life I got to know a guy who worked on the Marina production line in Birmingham. He once told me you only needed to look in the worker's car park to see what most of them drove  (Fords and Vauxhall) despite a company purchase discount for employees!:rolleyes:

Then came salvation, I was given a Vauxhall Cavalier in replacement. Happy days.

On 1/8/2018 at 2:20 PM, Lindser said:

I do apologise! My big fat finger must have slipped! Mine is indeed 34 and 31!

So, 2017 have also 18" wheels. Mine, 2016 has only 17" and 19"...

I do not understand why all this moaning about TPMS's... I have spare 19" rims with winter tyres and sensors. I paid for TPMS reasonable 36€/piece as original spare part at dealer's garage. System automatically recognized new sensors after 2 miles of driving without any need to adjust or programming... 

4 hours ago, turboted10 said:

£/Eu 144 is alot to many people simply to put a warning light out. The OP was asking if there was a way to avoid it rather than moaning.;)

OP? are you referring to me? A 71 year old OP or is it OAP? I love driving my Kadjar at 60mph and pisxing off all the boy racers in their clapped out old cars waiting for their failed MOT.:lol::lol::lol:

Well, If you have money to buy such a car for 20k+ then I suppose you have money to own it... Otherwise buy something cheaper or use public transportation. As simple as that.

Ownership of a car was, is and will always be an expense... 

And there is not just to turn off irritating warning light... 

22 hours ago, robertp said:

Well, If you have money to buy such a car for 20k+ then I suppose you have money to own it... Otherwise buy something cheaper or use public transportation. As simple as that.

Ownership of a car was, is and will always be an expense... 

And there is not just to turn off irritating warning light... 

Public transport? Do you mean for me in rural Lincolnshire walking about 1 mile in pouring rain to the nearest bus stop with no shelter, where with luck a bus will arrive (+/- 20 minutes) twice a day? Believe it or not we don't all live in places like London!   First :angry: then :lol:

Still, I guess I can afford to own and run a Kadjar because I didn't have to pay stupid prices to buy a house in places like London.  :)

21 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

Public transport? Do you mean for me in rural Lincolnshire walking about 1 mile in pouring rain to the nearest bus stop with no shelter, where with luck a bus will arrive (+/- 20 minutes) twice a day? Believe it or not we don't all live in places like London!   First :angry: then :lol:

Still, I guess I can afford to own and run a Kadjar because I didn't have to pay stupid prices to buy a house in places like London.  :)

Well in that case... 

I do not live in capitol of my county either... So I just bought that TPMS sensors. As I understand it is even not legal to turn system off.

To update on my original post  and for anyone who's thinking of doing the same: I decided to err on the side of caution and ordered pressure sensors from carparts4less, around £28 each I think. Got them fitted to my second hand winter wheels, had to do one final reset via the touchscreen and by the following day, hey presto, we are sorted and pressures are now displayed for the winter wheels. No need for Renault to programme them or anything, the computer just picks them up and "learns them". Hopefully this will be ok when it comes to first MOT which will land in the winter of 2020!

54 minutes ago, Lindser said:

To update on my original post  and for anyone who's thinking of doing the same: I decided to err on the side of caution and ordered pressure sensors from carparts4less, around £28 each I think. Got them fitted to my second hand winter wheels, had to do one final reset via the touchscreen and by the following day, hey presto, we are sorted and pressures are now displayed for the winter wheels. No need for Renault to programme them or anything, the computer just picks them up and "learns them". Hopefully this will be ok when it comes to first MOT which will land in the winter of 2020!

Still seems a lot of money that a simple £2.00 pressure gauge from Halfords etc and a tyre pressure check just before an MOT couldn't solve. After all, surely they can't fail a car if the tyre pressure is proven to be correct. However, in this mad tech driven age nothing now suprises me! Perhaps there is an iPhone App that can help. :unsure:

48 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

Still seems a lot of money that a simple £2.00 pressure gauge from Halfords etc and a tyre pressure check just before an MOT couldn't solve. After all, surely they can't fail a car if the tyre pressure is proven to be correct. However, in this mad tech driven age nothing now suprises me! Perhaps there is an iPhone App that can help. :unsure:

The whole point of the TPM is that the driver can tell if there's a puncture developing whilst the car is in motion . If the driver sees that it continues to drop , he/she can stop to assess the situation before the car is running on it's rims with the potential of an accident . I know it's a mad tech age but some things are a good use of technology , of which I think this is one.

The Iphone app is a possibility I suppose. But how would the phone know you've got a flat unless there's a TPM sensor on the wheel ? Sort of back to square one :D

23 hours ago, ulfire said:

The whole point of the TPM is that the driver can tell if there's a puncture developing whilst the car is in motion . If the driver sees that it continues to drop , he/she can stop to assess the situation before the car is running on it's rims with the potential of an accident . I know it's a mad tech age but some things are a good use of technology , of which I think this is one.

The Iphone app is a possibility I suppose. But how would the phone know you've got a flat unless there's a TPM sensor on the wheel ? Sort of back to square one :D

Perhaps an audible warning would be more helpful. After all, looking at all the info on the display while driving at 70 mph can also be a potential danger.

I worked with a guy who was once stopped by the police on the M11 while driving. The Officer said "Do you know you were doing 95mph?", His reply was "Do you think I'm looking at the fxxking speedo when I'm going that fast?".  I was told the Officer did have a wry smile as he handed over the ticket!

16 minutes ago, RTFishall said:

Perhaps an audible warning would be more helpful. After all, looking at all the info on the display while driving at 70 mph can also be a potential danger

With that logic , your engine could seize up because you haven't looked at the oil warning light :D

16 hours ago, ulfire said:

With that logic , your engine could seize up because you haven't looked at the oil warning light :D

I just repeat.... Audible warnings would be far more useful.  (eg. tyre pressure, oil and engine temp.  Still, I conceded to your clearly superior knowledge.  ;)