• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Can I turn off tyre pressure monitoring?
4 4

59 posts in this topic

I’ve put winter wheels on my lad jar but because they don’t have pressure sensors fitted,  I’m getting the warning lights coming on. I can reset using touchscreen but every 7 miles or so, once it realises it can’t find sensors again, they come back on. Is there any way to disable it for the winter period?

Tyre pressure monitoring is a legal requirement on cars built in the last few years.

Driving without an active system probably invalidates your insurance.

I'd suggest either getting monitors for your winter wheels or putting winter tyres on the wheels with monitors.

As I understand it, you are in the UK. Probably it is a legal requirement there to have the monitoring on your car. But worth checking. All EU has this requirement on new cars since a couple of years. But then the local laws may differ. In Sweden, for instance, the monitoring is fitted on all new cars, but you can legally remove it the second you own the car. And you must not put it on new tyres. But the warning message will still be there...

The reason why some countries have not implemented this requirement in their local law? In Sweden, the reason is, that since "everyone" changes from summer to winter tyres, the pressure will be checked twice a year. Which is deemed to be enough.

The same thing has just happened to me.  What a ripp off buying new tyres is!  Why was I not given the option of keeping the "old" valves which after all had only been on the previous tyres for 14k miles and presumably had sensors?

What next, a sealed windscreen washer bottle only refillable by Renault?

On 02/12/2017 at 9:13 PM, Karl said:

As I understand it, you are in the UK. Probably it is a legal requirement there to have the monitoring on your car. But worth checking. All EU has this requirement on new cars since a couple of years. But then the local laws may differ. In Sweden, for instance, the monitoring is fitted on all new cars, but you can legally remove it the second you own the car. And you must not put it on new tyres. But the warning message will still be there...

The reason why some countries have not implemented this requirement in their local law? In Sweden, the reason is, that since "everyone" changes from summer to winter tyres, the pressure will be checked twice a year. Which is deemed to be enough.

Perhaps long term it just might make Brexit worthwile after all!  :rolleyes:

I was thinking more of Construction and Use regulations (is that still the correct term?).

If you modify your vehicle and don't tell your Insurance Co, and they find out, I suspect they will invalidate your cover. Any excuse will do for them.

It's a prerequisite of motor insurance that you vehicle should be taxed , have an MOT ( where required ) and maintained in a roadworthy condition  . Disabling  mandatory safety features of the vehicle , in this case TPMS , would mean the car is not roadworthy voiding your insurance ...if they found out of course :)

The tyres on my Kajar 1.5d are 19" 225. 45.

Can someone please tell me in good "old fashioned" PSI what pressure the front and back tyres should be for normal loads. I can't understand the sticker on the door as it might as well be for me in Egyptian hieroglyphs!  :(

Also, if as previously stated any undeclared modifcation could void the insurance cover. Does that include the Dearler's sticker on the back window or fluffy dice hanging off the mirror?  :rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, ulfire said:

2.2 bar is 32 psi ..... depends how big the dice and stickers are I suppose :D

Thanks for your reply.

Does that mean then there is no different pressure required between the front and back tyres and that bothshould be 32 psi?

PS. I'm now waiting for a message on the R-Link dashboard screen saying... "Buy a Kia Sportage next time".  With a 7 year warranty I wish I had.  Still, I guess life is full of mistakes :(

1 hour ago, RTFishall said:

The tyres on my Kajar 1.5d are 19" 225. 45.

Can someone please tell me in good "old fashioned" PSI what pressure the front and back tyres should be for normal loads. I can't understand the sticker on the door as it might as well be for me in Egyptian hieroglyphs!  :(

Also, if as previously stated any undeclared modifcation could void the insurance cover. Does that include the Dearler's sticker on the back window or fluffy dice hanging off the mirror?  :rolleyes:

My Kadjar is 33 psi front and 31 psi back - mine’s a petrol if that makes a difference??!!

36 minutes ago, Lindser said:

My Kadjar is 33 psi front and 31 psi back - mine’s a petrol if that makes a difference??!!

Here's the sticker on my Sep 2017 1.2 petrol. Wonder why the fronts on that are 1 psi different from Lindser's?

tyre pressure label.jpg

12 minutes ago, Johnbridge said:

Here's the sticker on my Sep 2017 1.2 petrol. Wonder why the fronts on that are 1 psi different from Lindser's?

tyre pressure label.jpg

I do apologise! My big fat finger must have slipped! Mine is indeed 34 and 31!

Just now, turboted10 said:

No, I don't think so, it simply has to be in a roadworthy condition unless they can prove otherwise. If the tyres are of the correct pressure then no, nothing breached re insurance.

They have tried this many times and always the same, if there is nothing wrong then they have to pay

But if you come off the road on a hairpin because your tyre pressures were way off , and I mean almost flat , with your TPMS system is disabled the vehicle is not roadworthy at that instant of time :)

Just now, Lindser said:

Surely then all older cars without TPMS should all be deemed unroadworthy?

That would start a riot :D .  TPMS in itself is not an indicator of roadworthyness  it 's a safety aid . If the sensors aren't working and the tyre pressures are correct , the car is roadworthy . Disabling the TPMS , as Ted says , would be a fail on an MOT the same way as bypassing the DPF is 

I have acquired a kadjar so does that mean that if I need to change a tyre at the local tyre garage then I need to have a sensor put it? Where are the sensors? And do I have to go to the Renault dealer to have it calibrated ? 

7 hours ago, Nordicgod said:

And do I have to go to the Renault dealer to have it calibrated ? 

No.

I just bought  them from e-bay and installed at the winter tires rims. They start working automagically.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VDO-Tire-Pressure-TPMS-Sensor-Fits-LADA-NISSAN-RENAULT-Megane-MPV-407004CB0A/162625762874?fits=Car+Make%3ARenault&epid=2166236563&hash=item25dd40363a:g:t~IAAOSwiqtZjEOh

Hi Yes  getting a little confused my self     ( happens a lot these days ). my thought is this when I need to fit new tyres  replacing  old worn out ones on our kj fitted on 19" wheels will the existing sensors have to be replaced to  fit new valves or do existing ones still work indeed is the valve even connected  to the sensor?????  I say this as we had a puncture a while  back and the sensor was not replaced but not sure about the valve , the sensor as I recall is stuck to the rim inside the tyre but not sure if connected to valve , so will I need new sensors Yes or no ??? 🤔

many thanks

JC😎😎🥃🥃☕️☕️

Just now, J C said:

Hi Yes  getting a little confused my self     ( happens a lot these days ). my thought is this when I need to fit new tyres  replacing  old worn out ones on our kj fitted on 19" wheels will the existing sensors have to be replaced to  fit new valves or do existing ones still work indeed is the valve even connected  to the sensor?????  I say this as we had a puncture a while  back and the sensor was not replaced but not sure about the valve , the sensor as I recall is stuck to the rim inside the tyre but not sure if connected to valve , so will I need new sensors Yes or no ??? 🤔

many thanks

JC😎😎🥃🥃☕️☕️

The tyre pressure monitors are fitted to the wheel not the tyre so they don't need to changed unless they are damaged . New valves or stems can be fitted to the sensors if necessary

Hi Yes I rather thought that was the case and thanks for that ulfire next thought ( is this two today before 9am ) what powers said sensors battery's ???🤔   And how long do they usually work for🤔

JC😎😎☕️☕️🥃🥃