Tire Pressure Warnings
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Hi all

had a peculiar dash warning this morning, Low Tyre Pressure.  I have had it before when a rear tyre showed low pressure it dropped to 1.9bar topped it up , the end.

today same warning popped up i thought it could be the rear again but no, both fronts showing 1.9bar when i last looked they were 2.3 N/S/R showing 2.0 O/S/F 2.2 where i left it a couple of months ago. i topped them all to the correct pressure, I will have to keep an eye on them, checked all the tyres for screws etc. 

has anyone else had sudden pressure drop

14 minutes ago, BobLyn said:

That is a good point reference the cold weather, as when on a motorway the tyre pressures will increase and then decrease when cooled down.😉

The gauge would show 1.9 bar because the tyre pressure is that low in sub zero temperatures . Drive a mile or two and they will show normally again because the air in the tyre has been heated up by friction . 

5 minutes ago, shedder101 said:

could well be the cold, never gave i a thought , but both fronts were showing 1.9 bar from my tire pressure gauge not the one on the car. but they look to be quite accurate  

The gauge would show 1.9 bar because the tyre pressure is that low in sub zero temperatures . Drive a mile or two and they will show normally again because the air in the tyre has been heated up by friction . 

20 minutes ago, ulfire said:

i did try that, i am a bugger for ignoring stupid warnings, had done a 6 mile trip some at 40 mph and they still showed the same pressure 

What I found with the tyre pressure warning was that it would remain on until I turned the engine off and back on so that it could sample again . There's no way that the pressure should be the same after 6 miles .

3 minutes ago, ulfire said:

What I found with the tyre pressure warning was that it would remain on until I turned the engine off and back on so that it could sample again . There's no way that the pressure should be the same after 6 miles .

it was, also when topping up the tire with my compressor it showed in real time the pressure increasing to 2.3bar and tha what was on my compressor as well  

22 minutes ago, ulfire said:

Mine normally warm from 36 psi cold to 42 psi when warm ,which is normal . I Don't use nitrogen  it's a con ,good for airplane wheels but very little impact on cars 

sorry have to disagree with that, nitrogen is less dense, where air will eventually leak out of the tyre nitrogen wont, also you dont get the pressure fluctuation as you do with normal air, thats why its used in F1 and other sport when you need to keep the same pressure hot or cold 

Agree regarding the pressure fluctuation , that's why I said it's important for airplanes and , as you say , F1 where the tyres take a hammering . Not so sure about cars though , I haven't needed to put air in mine for a year apart from a puncture :)

1 hour ago, shedder101 said:

sorry have to disagree with that, nitrogen is less dense, where air will eventually leak out of the tyre nitrogen wont, also you dont get the pressure fluctuation as you do with normal air, thats why its used in F1 and other sport when you need to keep the same pressure hot or cold 

To be fair though, most people with Kadjars drive them so far within safe handling limits that those fairly small small pressure fluctuations are neither here nor there. I am one such! Got my first pressure warning this week in the morning cold but even then, it had only dropped by 2 or 3 psi in the 8 months since I bought it - partly due to the cold weather and parking it outside. I doubt if I'll need to top up the air again before the Springtime.

Of course, if I'd bought it in a heatwave the drop in a cold snap would have been greater - and always remember, air is made up of 78% nitrogen anyway and still expands and contracts in heat/cold.

19 hours ago, shedder101 said:

Hi all

had a peculiar dash warning this morning, Low Tyre Pressure.  I have had it before when a rear tyre showed low pressure it dropped to 1.9bar topped it up , the end.

today same warning popped up i thought it could be the rear again but no, both fronts showing 1.9bar when i last looked they were 2.3 N/S/R showing 2.0 O/S/F 2.2 where i left it a couple of months ago. i topped them all to the correct pressure, I will have to keep an eye on them, checked all the tyres for screws etc. 

has anyone else had sudden pressure drop

It's weird, it was Sunday morning for us, both my Kadjar and the wife's Clio did exactly the same,but it had suddenly dropped to -2C. I  also found that even when warmed up the warning was locked on.

Interestingly I think it's a sudden drop warning rather than an actual pressure indication, I keep our tyres at the max, probably at settings indicated for full load, they weren't under pressure.

()