Speed warnings on r link (Brian)
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Makes you wonder that in the event of an accident certain aspects of the R Link system can be downloaded/interrogated by the authorities to see how one has been driving.

Do we have a spy in our cars recording our every move??.

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Makes you wonder that in the event of an accident certain aspects of the R Link system can be downloaded/interrogated by the authorities to see how one has been driving.

Do we have a spy in our cars recording our every move??.

www.driving.co.uk/news/how-your-cars-gadgets-can-be-used-to-track-your-movements/

In today's digital world we all leave behind a digital footprint with our phones/gadgets & the more our cars become digitally active they have the ability to also leave a digital footprint, for example the integrated sat nav in your car is always recording its location (& how fast you are going) even if you are not using it...it's always there.

Laugh all you want, but commit a serious offence involving your "digital" vehicle & watch it later grass you up.....

As the data that it's got on board will not lie.:(

After a serious RTC Collision for example the police will download the info from the cars as modern vehicles will provide a digital snapshot as to how they have been driven.

29 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

www.driving.co.uk/news/how-your-cars-gadgets-can-be-used-to-track-your-movements/

In today's digital world we all leave behind a digital footprint with our phones/gadgets & the more that our cars become digitally active they all have the ability to also leave a digital footprint, for example the integrated sat nav in your car is always recording its location (& how fast you are going) even if you are not using it...it's always there.....Recording 

Laugh all you want, but commit a serious offence involving your "digital" vehicle & watch it later grass you up to the authorities after the event.....

As the data that it's got on board will not lie.:(

After a serious crime/RTC Collision for example the police will simply download the info from the cars quick access recorder, as all modern vehicles will provide a digital snapshot & history as to how they have been driven.....& where.

Another reason to be careful how you drive.

6 hours ago, BobLyn said:

Hi. Yes the front windscreen camera will pick up the road speed limit sign as soon as you come along side it. Displays on the r-link and on your dash speedo.😀

6 hours ago, BobLyn said:

Hi. Yes the front windscreen camera will pick up the road speed limit sign as soon as you come along side it. Displays on the r-link and on your dash speedo.😀

Hi,

my kadjar is a 2016 model and it doesn't show the speed limits. Can I reset the r link to show it?

16 hours ago, BobLyn said:

Hi conrad. Not quite sure if the 2016 model has the windscreen camera. If not the speed will be processed and shown on the r-link satnav which is already in its data Base (maps).

Mine is mid 2016 and it does see speed limits, however it rarely "tells" me about them ie, I've had it working correctly for about 3 x 2 week periods over the last year, have now given up on it.

As I understand it, the speed sign recognition can be turned on or off in user settings. Useful, if like me, the bloody "Bong" gets on your nerves sometimes. Where I mostly drive I already know the speed limits.

On 13/11/2017 at 0:22 PM, turboted10 said:

Mine is mid 2016 and it does see speed limits, however it rarely "tells" me about them ie, I've had it working correctly for about 3 x 2 week periods over the last year, have now given up on it.

Mine is June 16 model but I've only had it for a few weeks. Live in a very rural area of Scotland so I've been playing with all the automatic features like speed limit recognition & auto main beam/dip. Surprisingly both work well. But R-Link-I could lose the will to live-the maps are terrible & just go blank so no use at all. Wish I'd kept my old Tom Tom now

Have you tried changing your display layout in Settings.IIRC there is one option which doesn't offer speed limits

21 hours ago, Lollysmum said:

Mine is June 16 model but I've only had it for a few weeks. Live in a very rural area of Scotland so I've been playing with all the automatic features like speed limit recognition & auto main beam/dip. Surprisingly both work well. But R-Link-I could lose the will to live-the maps are terrible & just go blank so no use at all. Wish I'd kept my old Tom Tom now

Have you tried changing your display layout in Settings.IIRC there is one option which doesn't offer speed limits

Display etc has remained the same since I had the car so nothing changed. Strangely enough I sat in the car waiting at hospital a few days back. Reset sat nav, and main RLink 5 times each and now it works again, it won't for long.  I think the verbal warnings are supposed to work in any dash setting possibly the visuals don't.