17" winter tyres. Will never go back to 19"
3 3

27 posts in this topic

Just bought a set of wheels for the winter. Good Year Ultra Grip Performance SUV 215/60 R17. Went for 17" instead of the 19" the car was delivered with. What a difference! What a soft ride! I guess I'll never go back to 19" ;-) I even think the car looks better now... Probably some of you won't agree, so let's leave it at that. I'm happy, at least!

20171106_161856.jpg

20171104_114927_20171107185558114.jpg

20171106_162546-1.jpg

Sad. Car now looks like rice powah... I have 2 19"sets; winter and summer and there is no money to switch to 17"...

When I Will have wish for offroad then I will use 16" steel wheels with off-road tyres on it. Otherwise 19" all the way... I have an oppurtunity to test Kadyar with both tyres fixed (17" and19") and expirience was far better with 19". Also handling of car, stability, entry speed in curve... Even comodity was not significant better with 17" to weight on it side.

But this is mine subjective viewing and feeling.

19" wheels look better, give a slightly tighter cornering feel but, for me and anyone valuing comfort and the practicality of not worrying about kerbing wheels that are too large and low profile for a car that purports to be a 4x4 style vehicle then it has to be 17's.

All down to you and what you use the car for, there is no right answer as quite literally in this case one size does not fit all.

For winter tyres a narrower thread more easily finds it way through the slush to get a grip. Rally cars have really narrow tyres for snow rallies, albeit with lots of long spikes.

I have 17" rims in both the winter and summer tyres, and I believe the winter tyres are a bit more bouncy over the pot holes.

17 minutes ago, 1898 said:

For winter tyres a narrower thread more easily finds it way through the slush to get a grip. Rally cars have really narrow tyres for snow rallies, albeit with lots of long spikes.

I have 17" rims in both the winter and summer tyres, and I believe the winter tyres are a bit more bouncy over the pot holes.

What you say is quite correct but only goes part way. 

Winter tyres have a totally different tread to deal with both wetter weather and colder conditions. But it's the compound of the rubber that is as important as the tread pattern. Winter tyres sacrifice noise and comfort levels to achieve the wet grip required.

On 2017-11-08 at 10:57 AM, turboted10 said:

What you say is quite correct but only goes part way. 

Winter tyres have a totally different tread to deal with both wetter weather and colder conditions. But it's the compound of the rubber that is as important as the tread pattern. Winter tyres sacrifice noise and comfort levels to achieve the wet grip required.

And to take it even further:
Non-spiked winter tyres have considerably softer rubber than spiked tyres, to try to get a grip on the slipperiest surfaces.
Therefore the non-spiked tyres will show worse stability and handling on icefree paved roads, and also give a shorter useful life.

Often people have the impression that spikes give worse grip on dry tarmac, but tests in Finnland and Sweden have showns that non-spiked tyres have so very soft and unstable threads, that they in fact handle worse on dry roads.
And on black ice, spiked tyres have no competition at all from unspiked winter tyres.

Maybe most of you have no choise regarding this, but there are forum readers from many countries here, and some may have the possibility to chose spiked winter tyres.
The main drawback with spikes really is road noise.

Here in Lithuania we are allowed to use spiked tyres and many do. When I lived in Sweden, I used spiked winter tyres on a few cars. My experince was mixed. Up in the mountains and on very icy roads, there is no discussion. Spikes all the way. Also, if you MUST use your car everyday regardless of the weather, it might save your life (I especially remember one day, when the radio announced "We sometimes say - don't get on the road if you not necessarily must. Today we say - don't get on the road even if you must" ;-)  ). 

But most of the time, I drove on wet asphalt, which wears down the spikes (as well as the road) and you loose them, so there are hardly any left in the tyre, when you need them.

As I use the car now, I can let it stand on very icy days. My priority, when choosing tyres, was that they perform very well on wet asphalt and reasonably well on snow and ice, without doing too bad on dry asphalt.

15 hours ago, Karl said:

Here in Lithuania we are allowed to use spiked tyres and many do. When I lived in Sweden, I used spiked winter tyres on a few cars. My experince was mixed. Up in the mountains and on very icy roads, there is no discussion. Spikes all the way. Also, if you MUST use your car everyday regardless of the weather, it might save your life (I especially remember one day, when the radio announced "We sometimes say - don't get on the road if you not necessarily must. Today we say - don't get on the road even if you must" ;-)  ). 

But most of the time, I drove on wet asphalt, which wears down the spikes (as well as the road) and you loose them, so there are hardly any left in the tyre, when you need them.

As I use the car now, I can let it stand on very icy days. My priority, when choosing tyres, was that they perform very well on wet asphalt and reasonably well on snow and ice, without doing too bad on dry asphalt.

Exactly, there is always a compromise to be made. I too am in the position that if the weather is too bad the car and me stay at home, when I was on call many years back I fitted chains for the very few bad days we have in the uk.

18 hours ago, 1898 said:

And to take it even further:
Non-spiked winter tyres have considerably softer rubber than spiked tyres, to try to get a grip on the slipperiest surfaces.
Therefore the non-spiked tyres will show worse stability and handling on icefree paved roads, and also give a shorter useful life.

Often people have the impression that spikes give worse grip on dry tarmac, but tests in Finnland and Sweden have showns that non-spiked tyres have so very soft and unstable threads, that they in fact handle worse on dry roads.
And on black ice, spiked tyres have no competition at all from unspiked winter tyres.

Maybe most of you have no choise regarding this, but there are forum readers from many countries here, and some may have the possibility to chose spiked winter tyres.
The main drawback with spikes really is road noise.

Yes again it's as above, there is no perfect answer in changing weather conditions. My only concern is that many think winter tyres are simply chunkier treaded versions of normal tyres. 

In all honesty I have never seen or heard of anyone using spiked tyres here in the Uk, we just don't get the weather in general. Anyone in outlying areas is going to find that 4wd comes into the equation way before spikes.

Whatever happened to good old Mud and snow tyres, rock hard with tread like a JCB? They really were a valid option for the few bad days we have but absolutely to hard and uncomfortable for smooth tarmac

1 hour ago, turboted10 said:

Yes again it's as above, there is no perfect answer in changing weather conditions. My only concern is that many think winter tyres are simply chunkier treaded versions of normal tyres. 

In all honesty I have never seen or heard of anyone using spiked tyres here in the Uk, we just don't get the weather in general. Anyone in outlying areas is going to find that 4wd comes into the equation way before spikes.

Whatever happened to good old Mud and snow tyres, rock hard with tread like a JCB? They really were a valid option for the few bad days we have but absolutely to hard and uncomfortable for smooth tarmac

Once, living in Sweden, I was waiting in line to a car wash in Denmark. A young woman came up to me and asked "Are those spiked tyres? I've never seen such in my whole life. Can I touch them?" ;-)

1 hour ago, turboted10 said:

Anyone in outlying areas is going to find that 4wd comes into the equation way before spikes.

Insurance companies in Sweden have found that 4wd cars are involved in more accidents on icy roads than 2wd cars. With 4wd you don't feel the icy road, until the speed is way too high...

3 minutes ago, 1898 said:

Insurance companies in Sweden have found that 4wd cars are involved in more accidents on icy roads than 2wd cars. With 4wd you don't feel the icy road, until the speed is way too high...

I can understand that,  however the thing I tried to explain to my kids when each had an Audi Q5 was that yes, they do get better drive, but just remember they have no real advantage under braking which is where most new 4x4 drivers (of the Chelsea tractor type) come a cropper .

HI  YES that is very true  indeed could argue it takes LONGER to stop as 4x4 system is heavier ---so think momentum and all that  it must take longer to stop  also in case of kadjar fuel tank is bigger more weight again ;)   oh my god mine will never stop  :o   so, be careful out there  :rolleyes:

JC  B)

Other people say that heavier vehicles get better grip, and thus stops quicker.

Truth is that together the two variables; weight and the resulting friction force, give equal deceleration.

9 hours ago, J C said:

Hi So on that principle a 40 tonne semi should stop quicker than my kadjar not to sure about that myself🤔

JC 😎

What principle, the one I refered to as faulty, or the one I proposed as correct?

54 minutes ago, alan marriott said:

Would changing from 91 to 17 incn wheels alter the speedo reading  eg distance

No ...because the circumference of the wheel with non low profile tyres would be the same 

There's an argument for 17 inch wheels vs 19 inchers and given the option (which I didn't have) I would have chosen 17 inchers. But the 19 inch wheels are OK, albeit a bit noisier around town (you hear road noise at lower speeds than my previous small wheeled Scenic). Part of that may be a quieter engine or different soundproofing though - and the Kadjar is more stable. I have no problem with kerbing as i just drive more carefully when near or crossing them.

But winter tyres? Not here in coastal southern England - where snow is on the ground for half a day about twice a year on average and even then is only an issue if you live outside the towns!

Interesting how a year ago 90% were in favour of 19" rims.  If this topic is anything to go by, and I think it may well be, people that have lived with them are now seeing 19s as less desirable and are seeking out 17s. I too like many had no option for the optional 17s on my model, just wish I could have gone for them.

Interestingly, during my absence I went to Spain and had a BMW 218 Gran Tourer with 17” wheels on hire. I really and truly could not detect a difference in the ride comfort.  Also the “start/stop button is in the same place, the cup holders are small and unless the steering column is at its lowest setting the dash info display is obscured.  The I-Drive system is much clunkier and less intuitive than R-Link.