• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Potential 2017 Kadjar Advice
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

My first post here so brief introduction:

I drive BMW 320D M Sport and my wife Ford Fiesta - something... something... its blue and i would say that french cars would not be on in my top 3 choice of manufactures BUT we are planning to upgrade Fiesta to new crossover SUV and have budget to work with, i looked at Nissan QASHQAI and then stumbled on to Kadjar, i see its cheaper, looks better outside, longer body, according to reviews interior is good premium feel and longer warranty.

I am a bit confused if there 2017 new range or its still dragging on from 2015/6>? According to Car Wow Kadjar was featured in Geneva motor show this year, surely this will be new model?

Diesel not longer an option due to recent developments so smallest petrol engine with best possible MPG so we are looking at: Petrol TCe 130 Auto version in Signature S Nav or Signature Nav trims. Buying PCP, monthly budget of up to £300. I understand its not rocket but then wife won't care as long as it drives normal.

Any advice appreciated and how is Renault in terms of service and support? With our ownership, BMW have some ok dealers, then good ones and then there are excellent ones. Ford just ok, its a bit like walking into Costco, you will get what you pay for.

Key questions:

- How is the petrol auto version? Smooth enough?

- If anyone has panoramic roof, does that eat into headroom space a lot?

- Is the car quiet on motorway? a lot of tyre noise?

- How is the road ride quality with 19" alloys (dont want them but thats what you get on Signature)

- Would you have bought an alternative SUV if you could go back and why?

Thank you

We have a 66 plate Sig Nav tce 130 Auto.

Your car will have walk away locking and auto fold mirrors which ours doesn't.

You will also have a much improved R-Link infotainment system - look at the posts on here re R-Link for more info.

For us the pano roof doesn't cause a problem, I suppose it depends on the height of your rear seat passengers.

The auto box is smooth after you move above 1st gear - I cannot feel up or down shifts. Low speed manoeuvres take a bit of practice. I assume you know that the box is dry dual clutch device.

As far as Renault support is concerned - people on here have some horror stories mainly regarding the R-Link system. I believe Dealers suffer Renault rather than enjoy them.

Yes the 19" tyres can be harsh and noisy on some surfaces, but perhaps no more than others with a 45% aspect ratio.

Any more questions, please ask.

Paul.

3 hours ago, vadimo said:

Hello,

My first post here so brief introduction:

I drive BMW 320D M Sport and my wife Ford Fiesta - something... something... its blue and i would say that french cars would not be on in my top 3 choice of manufactures BUT we are planning to upgrade Fiesta to new crossover SUV and have budget to work with, i looked at Nissan QASHQAI and then stumbled on to Kadjar, i see its cheaper, looks better outside, longer body, according to reviews interior is good premium feel and longer warranty.

I am a bit confused if there 2017 new range or its still dragging on from 2015/6>? According to Car Wow Kadjar was featured in Geneva motor show this year, surely this will be new model?

Diesel not longer an option due to recent developments so smallest petrol engine with best possible MPG so we are looking at: Petrol TCe 130 Auto version in Signature S Nav or Signature Nav trims. Buying PCP, monthly budget of up to £300. I understand its not rocket but then wife won't care as long as it drives normal.

Any advice appreciated and how is Renault in terms of service and support? With our ownership, BMW have some ok dealers, then good ones and then there are excellent ones. Ford just ok, its a bit like walking into Costco, you will get what you pay for.

Key questions:

- How is the petrol auto version? Smooth enough?

- If anyone has panoramic roof, does that eat into headroom space a lot?

- Is the car quiet on motorway? a lot of tyre noise?

- How is the road ride quality with 19" alloys (dont want them but thats what you get on Signature)

- Would you have bought an alternative SUV if you could go back and why?

Thank you

We’ve had our 1.2 (manual) Kadjar for 2 months and think it’s great, it may be “not rocket” but a small petrol engine with turbo increases its revs rapidly, you get maximum torque at just 2,000 revs, and it feels fast [compared to a non-turbo engine] If the “Best possible mpg” is high on your list of priorities, then I’m not sure I would chose a 1.2 petrol Kadjar. Honest John’s website gives an insight into real mpg figures for cars: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg

The Renault Captur, which is slightly bigger than a Fiesta, but smaller than a Kadjar will save you money to buy, and on fuel costs. For something nearly Kadjar sized, the Honda HRV will possibly be dearer than the Kadjar [depends on spec of course] but will save you an awful lot on fuel – but is still fast enough to join a motorway via the slip-road safely. {I reckon a 0-62 mph of 11 seconds or less is needed for that} Until we bought the Kadjar, the mpg we got from every petrol-engine-car was about the same as the official “Urban” figure. With the Kadjar it’s ~ 10 mpg less – a big shock! We also got ~ 10 mpg less from our last car, a turbo-diesel, so now reckon it’s the Turbo that spoils the rule. Fortunately we don’t do a lot of miles!

Since May this year, we have a Kadjar TCe130 EDC (Petrol, automatic) Night & Day edition - (most of the stuff excluding panorama roof, back camera and Bose sound, but including 19 inch wheels, full leather, 360 degrees parking sensors, lane depart warning, speed sign recognition, heated front window, walk away lock, auto folding mirrors, led lights).

We hesitated a lot about the allegedly "weak" engine, since we had no chance to test drive it, but I am very pleased with it. It accelerates good enough, changes gears very smoothly and has the extra benefit of manual shifting, which is excellent going up or down steep mountains. 

Very pleased with everything except the catastrophic R-link2-system. But if you buy a new car built after May 17, you should get a much improved version.

Also I would not have choosen the 19 inch wheels (bumpy and expensive once they should be replaced), but there was no choice on this version.

I am rather tall (187 centimeters, whatever that might be in feet and inches ;-) ) and I sit very, very comfortably in the Kadjar (as opposed to the Quashqai). Also, the legroom in the back seat is quite adequate. 

Fuel economy ok, even if not fantastic. See enclosed (sorry it's in liters per 100 kilometers). Haven't used the Eco mode.

The stop-start system works perfect.

All in all a very nice car so far.

20171030_122927.jpg

many comments here, appreciate.

1. I agree on the 19" alloys with @Wife'sKdj it will always cause discomfort on many cars but reasons i asked is if by any chance there is something that Renault done to the suspension a some manufactures do but its more typically with premium cars/models.

2. I dont really want to go for smaller than Kadjar as @Johnbridge suggested, i might as well get a Hatchback i.e. ford focus.

3. Thanks to everyone for the MPG reality check, i guess its always less than what is on paper.

4. Appreciate honest assessment on Renault service, no offence to anyone but only reasons i am considering this french car is because of the price point and goodies you get, if i was looking to purchase to own a vehicle then it will be German made. I will take note of whats been said here as its no good having PCP on car that could be regularly travelling to the dealer.

5. Does R-Link allow screen mirroring of the phone, so i can project google maps or is it just wireless file sharing crap? I just googled Renault videos and website information but its all crap and doesn't really convey very well its key features. 

I have test drive with Renault this Saturday and same day the new Nissan QASHQAI. I will also check Ford Kuga and see if its too big for my wife.

The other factor will help to decide is the lead times, Renault told me none stock order will result in March 2018 delivery, the new QASHQAI on another hand is an impressive 4 weeks lead time, because its made in UK Sunderland.

Just took my car for firmware up date no surprises error message kept coming so no update. I am aware of wind noise when motorway driving and brought this to the attention of the dealership. They checked it with road test and checked the seals and everything okay. Found out only went on local roads so not a proper test. 

"5. Does R-Link allow screen mirroring of the phone, so i can project google maps or is it just wireless file sharing crap? I just googled Renault videos and website information but its all crap and doesn't really convey very well its key features. "

Yes, you can mirror for example Google maps on the R-link screen on Kadjars built after May 2017. So if you buy a stock car, be sure to check manufacture date. A pre- May R-link is bound to drive you crazy due to many things, where completely outdated maps are the worst concern.

thanks @Karl we will ensure that we get fresh one.

question to those who have diesel dci 110 auto how is refinement? for example my 320d sounds like a pig when idling.

Is the noise audible outside and inside?

Does the noise go away when it's picking up speed?

I noticed you get more power with petrol bit more torque with diesel I guess that's normal.

Some reviews stated to go for 1.5 diesel as opposed to 1.6 as it's smoother. But that suits me as they only do 1.5 in auto

so we have driven New Kadjar 1.2 TCE Signature S Nav 5dr EDC - well its no rocket but steady ride, i found despite 19" alloys car was comfortable on the road.

If we got for it it will be petrol, thanks to diesel responses!

Quick question, do the parking sensors work accurately?

I didnt notice but can you adjust heated seats heat from low and high ?

Parking sensor react with a little bit of delay. If you get used to it it's OK, but is quite scary at the beginning.

The heated seats have two positions (max/mid/off). Buttons under armrest, so it's not quite convenient to check'em.

To the answer from Aone above, I would only add that the heating in the seats is very effecient. Regarding the parking sensors, I don't experience any delay. We have 360 degree sensors, and I rather think they are a bit "over sensitive". But I guess that is better than the opposite.

3 hours ago, 1898 said:

My sensors are slow. Sometimes they don't react before I stop, and then suddenly they might show as close as red. The rear cam however is a blessing, unless the bright sun shines directly into it.

With leather (vinyl really) seats, the heat is not very fast, but it gets there after a while, and you don't want unheated vinyl seats, I can tell you that much!

I downloaded a brochure on 13 Jul 2017 [UK], and it says that the Signature S Nav upholstery is "Black leather with synthetic leather central rear headrest" That's the model that comes with heated front seats and electrically adjustable driver's seat too.

Just to add a few things. My parking sensors are very accurate but slow. If I edge up towards an obstacle then stop briefly  when a couple of feet away, they soon catch up and then I can accurately edge as close as 6 to 12 inches away and haven't touched anything yet. They flare slightly sideways too, which helps when driving slowly through narrow gaps too, e.g. in a multi-storey or supermarket car park.

Petrol consumption around town in the 1.2 TCE petrol turbo is appalling, I get 30mpg with no effort and 33 when driving like the proverbial granny, 31-32 is typical. Can't speak for the auto though. 38-40 is more typical on motorways etc., very similar to my previous 1.6 non-turbo Scenic.

If fuel consumption isn't a problem, there is now a manual 1.6 turbo petrol version  - don't know if that's available as an auto though.

Overall, it's a surprisingly refined car for its type IMO and although I too would have had smaller wheels had they been an option on the Sig Nav, I soon got used to the 19 inchers and find road noise and ride is fine, and the music system is clear even at high motorway speeds - you can speak to passengers easily too, unlike some cars I have had in the past.

My experience with the 1.2 Turbo on 19" wheels is exactly the same as Dave's. Low thirties which increases five or six mpg on motorways etc. I've accepted that it's not going to improve and just enjoy the drive. Eco driving is a pain in the proverbial and I'm not going to start now after over fifty year's behind the wheel. Still of the opinion that it's a great car to drive.

after looking around I got some cracking deals on the car but now decided to pre order most likely Skoda Karoq - it's top trim has electric opening sunroof with many other goodies including stronger auto petrol 1.5 litre 7 gear dsg with reasonable mpg. I also got good deal and for the money it's a great car.

I noticed after my research there are not so many petrol second hand SUVs that are young with low mileage, but many diesels which is shame as I would happily purchased near new or young petrol auto. I expect in the next 3 years these petrol ones will be even more popular due to diesel facing downturn and lack of electrical charging infrastructure which will take time to pick up.

Thanks for your help