• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Your favourite and worst bit of the Kadjar( excluding RLink)
3 3

41 posts in this topic

I was going to do this in 2 posts but it would have got all mixed up anyway. Which is why I switched this as complaints come first.

The most annoying bit for me, is the archaic fuel filling system inherited from Nissan. Owners of post 2002 meganes etc have got used to hitting the button, the flap flipping open then filling the tank by inserting the hose through the auto closing flap. No unscrewing the cap and finding it's parking place, just fill up.

So, the best bit, the way it looks, Renault haven't ignored practicality, but they have demoted it down the line in favour of style. With better ground clearance and more protective tyres for the big wheeled version it would be superb

As a very new owner (picked car up 3 weeks ago and have done 1500 miles) I must agree with you about the fuelling system. Every time I have put fuel in I find myself standing by the flap trying to open it then remembering I haven’t pulled the little flappy thing inside! Then takes what seems like ages to unscrew the very cheap feeling filler cap!

However that is so far the only minor annoyance compared to so many positives. The looks (in glorious red), the way it drives, the pano roof, flawless keyless entry and exit and dare I say it the so far faultless performance of Rlink and Apple CarPlay have really made it a pleasure to get in and drive. Long may it continue😁

I have my Kadjar since May and I really love most things about the car. We recently made a longer road trip over three weeks and what I especially fell in love with was the automatic gear box. It's quick. It's smooth. It's economical. It's trouble free. And it's possible to change to manual shifting, going down (or up) mountains. 

What I dislike? Apart from the ancient maps and the bad performance of the R-link2 -not much. Perhaps that you can't wipe away raindrops from the side windows, by opening and closing them. Irritating. And that you must remember to put the windscreen wipers in a special position, before having the car washed.

Whats my worst bit of the Kadjar, well there could be a bit of a list coming, but no my worst thing is the bloody windows don't clear the morning dew when you open and close the windows.

on the flip side, my favorite bit was a toss up of the r-link and the one that won. before you call me mad the r-link is the item i mess with the most on the car, it keeps me interested thinking i can get it right . but the winner is, the cars handling when  you start to push it through the twisty bits, when i am on my own,  use the manual selection on the auto box and play the box is slow and doesn't want to do half what you want but it still gives enough to put a smile on my face 

3 hours ago, Karl said:

that you can't wipe away raindrops from the side windows, by opening and closing them. Irritating.

2 hours ago, shedder101 said:

worst thing is the bloody windows don't clear the morning dew when you open and close the windows.

Totally agree with You both!

3 hours ago, Karl said:

must remember to put the windscreen wipers in a special position, before having the car washed.

Why? May be I don't understand because of I have used only manual wash so far (since March). No topless, though :D

50 minutes ago, Arthur_Kono said:

Totally agree with You both!

Why? May be I don't understand because of I have used only manual wash so far (since March). No topless, though :D

About the windscreen wipers. There is a separate thread on this, including photos of what might happen. And it is before manual washing (by someone else than yourself) that it is important to put the wipers "standing up". How to do it is explained in the manual. The far down position on the regulator. If you forget this, and someone just lifts the wipers up, they will scratch away some paint from the hood.

The bad part is all the things missing from my Scenic (impulse buttons on all windows, two clicks closing all, button for lock and unlock on all 5 doors and etc.). I also hate the filling cap and screw. I realy dislike, that everything in the interiror looks cheap and "chinese". 

What I like is the R-link (sorry guys, mine is v3 firmware and beside the usual lag it's flowless), the extemely accurate auto high beam and line crossing. I also love the handling. Travel alot in Austria's secondary mountain roads and the handling in wet tight corners is extremely good (the speed limits here are higher than the rest of Europe). I also realy enjoy the retractable towing bar - smart made accessory.

Well I agree with all, I could have listed every 1 but wanted to see what others thought.

My own summary would be that they have taken a proven chassis, it is about 10 years old now, added great already proven diesel engines. What they haven't done is carry over enough of the nice touches that any previous Renault owner has come to expect. Ship for a ha'porth of tar type of thing.

RLink, at least on older cars, is just something you have to live with, doesn't stop it being dam annoying at times tho'

I think that's a fair assessment , Ted . The 1.5Dci is an excellent engine borne out by the fact that I previously owned 2 Scenics with that engine . As I've always said , it's a beautiful car and lovely to drive ( though getting far too common for my liking now :D ) . And yes , I could live with the R Link bugs 

In my opinion the worst bit of the Kadjar was Renault itself . After a year of ownership , I'd had enough of their BS and ineptitude or downright lies . 

14 hours ago, Karl said:

About the windscreen wipers. There is a separate thread on this, including photos of what might happen. And it is before manual washing (by someone else than yourself) that it is important to put the wipers "standing up". How to do it is explained in the manual. The far down position on the regulator. If you forget this, and someone just lifts the wipers up, they will scratch away some paint from the hood.

Hi there can someone direct me to the thread about parking wipers in suitable place for washing

as I can not quite find it many thanks..........

With the ignition on and the engine off,
lower the windscreen wiper stalk fully
(fast continuous wipe position). The
wiper arms stop in a position away from
the bonnet.
To return the blades to position, make
sure they have been placed on the
windscreen, then move the stalk to position
B (stop) with the ignition on.
Before switching on the ignition,
place the wipers on the windscreen.
Otherwise, there may a risk of damage
to the bonnet 

9 minutes ago, ulfire said:

the bonnet.
to the bonnet 

Helpful as always, I can never remember it myself, but since my car will never be washed apart from at the dealers on an annual basis, I really don't care. Just to add, hitting the start button without foot on pedal gives the ignition on/engine off mode. 

Given that anyone not knowing this is going to chip the bonnet, there really should be a stronger warning from Renault.

If there is 1 thing that can ruin a new car it is definitely mediocre performance from the dealer, if that falls to pathetic service level then, you will hate the car come what may

1 hour ago, ulfire said:

the bonnet.
to the bonnet 

Hi there many thanks Ulfire and turboted10 for your input 

Regards 

14 hours ago, turboted10 said:

Given that anyone not knowing this is going to chip the bonnet, there really should be a stronger warning from Renault.

If there is 1 thing that can ruin a new car it is definitely mediocre performance from the dealer, if that falls to pathetic service level then, you will hate the car come what may

My dealer's demonstrator was chipped from the wiper blade - when I pointed it out to them, they were gobsmacked!  :lol:

Needless to say, I triple checked my new car on delivery for this!

Likes: Petrol power (I like gear changing!); auto headlights; seat and ride height; Handling and ride comfort (even with big wheels); fast clearance of mist inside windows; climate control.

Dislikes: poor rear visibility; poor fuel consumption; wiper issue as above; non-clearance of rain from outside windows; central console cup holder position.

15 hours ago, Dave4774 said:

My dealer's demonstrator was chipped from the wiper blade - when I pointed it out to them, they were gobsmacked!  :lol:

Needless to say, I triple checked my new car on delivery for this!

Likes: Petrol power (I like gear changing!); auto headlights; seat and ride height; Handling and ride comfort (even with big wheels); fast clearance of mist inside windows; climate control.

Dislikes: poor rear visibility; poor fuel consumption; wiper issue as above; non-clearance of rain from outside windows; central console cup holder position.

There was a recent post about what you would buy tomorrow if you had to replace the Kadjar for whatever reason. Given the cagey is now 2 years old maybe at 4, when my car gets changed, there will be a facelift and all the niggles sorted. I would buy again if that was the case

On 26/10/2017 at 5:20 PM, turboted10 said:

There was a recent post about what you would buy tomorrow if you had to replace the Kadjar for whatever reason. Given the cagey is now 2 years old maybe at 4, when my car gets changed, there will be a facelift and all the niggles sorted. I would buy again if that was the case

I'd be sorely tempted to buy the 1.6 turbo petrol version next - after facelift, niggles and all. Yes even poorer fuel consumption but I suspect I wouldn't be able to resist!

According to Buder in another thread the facelifted/updated Kadjar II is due in 2018. If that is the case and if a lot of the niggles with Kadjar I have been addressed, then yes, I'd seriously consider another one. Before handing over any cash I would have to have a complete list of what I expect in writing signed by Dealer.

14 hours ago, PatWar said:

According to Buder in another thread the facelifted/updated Kadjar II is due in 2018. If that is the case and if a lot of the niggles with Kadjar I have been addressed, then yes, I'd seriously consider another one. Before handing over any cash I would have to have a complete list of what I expect in writing signed by Dealer.

Yes, I was thinking that by then given the way the improvements, (things it should have had/had working from day 1), are being added in dribs and drabs. Still haven't ruled out another myself, but I too would need to go over the thing with the fine tooth comb and would want a longer test drive than the 10 mins they gave me last time.

Top tip, for anybody  going for a mobility car, take the test drive without mentioning that fact, ie, as a private buyer, you do get treated better.

17 hours ago, PatWar said:

the facelifted/updated Kadjar II is due in 2018. If that is the case and if a lot of the niggles with Kadjar I have been addressed, then yes, I'd seriously consider another one. Before handing over any cash I would have to have a complete list of what I expect in writing signed by Dealer.

Maybe with the new hybrid engine?

1 hour ago, Buder said:

That would be nice , with a few reservations . When I looked at the specs of the proposed hybrid Scenic , apparently it wasn't capable of running in electric only mode i.e. it was only hybrid assist . 

If the same applies to future Kadjars it would be as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit :)

2 hours ago, Buder said:

I would be really chuffed if that was the case, I just thought it to much to expect as my expectations from Renault have been somewhat diminished with the shortcomings of the early Kadjar

1 hour ago, ulfire said:

That would be nice , with a few reservations . When I looked at the specs of the proposed hybrid Scenic , apparently it wasn't capable of running in electric only mode i.e. it was only hybrid assist . 

If the same applies to future Kadjars it would be as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit :)

If that's as per the Prius, ie, electric bat pack at low speed only, I would be fine with that. As you can probably read I know little about hybrids but accept times they are a changin'.

However, my mate has a Prius as a no choice company car, he bought and kept his previous 2.2 litre Diesel Rav4, the Toyota is the most economical of the 2 and he is 1 of the smoothest/sensible drivers I know