• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Split leather on drivers seat
3 3

13 posts in this topic

I have a 16 plate Kadjar and have owned it for 11 months but I noticed today that the leather on the drivers seat near the door is beginning to split.

Is this something that can be covered under warranty as the car is only 18 months old and has done around 16,000 miles? For a car so young I am not sure I should have to foot the bill for this. 

Has anyone else had this problem and had it rectified under warranty?

Thanks

Unless it’s a signature s with full leather, ie half leather, I think you’re going to be disappointed to find it isn’t leather but synthetic.

However I had exactly the same issue with my Megane, took it back to the dealer, think I had about 36k on the clock 2 years old.  They did put up little fight but in the end had to give in.  Apparently it was the way I got in, my argument was I would be getting in and out the same whether I traveled 5 miles or 50 miles to work a day.  Plus I said I had a 20 year old mg that hadn’t give in.

I would definitely take it back and get them to replace it under warranty, after all you would expect a £20k plus car to last a while longer.

Also check the sponge base make sure it’s not deteriorating.

18 minutes ago, darenh said:

Unless it’s a signature s with full leather, ie half leather, I think you’re going to be disappointed to find it isn’t leather but synthetic.

However I had exactly the same issue with my Megane, took it back to the dealer, think I had about 36k on the clock 2 years old.  They did put up little fight but in the end had to give in.  Apparently it was the way I got in, my argument was I would be getting in and out the same whether I traveled 5 miles or 50 miles to work a day.  Plus I said I had a 20 year old mg that hadn’t give in.

I would definitely take it back and get them to replace it under warranty, after all you would expect a £20k plus car to last a while longer.

Also check the sponge base make sure it’s not deteriorating.

Thanks for the reply. I knew it wasn't leather, just wasn't sure what it actually was! lol.

I agree, though a car that costs as much as it does and with very little mileage and age should not have cracking or splitting on the interior.

Can I ask, does it matter which dealer I go to? I have one just a mile down the road but that isn't where I bought it from. Is it ok to book it in there?

I had a similar issue with the synthetic leather on the steeering wheel on my 66 plate. (11 months/17.5 K miles) 

I asked for it to be looked at the 18K service and the steering wheel is being replaced under warranty this week.

1 minute ago, Choro1dal said:

I had a similar issue with the synthetic leather on the steeering wheel on my 66 plate. (11 months/17.5 K miles) 

I asked for it to be looked at the 18K service and the steering wheel is being replaced under warranty this week.

That is very reassuring. I am keen to get this done before it goes too far

On 15/10/2017 at 6:19 PM, bretty1984 said:

I have a 16 plate Kadjar and have owned it for 11 months but I noticed today that the leather on the drivers seat near the door is beginning to split.

Is this something that can be covered under warranty as the car is only 18 months old and has done around 16,000 miles? For a car so young I am not sure I should have to foot the bill for this. 

Has anyone else had this problem and had it rectified under warranty?

Thanks

I also have this problem, i just noticed it yesterday, i have the s nav bose edition and paid extra for the leather seats. So along with this, the headlights misting up and staining the inside of the fitting, reversing camera working when it wants to and sensors having a lag my second service next month will be fun! The car has only done 13500 miles! Hopefully you can see some pics attached.

BB43C1E3-C01F-4B8E-80B9-9800040CA762.jpeg

E5CD9370-71EE-4F34-8FC5-D344C0ACA750.jpeg

285E8F30-2FA1-437A-AAA3-E6363F846D1E.jpeg

9 hours ago, turboted10 said:

Is that actual leather? or to quote from sister Co Nissan "All leather seats in Tekna + versions have some panels in faux leather".

Never seem leather show wear like that, cracks normally follow the natural grain ie irregular.  I'd say that bit is plastic or it's been nicked by a sharp edge

I paid a lot of extra money for leather seats so if there not leather side panels I will be asking questions! When I sit on the seat it’s split on the exact crease.  I don’t see how anything sharp could of ever split it... I’m furious with certain parts of the Kadjar in terms of quality. If the things I’ve listed are not covered under warranty I may actually do my own Kadjar YouTube review on my personal experiences with the Kadjar. Such a shame as it’s a lovely looking car. 

Same thing happened in my previous Scenic... Sits were made from leather while side panels from vinil... I have to repair them, fortunatly my neighbor do this and paid only 60EUR for material and labour

1 hour ago, AOne said:

The same happened to my shifting lever. No cut, just two straight cracks. Replaced under warranty.

Thanks for that 🙂 hopefully mine will be also. I can stop worrying about it for now. I will let you know how I get on. Cheers 

I knew it's not leather even before I purchased the car. But it's a known problem of this artificial leather cracking. All of my friends have already replaced some part of the "leather" interior at least once.

On 25/05/2018 at 7:45 AM, janeyandpaul said:

I also have this problem, i just noticed it yesterday, i have the s nav bose edition and paid extra for the leather seats. So along with this, the headlights misting up and staining the inside of the fitting, reversing camera working when it wants to and sensors having a lag my second service next month will be fun! The car has only done 13500 miles! Hopefully you can see some pics attached.

BB43C1E3-C01F-4B8E-80B9-9800040CA762.jpeg

E5CD9370-71EE-4F34-8FC5-D344C0ACA750.jpeg

285E8F30-2FA1-437A-AAA3-E6363F846D1E.jpeg

Hi Folks, update so far. My car went for its second service yesterday and to be fair to Renault they are going to replace the leather seat cover, apparently the sides are reinforced leather. I still think it’s vinyl... either way they have ordered the parts.

They are replacing both headlights. They say this is a first and they’ve ever seen this, I get the impression that people are just accepting it as the norm and not reporting the misting/staining of the lense. They did say that the headlights need to be ventilated as they get hot... do LEDs really get hot? I’m not too concerned as they are replacing the lights 🙂

The reversing camera is being replaced as it flickers after driving in the rain.

prior to taking it for a service I did photograph and document all the faults and emailed them to the dealer including Renault UK who called me back to discuss the issues, they also contacted the dealer prior to the car going in making them aware of the issues. The seat cover is on back order so I imagine it could take several weeks for that to arrive. 

All in all so far so good! 🙂