Split leather on drivers seat
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I have a 16 plate Kadjar and have owned it for 11 months but I noticed today that the leather on the drivers seat near the door is beginning to split.

Is this something that can be covered under warranty as the car is only 18 months old and has done around 16,000 miles? For a car so young I am not sure I should have to foot the bill for this. 

Has anyone else had this problem and had it rectified under warranty?

Thanks

Unless it’s a signature s with full leather, ie half leather, I think you’re going to be disappointed to find it isn’t leather but synthetic.

However I had exactly the same issue with my Megane, took it back to the dealer, think I had about 36k on the clock 2 years old.  They did put up little fight but in the end had to give in.  Apparently it was the way I got in, my argument was I would be getting in and out the same whether I traveled 5 miles or 50 miles to work a day.  Plus I said I had a 20 year old mg that hadn’t give in.

I would definitely take it back and get them to replace it under warranty, after all you would expect a £20k plus car to last a while longer.

Also check the sponge base make sure it’s not deteriorating.

18 minutes ago, darenh said:

Unless it’s a signature s with full leather, ie half leather, I think you’re going to be disappointed to find it isn’t leather but synthetic.

However I had exactly the same issue with my Megane, took it back to the dealer, think I had about 36k on the clock 2 years old.  They did put up little fight but in the end had to give in.  Apparently it was the way I got in, my argument was I would be getting in and out the same whether I traveled 5 miles or 50 miles to work a day.  Plus I said I had a 20 year old mg that hadn’t give in.

I would definitely take it back and get them to replace it under warranty, after all you would expect a £20k plus car to last a while longer.

Also check the sponge base make sure it’s not deteriorating.

Thanks for the reply. I knew it wasn't leather, just wasn't sure what it actually was! lol.

I agree, though a car that costs as much as it does and with very little mileage and age should not have cracking or splitting on the interior.

Can I ask, does it matter which dealer I go to? I have one just a mile down the road but that isn't where I bought it from. Is it ok to book it in there?

I had a similar issue with the synthetic leather on the steeering wheel on my 66 plate. (11 months/17.5 K miles) 

I asked for it to be looked at the 18K service and the steering wheel is being replaced under warranty this week.

1 minute ago, Choro1dal said:

I had a similar issue with the synthetic leather on the steeering wheel on my 66 plate. (11 months/17.5 K miles) 

I asked for it to be looked at the 18K service and the steering wheel is being replaced under warranty this week.

That is very reassuring. I am keen to get this done before it goes too far

I had the issue with my Megane as Daren did, it was done under warranty after a few well chosen words. As Above don't get hung up on which dealer to take it back to, they like warranty repairs it's simply a fixed rate recharge to Renault. Only issue comes when they try to tell you it's not covered simply because the unscrupulous want to charge you not the manf as there's more profit in that.