Servicing question
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi all

I took delivery of my new 1.2 petrol auto kadjar a little over 8 weeks ago and despite Renaults assertion of 1800  or 12 months service interval I decided to have a simple oil and filter change ( I'm an old fashioned kinda guy) along with mudlflaps fitted front and rear so all seemed simple enough. Due to previous cock- ups over my Dacia service I had a £50 reduction applied to the total bill. The cost for the flaps was as per Renaults quote. However the" service " cost was allegedly 120 plus fluids, filter, sealing washer and VAT I.e it should have cost £197 ! that seems rather steep just wondered what others though especially as they only had the vehicle for 1.5 hours to do both jobs.

More concerning however, is the way I think they may have changed the oil filter. I assumed its at the front of the engine and they would take the belly pan off, drain through the drain plug ( as they charged me for a new washer) However there is no sign they removed the pan, and it looks as though they may have removed the turbo hose after the intercooler and got to it that way and probably siphoned the oil out as the top hose to the radiator appeared to have lost its support and there are signs that the bottom connection to the intercooler has been disturbed possibly even damaged.

Once again others views would be welcomed is what I have suggested plausible? Is the oil filter at the front of the engine? Is there a drain plug? Can it be accessed and the filter changed  without removing the belly pan? ( underside engine protector) and to cap it all they used Mobil fully synth 5w40 which I guess/ hope is OK but I was surprised as main stealers they didn't use ELF.

Thanks in advance Mark

If I remember rightly it should be fixed price servicing £90 ish for a kick and a wipe around, then it’s £130 ish for the oil change 18k, as far as I’m concerned it’s all inclusive and they should use manufactures recommended oil not some substitute.

i have a diesel so can’t comment where the filter is, in the 1.5 it is at the front, and there is a sump plug.

i suspect that it is nessacary to remove the pan to do this task, I’ve heard of a few not been put on correctly, dropping off and getting bent.

As far as the alleged damage I would be fuming, there’s no need to go to all that when a few bolts and clips the pan will drop, especially in a workshop environment. 

hi, the filter is at the front , easy to get at ,and siphone the oil out is the easiest way I do it on all the cars I have, also Mobil fully synth  is a great oil, watch the tube vid of the merc  with 1million k on it.  (Mercedes Million Kilometer Test) , I do use the elf oil but there are many great oils today and I will change mine as always at about  every 6 months, so easy to do, use a top name oil i.e. shell, mobile, amsoil,elf, and so on, use the right spec

• ACEA C4
  • Renault RN0720

big names can't afford to make crap oil thay have a reputation to keep. hope it helps

On 02/10/2017 at 10:53 PM, darenh said:

If I remember rightly it should be fixed price servicing £90 ish for a kick and a wipe around, then it’s £130 ish for the oil change 18k, as far as I’m concerned it’s all inclusive and they should use manufactures recommended oil not some substitute.

i have a diesel so can’t comment where the filter is, in the 1.5 it is at the front, and there is a sump plug.

i suspect that it is nessacary to remove the pan to do this task, I’ve heard of a few not been put on correctly, dropping off and getting bent.

As far as the alleged damage I would be fuming, there’s no need to go to all that when a few bolts and clips the pan will drop, especially in a workshop environment. 

For diesel owners and possibly petrol.

I have had numerous cars with the 1.5 dci engine, some with belly pan and some not. The Kadjar is leased but our 65 plte Clio is ours. I have done what I have done to all the cars we've had. Before taking of the belly cover for the 1st time, paint a white mark at centre rear and mid side point of the plastic, carrying the mark over onto the steel chassis. With plastic shield removed measure from each paint mark to the sump plug on the engine. Transfer these measurements to the plastic shield and cut a 2" dia hole in the plastic. Use a closed rubber grommet (ebay) to keep things smooth and aerodynamic.

You then never have to take off the belly pan to remove the sump plug, filter is changed from above. It makes an hours job easy in 15 mins.