• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Satnav map routing failure
3 3

17 posts in this topic

I have just had a good example of how bad the Kadjar satnav mapping system can be. I was going on holiday and needed to go via Dorchester in Dorset. I thought that I would give the satnav a chance to show it at its best. The system told me there were traffic problems ahead and promptly found a reroute. I followed the instructions diligently and ended up in a cul-de-sac which the map showed as a through road in the town. On turning around the system provided a second reroute which took me back on the road to Yeovil where I had just travelled from. A third reroute option then asked me to turn down a farm track into a field where no road had ever existed. At that point I turned off the satnav completely. Needless to say the compass in my brain was far superior at getting to my destination than the rubbish maps and mapping software that Renault have provided and refuse to upgrade.

I have mine set to "only suggest alternative roads, if I expect to save more than 40 minutes". At home, it's no big problem, because I follow my experience and gut feeling. But during a two week road trip on unknown European roads

in Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic and Germany, I really tested it out. The result - it is garbage, absolute garbage. Took us on never ending small cow tracks, wanted to send us through parts of Belarus (which would require a visa), when we were in northern Poland. I could go on for an hour. Turned off the derouting and drove straight into the "problem areas", that often turned ut to be minor roadworks that slowed us down a minute or two.

But since the maps are more than two years old, not even the "basic" navigation is reliable. In the end, we had to use google maps to get up-to-date maps. Then follow the vocal instructions without seeing the map. How I wished I could have mirrored it on my R-link2 ;-) Or that I had brought my old TomTom.

I am now strongly considering buying a new TomTom with "lifetime" update of maps. My wife says, we just bought a car with a navi that turned out to be useless - certainly they will exchange the head unit to a functioning one under guarantee. Yes, she has blue eyes....

So far for me the mapping system in the Kadjar has been acceptable, it mostly works well and I tend to avoid most of the reroute nags because they are mostly old news. On yet another trip to Carlisle the motorway was shut just before I should have left it because of an accident - the motorway signs warned me well in advance and to be fair I got the Rlink-2 to find an alternative route a few junctions prior and it navigated me to my destination via some lovely country lanes - dashcam footage on YouTube below

I'm also very pleased with the RLink. From mid June up to now 11k km (6.84k miles) in all the central and east Europe - guides me perfectly. Always use it on daily basis. Almost every day - new place. I believe the problem with you guys is the UK map, not the unit iself

Sorry guys, but I really like the RLink2. I had Infotainment on my 2008 Scenic and it was doing perfect job too. The only thing it needs improvement is the lag. The CPU is obviously too slow. I'm using the navigation all the time, even on short known routes. Maybe the problem is only with the first and second releases of the hardware. On my car it works flawlessly (post May 17 version).

Aone. I'm happy to hear, that they have solved the R-link2 problems on what might be called the 3.0 version (production from May17). It gives some kind of weak hope for us with previous versions too. Turboted10 is right -I bought my car a few months ago (May 2017) from the dealer's stock. It is produced in October 2016. And although the car itself is fantastic, I am very displeased because of the R-link2. Apart from all the problems with outdated maps, bad navigation software, speed-cameras "hanging" ("reduce your speed" repeated every tenth second for half an hour), speed limits sometimes converted to what must be miles ("speed camera - current limit 76 km/hour", even the FM radio reception is so much worse, compared to our 9 years old Ford C-max. Not to mention, that radio text (song titles) is not functioning on most stations.

Thinking of it, makes me believe, there might be something with the UK version of the unit. There must be a difference with the European version cause I ain't heard of units with DAB radio but the UK ones...

My car is delivered in Lithuania - and has the "faulty" R-link2. So it's not only UK cars. My car doesn't have DAB. Neither does some cars delivered in Poland. But those sold in countries like Germany and Sweden all have dab.

I have an Elm327 wi-fi, that I recently bought from China. Haven't tested it yet. I don't really see myself connecting it to Windows (or even less so any Linux software), but rather use one of the many Android-apps available. But maybe they won't reflect these settings?