First wash of Kadjar 4x4
1 1

20 posts in this topic

New car looking good today after first wash. Didn't really need a wash but I wanted to check over the paintwork and washing was the easiest way.

Pleased with result but a few wee scratches will need attention. I must say that I think the blue looks very smart. I might have a different view after it has been down a muddy road or two!

20170723_161142.jpg

20170723_155903.jpg

It does indeed look smart but I would say that, I have the same colour. It sometimes has a purple glint, depending on the light. One question though, why four wheel drive? Just curious.

Thanks for that. I thought you were going to mention the weather. In the seventies I worked in Elgin and lived in Forres and the commute in winter by road was something else. I could have done with 4WD some days - very bleak.

I have the blue, looks great when clean but really attracts the dust and dirt, it is almost iridescent at times!!

Looks decent covered in cow - 4wd also here, had it off road a couple of times and decent rake angle on hills and good grip even on road tyres, set of winters coming in October I think

On 23/07/2017 at 7:52 PM, Melville said:

I do a lot of river fishing which takes me down some very rough tracks and sometimes crossing wet grass fields. The 4x4 comes in handy for situations such as these.

I pondered the 4wd version as I do the same. Economics kicked in tho' . Our landowner farmer/riparian owner only charges a fiver for a tow off, £10 if up to the axles when he needs the tractor rather than the land rover.

Better than -10mpg all year round;);)

5 minutes ago, Melville said:

Depends on how many times you get stuck. 4wd is also handy on snow and wet. I am willing to give up the mpg for a bit of extra safety. Each to their own.

We no longer get snow down here, and I'm a northener, ;). I do look at this every time I change my car, conditions are softening, guess I am too, ;)

Snow is infrequent here in Moray although a few years ago we had 90 days of lying snow. I have had 4x4 in my last 3 vehicles so I suppose that I am used to it. Mpg on the Kadjar in first 400 miles is over 51 which is way better than anything I have had before I.e Freelander, Rav4, and ix 35.

16 hours ago, Melville said:

Snow is infrequent here in Moray although a few years ago we had 90 days of lying snow. I have had 4x4 in my last 3 vehicles so I suppose that I am used to it. Mpg on the Kadjar in first 400 miles is over 51 which is way better than anything I have had before I.e Freelander, Rav4, and ix 35.

Going way off topic here.

My best mate drives his company car. They get a fair choice. He had a 04 plte Honda HRV?CRV, the bigger proper 4wd. Absolute rubbish, expensive to run and fault after fault. Then he got the Toyota RAV4, I went fishing with him, still do, that car returns 55mpg overall from a 2.2 diesel after all these years,

Should have said it was an 07 RAV4, he bought it when the car was replaced in 2010, has it still today

The blue does look good, I've done 700 miles in the last two weeks and it needs a clean but considering I did 150 miles Wednesday morning in what was more like Monsoon weather - it still looks tidy. I did look at the 4WD because it wasn't adding too much on cost but the 800kg the drive train adds does demolish the fuel economy - and I would not really use 4wd except for bad winter weather which for the last two winters has not really happened in my area of Yorkshire. The 1.6dci has buckets of power for me (based on what I have driven before) and with careful motorway driving I've managed to get 63mpg which is superb. Fuel economy makes a big difference to me personally because mine is a private car which I use for business and charge the business mileage when I use it for work.

Not usually needing to get anywhere in a hurry I switched on the ECO mode and on a relatively short journey got the mpg up to 61. If I can maintain that on longer journeys I will be delighted. Does anyone else use ECO mode and how have you found it?

25 minutes ago, Melville said:

Not usually needing to get anywhere in a hurry I switched on the ECO mode and on a relatively short journey got the mpg up to 61. If I can maintain that on longer journeys I will be delighted. Does anyone else use ECO mode and how have you found it?

I have a 1.2 tce auto and find that ECO really takes the edge of performance.

Find a quiet open road  and, with ECO on, accelerate quickly from about 20mph as if you want to reach 70mph.

When you reach about 40mph turn ECO off and prepare to be pressed back into your seat.

Don't really care about saving a few mpg, but that's me refusing to grow up.

Agree that performance is compromised by ECO but if I need the performance I can always take it off. Will probably do that anyway when I and other road users are tired of me driving like a nun!

Just doing a bit of experimenting with the new Kadjar at the moment.

Last 3 cars I've had all have had the eco system and the Renault 1.5dci

I found not using the ECO button gave better return by using the throttle correctly.

In addition in the summer the reduced AC flow was unacceptable

The 1.6 dci is a little different, still getting used to the gearing and the ECO button takes the edge of to urgent acceleration in the lower gears, the throttle is all or nothing in 1-4 gears I find.

The ECO mode seems to have a very mixed view from people on here, with plenty non too keen on it. Personally I use it most of the time - I don't really know if it is getting a great deal better MPG but the engine tone down makes the Kadjar still perform far better then my last car - while turning off the ECO suddenly makes it into a sporty accelerating monster (well from my limited experience of mostly heavy and underpowered vehicles). Given you can also turn it on and off while on the  move, if I want the extra power (ie planning an overtake on normal roads) then I knock it off and then turn it back on when I no longer need the full engine thrust. The comment on AirCon performance is interesting, I have mostly since having the Kadjar done my best to not use the AirCon to help the MPG - obviously if it's getting too hot to handle inside I will pop it on for a bit. I'll remember to knock off ECO for a quicker cool down when I need it now - thanks Stephen :-)

With ECO on try to push accelerating pedal more then to first blocking position, yes it is possible like in with automatic gears models (for kickdowns). When you do this, eco mode is off and you have full power, you can try if i'm wrong.

Your exactly right in the description of the full throttle push, I've found on the 1.5dci the extra it knocked of the mpg whilst flooring it I could do better on the throttle myself with it switched off.

As I say 1.6dci jury still out, did 350 miles yesterday on motorway, 1/2 of each and didn't notice any difference on mpg

On 30/07/2017 at 10:59 PM, c0ff33 said:

The ECO mode seems to have a very mixed view from people on here, with plenty non too keen on it. Personally I use it most of the time - I don't really know if it is getting a great deal better MPG but the engine tone down makes the Kadjar still perform far better then my last car - while turning off the ECO suddenly makes it into a sporty accelerating monster (well from my limited experience of mostly heavy and underpowered vehicles). Given you can also turn it on and off while on the  move, if I want the extra power (ie planning an overtake on normal roads) then I knock it off and then turn it back on when I no longer need the full engine thrust. The comment on AirCon performance is interesting, I have mostly since having the Kadjar done my best to not use the AirCon to help the MPG - obviously if it's getting too hot to handle inside I will pop it on for a bit. I'll remember to knock off ECO for a quicker cool down when I need it now - thanks Stephen :-)

:D:D:D I'm laughing here in agreement. The air con is free if you snap it on on the overrun, then turn off when working the engine.

I found the ECO button only suitable for my granny, and I'm in my sixties.

BUT, I have done exactly the same, drive with ECO switched in but when I plan an overtake I switch it off. This is really poor, your/my mind should be on performing a safe maneuver, not tweaking the tuning (all the ECO button does) to suit driving.

I reached my conclusion that it is better off than on after a couple of weeks of ownership. Any savvy driver can effect better mpg results than that silly button with no fears that if he hasn't fully floored the throttle he has 90bhp and not 110. (not fact but likely)

SG, I had a 1.6dci qashqai, the same as the 1.6 cagey. My 1.5 is proving no more economical. The Cagey is less aerodynamic, feel free to discuss.