• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Smartphone mirroring in pre-May vehicles
11 11

108 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, AOne said:

I've read somewhere long ago, the problem is in the USB. My guess is, the 2.0 can't support the data transfer required to run things smoothly (Just a guess).

These were all speculations at the time and perhaps wrong info from r-link customer helpline people.

The specs are definitely very similar in both units and can't forget that android has been activated on older r-link 1 units.

The USB 3.0 standard was launched in 2008 but is still something unknown for Renault?!?

There are 2 important differences: 

1. Speed. USB 2.0 has 480 Mbps and 3.0 has 4.8 Gbps (the maps for the whole Europe are a little less than 1 GB)

2. Power. USB 2.0 up to 500 mA and 3.0 up to 900 mA. So, USB 2.0 with a current of 500 mA has limitations when charging a larger smartphone or tablet battery. 

I don't believe Renault when they say that the problem is USB version. Like I don't believe them when they say they cannot retrofit walk-away lock.

On 4/18/2018 at 7:17 PM, Buder said:

The USB 3.0 standard was launched in 2008 but is still something unknown for Renault?!?

There are 2 important differences: 

1. Speed. USB 2.0 has 480 Mbps and 3.0 has 4.8 Gbps (the maps for the whole Europe are a little less than 1 GB)

2. Power. USB 2.0 up to 500 mA and 3.0 up to 900 mA. So, USB 2.0 with a current of 500 mA has limitations when charging a larger smartphone or tablet battery. 

I don't believe Renault when they say that the problem is USB version. Like I don't believe them when they say they cannot retrofit walk-away lock.

To be honest, a lot of laptop manufacturers also has same problem. Not to mention phone manufactures... say, which android phone works on full USB3 speed when connected to PC? We know that iPhone does not... I beleive that magic word is 'not need' and 'compatibility'. To charge newer phone or tablet you need at least 1A on USB output. With 500mA good luck... and for charging you do not need USB3. Powered USB2 is enough.

10 hours ago, robertp said:

To charge newer phone or tablet you need at least 1A on USB output. With 500mA good luck... and for charging you do not need USB3. Powered USB2 is enough.

It is a difference between charging and keeping charged. When I am using mirroring function the amount of energy taken from USB must be at least equal with the one consumed by the phone.

I am sure that "if there is a will, there is a way". Renault is just not interested to solve this and somehow I understand them - just read their last year selling results!!

Yes. So when phone operate and doesent't discharge then second condition is meet. When phone is charging and operate at same time then first condition is meet. Meaning that there is enough power on USB port.

I know what this two things means when used just a 500mA lighter-to USB charger and use it on iPhone for navigation. Phone despite of connected to power source rapidly discharged.

You are right but I don't know if this is true for all phones. My phone was charging and in the same time using BT, GPS, Mobile data and cell,  the screen was at the maximum and it charged about 10 % in almost 1 hour (much - much slower than normal). I guess there are at least a few phone models with higher consumption (my phone is a 2017 model). Using Waze it will make those phones discharged. It is interesting to measure the power in USB ports on pre-May cars and the others. If there is a significant difference I think there is the problem.