Smartphone mirroring in pre-May vehicles
11 11

108 posts in this topic

Google translate gives this from one of these links:

"This package of services will also be accessible to owners of older Renault models via My Renault Connect, available in the second quarter of 2018. "

9 hours ago, robertp said:

More adequate question is how this will help us? 

:D If you are calm and you read all the article you will find what 1898 already found or this :

"Quant aux clients qui roulent avec des véhicules plus anciens, ils ne sont pas oubliés. Ils pourront s'équiper avec un boîtier (My Renault Connected) au deuxième trimestre 2018." 

5 minutes ago, Buder said:

Renault says they will make a module called My Renault Connected (Ils pourront s'équiper avec un boîtier). 

I wonder if it will cost more or less than e.g. a Google Chromecast module?

So have I got this correct as this thread has  become a bit confusing.  Renault are launching some kind of update for the R-Link2 which will work on pre 2017 Kadjar models?

So this thread is primarily about getting Android auto/Apple carplay on pre May 2017 kadjars which currently isn't possible by official or unofficial means.

This "news" by Renault doesn't actually seem anything new. More promises about improving after sales support. It seems like they're adding this Renault connect feature to new cars with r-link 2 version 3.x (post May 2017). They also said they *plan* to bring this to older cars via some hardware upgrade.

Tbh we all know we don't need any new hardware when cars like the 2016 clio/megane and the 2014 Koleos can run Android auto so it really is just Renault not investing any time in coming up with a software fix. 

Best hope is still independent developers getting an update or tweak for r-link 2 version 2.x (pre-May)

I believe Renault would make this work if it is an option - they've obviously not forgotten us (the old r-links on 2.x) as they just released v2.2.19.200 for us, and the newer map of Europe too. So, if its technically possible, why would they not do it? It makes no sense.

On 09/07/2017 at 4:24 PM, sbaigel said:

This iPhone analogy doesn't work for the car - older iPhones are still updated to the new iOS software. Renault has said they have no plans to update older cars which were manufactured just months ago which is what is outraging customers and they have every right to be outraged.

I’ll disagree with that one, my iPhone 7plus doesn’t have the features my sons iPhone X has, shall I complain to Apple?

I got my car registered 3/18. I knew it was stock but how do I know when it was manufactured? It has rlink 2.2... but I expected it to have 3.3.. with Apple CarPlay. 

53 minutes ago, Mellis said:

I got my car registered 3/18. I knew it was stock but how do I know when it was manufactured? It has rlink 2.2... but I expected it to have 3.3.. with Apple CarPlay. 

Return it saying you were mis sold an older version.

3 minutes ago, Mellis said:

But I don’t think he specifically said nor did I specifically ask....

You also have legal rights to return within 14/30 days if you're not happy with it in any way. I'm not completely sure of this but if it was registered this month (3/18) then it should be in this time frame. Did you get it direct from a Renault dealer?

Suz    2

I have exactly the same problem car registered 3 /18 . I knew it was from stock but never did I think it wasor I told that it was built March 2017. What’s your vin number and I can tell you what month it was built.  I have actually complained to the branch that they have mis sold me the car they say not. So unless Renault finance sort this I am going legal as iv been told I have most definitely been mis sold.  Watch this space 

Suz    2

Hi 

if you have 3. 3 version you should be ok and have the apple play in yours . It doesn’t have the mirroring you have to download . I’d just go to the dealer and get them to sort it 

Although I have a later version 3.316.941 and for I Phone 6 shows screen mirror only if NOT connected on USB cable, as the Apple Car play takes over then . Use BT to use screen mirror it seems.

The Rlink2 screen mirror Icon is on the last page of multimedia, not main multi media source page. Swipe to left to see this if its there. ( the white dots at top of menu screens show number of menu screens available for a particular part of the menu tree)

Italians and Spanish forums are delving into the recently discovered developer mode and making some headway.

Currently what we know so far - both R-link ver 3.3x and 2.2x run Android 4.0.4 and both have 1GB ram and 1Ghz CPU. 

There's no hardware issue to have android auto but I believe there is a hardware barrier to apple carplay.

I feel like there will be significant progress in the coming weeks for a quick and easy modification to add android auto (without all the ECU and ddt4all tinkering) - I imagine a tutorial will be out which can make it as easy as it is currently for the Mazda owners 

I've read somewhere long ago, the problem is in the USB. My guess is, the 2.0 can't support the data transfer required to run things smoothly (Just a guess).