Smartphone mirroring in pre-May vehicles
11 11

108 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I'm a new Kadjar owner and new to this forum. Quite unfortunately - I decided to get my Signature S Nav from the dealer existing stock and it turned out to be from the "old" stock with the older R-Link 2 install with no smartphone mirroring. I'm determined to get this rectified and have done some extensive research over multiple forums to see the situation and it seems that Apple require a "higher powered USB output" which I frankly think is bollocks because the existing output is more than my wall charger. Nonetheless - if this is true then I don't see why Renault can't at least include android auto when the whole system itself is android based. So for this I have three actions proposed:

1) Go sign the petition from the french forum (use google translate if you're not fluent in croissant) - https://www.change.org/p/renault-france-android-auto-carplay-pour-tous-les-r-link-2-renault?

2) If someone has the new r-link 2 software (version 3.3.16.941) - please upload the update file? - I can ask some more talented friends if they can do some work on trying to build a custom firmware - this will be risky however and not guaranteed - its been done on the Mazda CX5 to bring android auto on there but people need to reinstall the stock firmware before car goes into service (I believe).

3) This is my own personal endeavour as I feel I've been wronged by Renault in my particular case - my car was manufactured April 24th and this article clearly states "From April onwards, 100% of new cars produced with R-LINK will embark the compatibility with the leading smartphone projection technologies from Google and Apple."   This was more recently changed to May 2017 vehicles - so it is quite unacceptable that I only had that previous info when buying my car - I think I should have a legal avenue to pursue but ideally want to resolve it with a software update.

Thanks for reading guys! Keep up the pressure and keep contacting Renault complaints team

Well after a long winded complaints procedure - no new information from Renault, they maintain that my car began manufacture in March so it's not compatible with smartphone mirroring and this won't be added in any future update from Renault...  I could pursue a motor ombudsman complaint but it seems a bit long winded and don't have the appetite for that. 

Our only option is a custom fit - but someone who owns a vehicle with the new system needs to upload the update for me to have a look at... It has been done in Mazda CX5 and it can be done here.

If you have android auto/apple carplay on your car - please get the update onto USB from the r-link store and find a way to message me privately - I'll be able remove any vehicle identification info from the files fairly easily.

Not that I have one but i'm assuming it won't be an update available for download as such.It will be a new or altered version of r-link 2 software preinstalled at the factory prior to delivery.How would they go about copying that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Not that I have one but i'm assuming it won't be an update as such.It will be a new or altered version of r-link 2 software preinstalled at the factory prior to delivery.How would they go about copying that?

They can still log into their r-link store account and download the existing version of their software onto USB I believe - will look into this further if there is someone willing.

Can they ? Can we do that with ours? I've not seen an option to do that and thought the store was only for map updates and apps.The last update had to be done at a dealership so am thinking it's ring fenced in some way?
Only asking because I'm interested in your objective and would be happy if it could be done. I wouldn't have a clue how to go about giving you a copy of what I have now and suspect most new owners would be scratching their heads to provide what your asking for without some sort of how to guide.

Well after a long winded complaints procedure - no new information from Renault, they maintain that my car began manufacture in March so it's not compatible with smartphone mirroring and this won't be added in any future update from Renault...  I could pursue a motor ombudsman complaint but it seems a bit long winded and don't have the appetite for that. 
Our only option is a custom fit - but someone who owns a vehicle with the new system needs to upload the update for me to have a look at... It has been done in Mazda CX5 and it can be done here.

If you have android auto/apple carplay on your car - please get the update onto USB from the r-link store and find a way to message me privately - I'll be able remove any vehicle identification info from the files fairly easily.

I feel exactly same as you. I have pursued with Ombudsman

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 1964 said:

Can they ? Can we do that with ours? I've not seen an option to do that and thought the store was only for map updates and apps.The last update had to be done at a dealership so am thinking it's ring fenced in some way?
Only asking because I'm interested in your objective and would be happy if it could be done. I wouldn't have a clue how to go about giving you a copy of what I have now and suspect most new owners would be scratching their heads to provide what your asking for without some sort of how to guide.

I'll have a look at this and see if there's an easy way for people to get they're whole firmware onto the USB easily.

1 hour ago, Andy Mac said:

I feel exactly same as you. I have pursued with Ombudsman

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Let us know how it goes! I don't know how much legal grounds there are to force Renault to do something but there is correspondence showing that cars in April (I've seen March in some cases) 2017 will have smartphone mirroring.

Just as an update - I've got in touch with the MazdaTweaks guy to see how they managed to load up custom apps/firmware on their cars (I believe the system is also android based) 

Also please tweet

Benoit Joly - Renault Head of Connected Car Sales & Marketing 

@jolybenoit 

Complaining about this issue as I have already done. More people that do the better - I know that if I was a decision maker in a large company - a couple of idle complaints won't influence my decisions but if I see a trend then it would be more likely listened to.

While I agree with you if things have been falsely advertised then I would persue a complaint however, tech moves on and something is always around the corner. Look at the iPhone, each year a new one and some features are not backwards compatible. It's tough but thats life with tech so I don't think people should complain too much that they now can't get a feature they never had or purchased in the first place. 

45 minutes ago, Marc said:

While I agree with you if things have been falsely advertised then I would persue a complaint however, tech moves on and something is always around the corner. Look at the iPhone, each year a new one and some features are not backwards compatible. It's tough but thats life with tech so I don't think people should complain too much that they now can't get a feature they never had or purchased in the first place. 

This is very British lol but I think it's easily said as an owner with the new version installed. My issue is that I did expect the feature in my car (registered in June 2017). Owners of Mazdas and Ford have the option available to upgrade so I don't see why Renault can't offer a similar option.  

32 minutes ago, sbaigel said:

This is very British lol but I think it's easily said as an owner with the new version installed. My issue is that I did expect the feature in my car (registered in June 2017). Owners of Mazdas and Ford have the option available to upgrade so I don't see why Renault can't offer a similar option.  

It's nothing to do with being British or an owner of a May model. It's called being reasonable. If you were misled when buying the car then that's a good enough reason to complain. Anything outside of this I don't think is in my opinion. If you are paying a large price for a car at least check the spec sheet. Renault are not Mazda and are not obligated to do the same as Mazda, I'd like to buy a cheap iPhone 4s and get the 7's features but it ain't gonna happen!

I was told in September 2016 that my car would have apple car play I now I find out that it will not this was one of the deciding factors in ordering our car pisses me off

If Renault would offer us updated maps at least once a year, I wouldn't bother so much about not having the smartphone mirroring possibility. But having a nice built in screen that can't be used for up-to-date navigation is so annoying.

Skickat från min SM-T705 via Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Marc said:

It's nothing to do with being British or an owner of a May model. It's called being reasonable. If you were misled when buying the car then that's a good enough reason to complain. Anything outside of this I don't think is in my opinion. If you are paying a large price for a car at least check the spec sheet. Renault are not Mazda and are not obligated to do the same as Mazda, I'd like to buy a cheap iPhone 4s and get the 7's features but it ain't gonna happen!

If you bought an iphone 7 last year then heard that someone bought one this year and it had new features not available to you, you would feel slightly aggrieved. Had that phone been a 7s then there wouldn't be anything to feel aggrieved about as you are aware that apple (and other firms) release upgrades around 1 year in but do change the product ID by adding an 's' or similar.  According to Renault the system is still R-Link 2 (not 3 or 2s etc) but with a firmware upgrade which allows use of android auto/apple car play and access to new maps and fixes the bugs most of us suffer on a daily basis.  This isn't strictly true however, as some have been informed that hardware has also changed which if true should have a different title (not just an asterix saying based on date of manufacture) .  Due to this hardware change it seems that, for now, the older version of R-Link 2 is not currently being supported as focus has moved over to the newer version.  

If a software update for the 'older' version of the R-Link 2 is released (has been rumoured for almost a year) then it will placate a lot of disgruntled owners as it would hopefully fix the bugs and allow the maps to be updated.  Android auto isnt a deal breaker for me but the bugs and outdated maps are quite annoying.

6 hours ago, Arthur_Kono said:

And Renault succeeded to make RLink2 almost unbreakable. So far, at least. Unfortunately.

Where is this info from? Has someone tried to hack into the software before?

15 hours ago, Marc said:

This iPhone analogy doesn't work for the car - older iPhones are still updated to the new iOS software. Renault has said they have no plans to update older cars which were manufactured just months ago which is what is outraging customers and they have every right to be outraged.

7 hours ago, Karl said:

If Renault would offer us updated maps at least once a year, I wouldn't bother so much about not having the smartphone mirroring possibility. But having a nice built in screen that can't be used for up-to-date navigation is so annoying.

Skickat från min SM-T705 via Tapatalk

Completely agree with you Karl

8 hours ago, D13urg said:

I was told in September 2016 that my car would have apple car play I now I find out that it will not this was one of the deciding factors in ordering our car pisses me off

This is why we need to keep up the pressure on them and keep being vocal. 

2 hours ago, leejaxxin said:

If you bought an iphone 7 last year then heard that someone bought one this year and it had new features not available to you, you would feel slightly aggrieved. Had that phone been a 7s then there wouldn't be anything to feel aggrieved about as you are aware that apple (and other firms) release upgrades around 1 year in but do change the product ID by adding an 's' or similar.  According to Renault the system is still R-Link 2 (not 3 or 2s etc) but with a firmware upgrade which allows use of android auto/apple car play and access to new maps and fixes the bugs most of us suffer on a daily basis.  This isn't strictly true however, as some have been informed that hardware has also changed which if true should have a different title (not just an asterix saying based on date of manufacture) .  Due to this hardware change it seems that, for now, the older version of R-Link 2 is not currently being supported as focus has moved over to the newer version.  

If a software update for the 'older' version of the R-Link 2 is released (has been rumoured for almost a year) then it will placate a lot of disgruntled owners as it would hopefully fix the bugs and allow the maps to be updated.  Android auto isnt a deal breaker for me but the bugs and outdated maps are quite annoying.

This exactly - we've been told that R- link 2 is the latest a greatest from renault only to have an outdated system from the start for some of us.

13 minutes ago, sbaigel said:

This iPhone analogy doesn't work for the car - older iPhones are still updated to the new iOS software. Renault has said they have no plans to update older cars which were manufactured just months ago which is what is outraging customers and they have every right to be outraged.

I was talking about features not software. There has to be a cut off point or cars would never update with new features.

If you were promised features and have not got them then that is fine however, if you know what you are buying ie without the features, you know someday it will get updated. That's what I'm trying to say, you maybe unhappy but I don't see your argument at all

2 hours ago, sbaigel said:

Where is this info from? Has someone tried to hack into the software before?

I have following one french navigation forum and yes, there they tried to hack it without significant success.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

I was talking about features not software.

OK, talking about mirroring it's may be a new feature. But keeping navigation maps up to date by updating them 1-2 times per year is pure software issue. For the record - NNG has released maps dated as 2017.03 a month ago. My Kadjar still has 2015.06. Make a sense? No!

1 hour ago, Arthur_Kono said:

I have following one french navigation forum and yes, there they tried to hack it without significant success.

OK, talking about mirroring it's may be a new feature. But keeping navigation maps up to date by updating them 1-2 times per year is pure software issue. For the record - NNG has released maps dated as 2017.03 a month ago. My Kadjar still has 2015.06. Make a sense? No!

Totally understand the map issue as that was a promised feature so I believe by what some people have said so yeah complain away as I would too