Distinctive DRLs
3 3

24 posts in this topic

I've only had my Kadjar six weeks and I still don't tire of the reflection of the front DRLs in my neighbour's front window as I drive away. If there are better and more distinctive DRLs around I've yet to see them. All Audis and BMWs look the same from the front but you can't mistake a Kadjar. My daughter says it looks 'evil' which was meant as a compliment. I know everyone's taste is different but I was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

I first noticed a Kadjar back in November 2016 - and was frankly shocked to see such stunning DRL's on a Renault. Having been more then happy with my Grande Scenic for 6 years (especially the keyless entry and digital dash) straight away I said to myself my next car will be one of those...and now it is. I think the Megan is now getting something similar DRL wise - I hope they don't spread it about too much it is nice being in a very exclusive club.

I hope they don't spread it about too much it is nice being in a very exclusive club

I totally agree I was horrified to see a TV commercial for the Kadjar last night.

1 hour ago, c0ff33 said:

I first noticed a Kadjar back in November 2016 - and was frankly shocked to see such stunning DRL's on a Renault. Having been more then happy with my Grande Scenic for 6 years (especially the keyless entry and digital dash) straight away I said to myself my next car will be one of those...and now it is. I think the Megan is now getting something similar DRL wise - I hope they don't spread it about too much it is nice being in a very exclusive club.

Megane also has the same DRLS, been driving a 66 plate demonstrator while my kadjar gets the air con drain pipe replaced which incidentally Renault have now informed me is on back order so could be driving the Megane even longer. It has the DRLS , auto locking and unlock also auto folding mirrors, capless fuel filler, blue mood lighting on all doors, fat tyres so much better than the low profiles of the kadjar, but feels really low down when you get in even after pumping seat all the way up so will be glad to get the kadjar back eventually.

9 hours ago, Kug said:

Megane also has the same DRLS, been driving a 66 plate demonstrator while my kadjar gets the air con drain pipe replaced which incidentally Renault have now informed me is on back order so could be driving the Megane even longer. It has the DRLS , auto locking and unlock also auto folding mirrors, capless fuel filler, blue mood lighting on all doors, fat tyres so much better than the low profiles of the kadjar, but feels really low down when you get in even after pumping seat all the way up so will be glad to get the kadjar back eventually.

The old megane estate is still the best car I've owned in terms of kit and space and quirkiness. Would have had another of later model had I not needed the ride height and seat height of a cagey style car. Good car the latest megane and does demonstrate that Renaults collaboration with Nissan has lost a few niceties that I/we used to take for granted.

Sadly it does look like Renault are going to spread the headlight pack around the range, as well as the Megane the latest revision of the Scenic and Grand Scenic will be getting the same C effect DRL's. They look good though, and with the foglights upgraded to LED bulbs they enhance the look even more.

19 hours ago, c0ff33 said:

Sadly it does look like Renault are going to spread the headlight pack around the range, as well as the Megane the latest revision of the Scenic and Grand Scenic will be getting the same C effect DRL's. They look good though, and with the foglights upgraded to LED bulbs they enhance the look even more.

Why is that sad??

Because the Kadgar DRL's were distinctive - as soon as you see them you know it's another Kadjar heading toward you. Now they are just going to be standard Renault stock making them more prevalent on the road and less exclusive. I don't imagine most people would be bothered about it all all, but personally I am a little sad because up to now the DRL look was exclusive to the Kadjars and made owning one a bit more special.

There is a point of view in the motor trade that DRL are actually dangerous. I think it's because from an oblique angle they can hide the turn signal on many models.

I do actually think they should be switchable.

This is from a guy who had a qashqai before, it didn't have any DRL's but had HID or similar lights. Given the low power draw I drove with dipped headlights all the time.

Yes I do like them but also understand the safety concerns.

Good point Ted. Although I love the DRLs I was surprised to find the front indicators on the inside of the light unit and not the outside as it always used to be. Probably feel that allied to the ones on the wing mirrors it's enough. Anyway nobody seems to have difficulty seeing them.

Some of the best DRL's I have seen combine the turn indicator into the DRL - so the whole DRL goes from white to amber on the side for the turn signal.  Alternatively having them dim or turn off on the side that is indicating also works well. I can't say anyone has not noticed my turn signal yet, but I would agree that with the Kadjar you might want to not presume someone realises you are planning on turning if they are facing you head on.

I have noticed in daylight that cars waiting at a junction I'm turning into could have gone much earlier as I always signal well in advance. It's just as if they can't quite see if I'm signalling or not.

Coff, that arrangement makes more sense to me.

3 hours ago, turboted10 said:

I have noticed in daylight that cars waiting at a junction I'm turning into could have gone much earlier as I always signal well in advance. It's just as if they can't quite see if I'm signalling or not.

Coff, that arrangement makes more sense to me.

An advanced driving instructor once told me never to pull out in front of a car indicating a left turn.

The turn signal may have  been left on or turned on accidentally or the driver may be intending to pull into the kerb beyond your junction. (Could even be a deliberate cash for crash ploy).

17 minutes ago, Wife'sKdj said:

An advanced driving instructor once told me never to pull out in front of a car indicating a left turn.

The turn signal may have  been left on or turned on accidentally or the driver may be intending to pull into the kerb beyond your junction. (Could even be a deliberate cash for crash ploy).

You are exactly right, but as a seasoned (older) motorist I know drivers don't subscribe to that, they will pull out to a clear left signal. My point is that left signals aren't always clear when daytime running lights kick in. 

Not an issue in that case but still can be confusing.