Towbar Electrics
2 2

31 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone.

Please could anyone advise reference towbar fitting. I live in the Bristol area and would like your advise on fitting either the universal wiring or the dedicated Renault wiring 13 pin kit. My car is a Kadjar Dynamique SNAV 2017 Auto. There seems to be a very big difference in the wiring quotes. Witter swan detachable with universal wiring £444 fitted and Witter swan detachable with dedicated wiring £560 fitted. I have reversing sensors. I know against main dealer prices that these are very good, but I would appreciate any views fellow owners might have.

Thank you for your time.

Bob.  

Hi Darenh. This is just one of the quotes for the two different options available. This seems to be the going price in the Bristol and surrounding area, as the other couple of quotes were slightly higher. I would still like to hear peoples thoughts on the two different wiring options of either the universal or the dedicated wiring options.

Thank you.

Bob.

I did my own using a bypass unit, I only needed 7 pin but the basis is the same as I have everything at the back rear corner if I need it.

So the dedicated option is using the OE plugs basically plug and play Y pieces that intercept the wiring for the pickups.

The universal option requires more work to splice into the OE loom, there's a lot more work involved rather than using the pull a plug then plug a plug in method.

You are paying for the extra plugs and ease of installation plus the original loom is not usually tampered with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your insight on this topic Darenh. I will shop around a bit more and try and get a better price. I will probably get the job done by a professional as the car is only a couple of weeks old so I don't want any warranty issues.

Thank you. Bob.

54 minutes ago, Walshy1690 said:

Did you not ask at the dealers I had the factory fitted one cost me 500 but didn't want issues with the rear lights also it deactivates the rear sensors

I went for the dealer fit as well - can't remember the price, but it would have been around the same as yours - and for the same reasons. I've also had a previous "discussion" with an insurance company about the potential effect of an after-market accessory (on my motorhome) and didn't want to get caught up in that issue again.

Hi. I did inquire with the dealership and they use an outside contractor who carries out the fitting at the dealership premises. This was £600. I have also been advised that providing the dedicated Renault wiring kit is used there will be no warranty issues. The dealership have actually given me a couple of contact details that I might like to try.

Thank you for your input.

Bob.

Trouble with SOME dealers they don't have anyone competent of installing aftermarket and genuine products.
It sounds as though they get an auto electrician in to do the fit then bung the middle man cost on

Unfortunately that's the norm nowadays

Just thinking about it what if the dealership isnt a renault uk one , and a independent dealer
could that be why they use out side

Or do they do it to add extra funds to them self and not renault sort of thing

No not really, it depends on whose at the dealership, as in technician wise. Sometimes it pays to get an outside contractor in. I've been to a few Merc, Renault, Peugeot, Skoda.
Fault finding and development is what I'm good at.

Be aware that the Kadjar Bose Edition with rear camera does not automatically shut off the rear sensors when the trailer is connected.

It must be done in the menus of the R-Link.

Yes, otherwise you will soon get a spanner sign on dash and a warning that park assistance is malfunctioning. As soon you remove trailer and sensors reinitialize error will go off. Imagine you drive on holliday for 600km and this bloody light lit in your face...

Because of avoiding that I ordered an original retractable towbar with dedicated Renault wiring loom.
Disappointed as hell. Returen to dealership, change a connection module. Not better, after a week they show me an Tech Note explaining that that's it. Turn off manually.

Don't understand it wrong... towbar is nonproblem, more problematic is obviously UCH in connection with wireing loom and moduls because it can not turn off park assistance and rear modules...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 20/05/2017 at 7:24 PM, Walshy1690 said:

That's bad using out side people
mine was fitted at the import centre so I know it's under warranty

Same here.

On 20/05/2017 at 11:25 PM, 1898 said:

Be aware that the Kadjar Bose Edition with rear camera does not automatically shut off the rear sensors when the trailer is connected.

It must be done in the menus of the R-Link.

I'm just about to connect mine up for the first time, so that could be very useful. Interesting to note that one of the bits of info from the salesman was that the Renault retractable bar/electrics was designed to turn off parking sensors automatically. I'll post again when I've got it hooked up.

3 hours ago, MikeB said:

I'm just about to connect mine up for the first time, so that could be very useful. Interesting to note that one of the bits of info from the salesman was that the Renault retractable bar/electrics was designed to turn off parking sensors automatically. I'll post again when I've got it hooked up.

Fitted genuine Renault retractable towbar and dedicated electrics myself - all works well, sensors go off (I've got Signature Bose edition) when trailer connected, as well as disabling blind spot alert, however this is only because it needs programming by Renault to do this (you can't do it from R Link - it's a Renault CLIP programming job I'm afraid, so main dealer only).  Mine was done whilst it was at the dealers for something else at no cost to me after I'd fitted them!

11 hours ago, thecookster said:

Fitted genuine Renault retractable towbar and dedicated electrics myself - all works well, sensors go off (I've got Signature Bose edition) when trailer connected, as well as disabling blind spot alert, however this is only because it needs programming by Renault to do this (you can't do it from R Link - it's a Renault CLIP programming job I'm afraid, so main dealer only).  Mine was done whilst it was at the dealers for something else at no cost to me after I'd fitted them!

image.png

10 hours ago, darenh said:

Where does the loom plug in?

The loom piggybacks several connectors for sensors, brake lights etc etc etc then (and this is what took me ages to find!) there is a power lead already in the boot taped up to give the power to the towbar electrics.  Of course the constant/switched live for caravans requires seperate wires running - the part number for the loom is on the instructions for the dedicate towbar....   I picked the most expensive option, but it does look best and no warranty issues and no bumper cuts with the drop down towbar...