• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Stop Start Standby - Engine not restarting D flashing
3 3

27 posts in this topic

I just bought a new Petrol Automatic Kadjar 6 days ago, and today it exhibited problems with the Stop and Start Function.

Twice, the engine failed to restart from the engine standby mode by depressing the accelerator pedal after waiting at traffic lights for a short period.  I noticed that the "D" was flashing against a white square surrounding background in the instrument panel "PRND" display.

I had to quickly try to restart the ignition by pressing the "stop" button and then the (same) "start" button including depressing the brake pedal and putting the gear lever into "P".

As I was not expecting any issues with my new car, I was surprised at this failure to restart at the traffic lights, and I had drivers behind me beeping impatiently.

Is this a known failure scenario?  What is the meaning of the flashing "D"?  What is the cause of the failure to come out of engine standby?

So when coming to a stop you brake, vehicle stops push a little harder the stop start activates, keep your foot on the the brake unit you want to set off, slightest release of the brake should start the engine while it is still in drive.

D usually flashes if the car is stopped using the button then you try and restart it. It won't restart until in Park or Neutral

No known issues, just not used correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darenh

Thanks for your response.  The correct sequence which you describe is exactly what I have been doing each time I'm waiting.  Most of the time, the engine comes out of standby when I release the brake pedal and depress the accelerator pedal to move off.  I never touch the Stop/Start button during the whole journey itself.

The "D" starts flashing without me doing anything.  The first time I know that there is something wrong is when I depress the accelerator pedal and the engine does not restart, and then I see that the "D" is flashing.

The conditions under which my above "Stop and Start Function" error occurred are that the gear stick stays in position "D" all the time and that I'm depressing the brake pedal all the time.  The "D" symbol is lit up with a white square around it.  I don't touch any other controls.

The engine goes into the Standby asleep state and the appropriate warning light is already lit up, the one with the "A" and circular arrow.

After a few seconds. the "D" symbol with its white square starts to flash on and off, and the warning light changes to indicate that this Function has been stopped, i.e. with the "A" and circular arrow and diagonal line across these.

So it seems that the Function is already activated when I brake the car at the traffic lights so the engine goes into standby state.  Whilst I am waiting at the traffic lights within the engine standby state, the Function decides to deactivate itself, so the warning light changes and the "D" starts flashing.  But, as the engine is still in its standby asleep state, it remains asleep even when I release the brake pedal and depress the accelerator pedal.  It is as if the Stop button had pressed even though I do no such thing.

Maybe one of the specific conditions for deactivating this Function suddenly appears during the engine standby state, and the whole system is confused.

The end result is that I am unexpectedly stationary with the drivers behind me wondering why I'm not driving off, and I have to explicitly Start the car by pressing the Start button.

If the problem was the battery charge level then this Function should have become deactivated already.

I've booked my two-week-old car for a service check next Monday.  Meanwhile, in order to avoid this scenario, I keep deactivating the Function each time I Start the car.

This happened to me a few times and was very frustrating. I also have an automatic so had to move back into park before the car would start. I finally found the cause - very simple really - Each time it happened I had leaned out of my seat, ie. reaching for something in the passenger footwell or reaching back to the baby in the back. The car thinks you have left the vehicle and for security it shuts off the engine. Even though I now know the cause, it can still be frustrating as I might have to reach back to the baby when stopped at lights to pacify her but at least I know I will need to restart the engine and can do it before the lights change.

That's interesting, I must try that tomorrow, bum on seat, bum off seat, I wonder if that's something the ecu is expecting.

If it is it's possible that the seat sensor is faulty

Bumblebee - THANKS!!! - it seems that you've hit the nail on the head - your explanation sounds spot-on - so the answer is to remain perfectly immobile. This must be happening with all Kadjars so it's strange that it's not more widely reported unless the sensor logic software is different between cars.

darenh - it seems that the seat sensor based logic in the ecu is overly sensitive or incorrect, even if you lean over then your weight will lessen but will never go down to zero. I'm taking my car in on Monday for the dealer's service team to investigate and will mention Bumblebee's explanation. I'll report back.

JHFoto - yes - this is what I've been doing - deactivating this function immediately upon starting - the problem happened once today after I'd forgotten to disable the function.

Following Bumblebee's post, I repeated the scenario, so during the stop-start engine standby state, I lifted myself off the seat, and it, this problem, does happen.

The car basically switches itself off. The parking brake and its warning light both come on, there is a message which says something like - move to "P" for the gear stick and press Start - to re-start the car, and the interior lights come on.

So my earlier written description about the Stop-Start Deactivated warning light with the diagonal line was incorrect, I had seen that but I must have seen this as I was trying to re-start the car by trying various buttons. Each time, it's been a panicky confused situation because the sudden car failure had been totally unexpected and there's been cars behind me honking at me to move off, so my recollections were not exactly accurate, as my priority had been to get it moving again.

The trouble is that the instruction manual does not mention this safety feature at all, or else I cannot track it down.

Also, whilst it makes sense for the car to switch itself off if the driver leaves the driver's seat and the monitored driver's weight goes down to zero kilograms, it doesn't make sense if the driver just shifts about or leans over and the car switching itself off is rather an extreme over-reaction as a safety feature when the driver's weight would just reduce by a fraction.

I took my car to the dealer who analysed all the information available and concluded that there were no faults with the car. They were not aware of this "safety" feature which switches off the engine totally if the stop-start standby mode detects too much driver seat sensor changes. I did not consider that this car behaviour was a fault but thought that this safety feature was over-sensitive in its triggering. But now I know what to do in the circumstances, which is to re-start the car by moving the gear lever back to "P" and pressing the Start button. So that's all I got back - no fault.

To avoid this situation recurring, I've been deactivating the stop-start function.

But seriously, I tried this the other day when I remembered, I had to lift off the whole seat, tried the one cheek then the other, if you don't mind me asking what build you are, and what you are actually doing to activate it.
I guess the dealers don't know half the things about these cars.

darenh

I agree with your findings. I'm of normal build. I can't remember what movements I'd done when this engine cut-off occurred unexpectedly, but I doubt that I would have lifted myself off the driver's seat totally, I had probably just shifted about or turned around, just like Bumblebee's report.

When I tried to repeat the scenario, just like yourself, I had to lift myself off the seat totally, pushing my arms on the door and the central unit, which is NOT a usual nor normal procedure undertaken by any driver when waiting at traffic lights, so I'm at a loss as to guessing how I'd triggered this engine cut-out the first 2 times accidentally.

Anyway, now I always de-activate the stop-start...

Thanks to all those who've responded on this topic. At least we now know the cause, and in future, all those who experience this over-cautious safety feature, might find the answer here.

This has happened to me about 8 times now, I told the dealership about it & they kept the car for 2 weeks trying to replicate the problem, but they said it never happened to them (Sods law)

I must admit I've never notice it happening when I move in my seat.

It hadn't happened for a while until about 3 weeks ago & I thought what had I done recently that could have caused it & the only thing I could think of was that I'd recently switched the heating controls from manual to auto, I've now switched it back to manual & I'll leave it like that for a month or two to see if it cuts out if not then I'll putt it back to auto to see if it happens again.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Rtfm guys ...:)

Page 2.10 of PDF manual. 

Special cases for vehicles with a RENAULT card

With the engine on standby (traffic jam, traffic lights, etc.), if the driver unfastens the seat belt and opens the driver’s door, or gets out of the seat, the ignition is switched off. The assisted parking brake is applied automatically. To restart and reactivate the Stop and Start system, start the engine (please refer to “Starting, stopping the engine” in Section 2).

I haven't  got a clue 1964, like I said they had the car for 2/3 weeks & couldn't replicate the problem, seemed OK after for a few months & the it reappeared, will see how it goes, I'll keep posting as & when it happens again. 

Realj42 - Thanks for pointing to this text from the manual, but, like Blue Dolphin, I did nothing like that. As far as I remember, I just sat quietly in the driver's seat waiting for the traffic light to go Green on each occasion. It was only when I was purposefully trying to trigger this ignition switch-off that I had to physically lift myself off the seat completely, and then the switch-off is a sensible car response behaviour.

1964 - yes, an over-sensitive or temperamental seat sensor seems to be the most likely reason. For the time being I switch off this Stop Start, which is just hiding the problem, I just don't want to risk a car ramming me by mistake when the light goes Green. Really, I should let this ignition switch-off re-occur and then complain to the dealer again...

I just bought a new Petrol Automatic Kadjar 6 days ago, and today it exhibited problems with the Stop and Start Function.
Twice, the engine failed to restart from the engine standby mode by depressing the accelerator pedal after waiting at traffic lights for a short period.  I noticed that the "D" was flashing against a white square surrounding background in the instrument panel "PRND" display.
I had to quickly try to restart the ignition by pressing the "stop" button and then the (same) "start" button including depressing the brake pedal and putting the gear lever into "P".
As I was not expecting any issues with my new car, I was surprised at this failure to restart at the traffic lights, and I had drivers behind me beeping impatiently.
Is this a known failure scenario?  What is the meaning of the flashing "D"?  What is the cause of the failure to come out of engine standby?

I have worked out if you lift the pressure off the drivers seat it even just a little to turn round it puts the parking brake on and shuts the engine off and you have to press the start button to get going again hope this helps

On 6/7/2017 at 9:28 AM, D13urg said:

I have worked out if you lift the pressure off the drivers seat it even just a little to turn round it puts the parking brake on and shuts the engine off and you have to press the start button to get going again hope this helps

This happens to me when I’m at a barrier in the car park I’m only small so have to lean forward so therefore reduce pressure on the seat and it turns off