• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Tyres
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm not mechanically car minded at all unlike some of you so I thought I'd ask. I have the 19" wheels with a 225/45/19 profile... do you think 225/55/19 would work or perhaps rub the underside of the vehicle, or worse make the vehicle unstable?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, janeyandpaul said:

Hi, I'm not mechanically car minded at all unlike some of you so I thought I'd ask. I have the 19" wheels with a 225/45/19 profile... do you think 225/55/19 would work or perhaps rub the underside of the vehicle, or worse make the vehicle unstable?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know nothing about car tyres either ... but I did a quick Google, and found, if you look at the tyre from the front,  that 225 is the width of the tyre in millimetres, 45 refers to the depth of the tyre from the wheel to the edge, and is a percentage of the width (the 225), and 19 is the height of the wheel in inches.

So, armed with that knowledge, I'd say no, 225/55/19 wouldn't work, the tyres would be too fat.

I know nothing about car tyres either ... but I did a quick Google, and found, if you look at the tyre from the front,  that 225 is the width of the tyre in millimetres, 45 refers to the depth of the tyre from the wheel to the edge, and is a percentage of the width (the 225), and 19 is the height of the wheel in inches.
So, armed with that knowledge, I'd say no, 225/55/19 wouldn't work, the tyres would be too fat.

Thanks I thought that... I was just curious as fat tyres are cheaper and was hoping for more of a soft ride, I'm considering buying some 17" alloys I know there not as pretty as the Bose edition but I'm thinking of my comfort and long term spend on tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 55 is as stated above the depth, the overall size of the tyre wheel should stay the correct size as it will interfere with the gearing and speedo readings.
fd7d80a7634a796dfbfb84a5888869bd.jpg
These wheels are the same size, circumference, the profile is different to fit into the rim size, let's call them 19" wheels and 17" wheels the tread width may be different as well to compensate for the different sizes.

The important thing that they travel the same distance and are not wide enough to foul the arches

What I'm unsure of is are 17's on the cagey the same rolling dia as the 19" variants, or whether there is some re-calibration required into the brain.

Yes they should be that's were the profile measurement depth or number comes in, there is more rubber in show on the 17's
I've tried to keep it simple but use the calculator above to play around with sizes to come up with the same rolling distance. The width alters it as well but i think it's easier to start to understand it just using the depth

Yes they should be that's were the profile measurement depth or number comes in, there is more rubber in show on the 17's
I've tried to keep it simple but use the calculator above to play around with sizes to come up with the same rolling distance. The width alters it as well but i think it's easier to start to understand it just using the depth

Darren is spot on but you should also check with your insurer that changing you wheel size won't count as a modification and possibly invalidate your cover.

-------------------
Always challenge fatuousness!

Signature Nav in Black.

Yes, changing wheels from the original standard wheel counts as a modification and must be reported to the insurance company, even if it would have been available as a factory fitted option. They probably won't up the premium but might do, but either way it's better than risking being uninsured or having a claim slashed.

2 hours ago, Dave4774 said:

Yes, changing wheels from the original standard wheel counts as a modification and must be reported to the insurance company, even if it would have been available as a factory fitted option. They probably won't up the premium but might do, but either way it's better than risking being uninsured or having a claim slashed.

And if it's a Signature rather than a Dynamique 17" isn't a factory fitted option.  Seems like a lot of trouble and risk just for very little difference in comfort.  I know logic dictates that smaller wheels means more room for the shocks to absorb shocks, and fatter tyres would have more cushioning, but I have 19" wheels, and where I drive there are very bumpy badly maintained roads, and loads of speed bumps, and I've never noticed any discomfort.  I reckon the motoring journalists just report assumptions, they probably don't get a chance to test drive every configuration.

4 hours ago, chookgate2 said:

And if it's a Signature rather than a Dynamique 17" isn't a factory fitted option.  Seems like a lot of trouble and risk just for very little difference in comfort.  I know logic dictates that smaller wheels means more room for the shocks to absorb shocks, and fatter tyres would have more cushioning, but I have 19" wheels, and where I drive there are very bumpy badly maintained roads, and loads of speed bumps, and I've never noticed any discomfort.  I reckon the motoring journalists just report assumptions, they probably don't get a chance to test drive every configuration.

Have to agree with the above, though I haven't driven a 17 inch wheel Kadjar I have test driven a 19 inch Signature - expecting a bumpy ride but compared to my small-wheeled Scenic. It wasn't at all "choppy" on side streets or "slow to settle" on motorways,  as claimed by What Car. Neither was the petrol version I drove "strained" at motorway speeds as they claim - I just don't know what these motoring journos are trying to make comparisons with but it isn't any car I've ever driven! What does 'slow to settle' even mean?

I think they just pick phrases from a motoring review phrase book to pad out their comments and exaggerate the smallest differences or even no differences at all. The *only* thing that grabbed my attention on the 2 hour test drive was road noise, which seemed a bit higher at all speeds than my petrol Scenic 2 - though I suspect that much of the difference in audible road/tyre noise is accounted for by the quieter petrol engine of the Kadjar. Will drive the Sig Nav once again tomorrow before finalising my excellent deal, just to make sure though.

I have to agree with that but I think it was more about replacement cost rather than comfort, plus I recall the same poster saying they had 3 family Kadjars.
So no, it isn't worth messing around with and the best saving would be to drive steady and conserve both fuel and tyre life
I do have a personal issue with the 19" rims/tyres, they are just too low a profile for anything that purports to be a 4x4 or 4x4 look alike. They are simply too easy to kerb for my liking and easily damaged by hard debris.
Mine isn't 4 x 4 but I do go off road in it down isolated and beat up farm tracks that prevent the use of an estate car for example, I have scored 1 alloy on a projecting brick end, something I never had issues with in the qashqai on 18".
I have an old saying that many here won't like, "it's a triumph of style over functionality". I would have gone for 17's if the conditions of our mobility lease allowed it. I did check, they say the no cost option devalues the car by making it less desirable at resale. I agree, it probably does, it's something I'll really bare in mind next time though.

I have ordered a Sig Nav 1.5Auto and was concerned about the 19" wheels as i use a steering ball and was wondering if it would make the steering heavy. I tried the car found the ride fine , but of course couldn't drive it because of a need for hand controls . I asked if it was possible for 17's to be fitted , the dealer rang Motability and was told that putting smaller wheels on would not be an option . Their answer now makes sense .

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I have ordered a Sig Nav 1.5Auto and was concerned about the 19" wheels as i use a steering ball and was wondering if it would make the steering heavy. I tried the car found the ride fine , but of course couldn't drive it because of a need for hand controls . I asked if it was possible for 17's to be fitted , the dealer rang Motability and was told that putting smaller wheels on would not be an option . Their answer now makes sense .

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

But 17's and 19's end up the same size the 19's just look bigger. Don't worry the power steering is light enough for one handed, even easier with a ball