R-Link 2, no map updates - is it abandoned by Renault?
12 12

196 posts in this topic

On 17/03/2017 at 6:48 PM, J C said:

HI       I have a tom tom sat nav stick on screen plug into aux socket  thing less than £100 new three years ago map updates for LIFE tom tom live £16.99 a YEAR. ALSO gets about 4 or 5  map updates a year. ONE update for kj in now near 13 months  NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH THIS   :angry:

J.C

Welcome to the band of folks who are really unhappy with the service we are getting from Renault. There is no management and no accountability and no one in Renault who is prepared to take ownership of this issue. For such a major company, it is unbelievable 😕 and they just don't seem to get it. 

On 01/09/2017 at 6:41 PM, ulfire said:

There was no SD slot in the original Kadjar . Whether there is on later versions I couldn't say 

You guys are all making the same mistake, you think the Kadjar is a Renault, :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;), it's more the bastard sibling than a true member of the family. We have a year old Clio with R Link, it doesn't share the same issues and is very different in operation.

Mine goes in for year 1 tinkering next week, "don't know of any updates or serious issues" was the reply I got when I asked them to fix it at service

2 hours ago, turboted10 said:

You guys are all making the same mistake, you think the Kadjar is a Renault, :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;), it's more the bastard sibling than a true member of the family. We have a year old Clio with R Link, it doesn't share the same issues and is very different in operation.

Mine goes in for year 1 tinkering next week, "don't know of any updates or serious issues" was the reply I got when I asked them to fix it at service

The car may owe a lot to Nissan ....R Link is purely Renault's baby , Ted ..

2 hours ago, ulfire said:

The car may owe a lot to Nissan ....R Link is purely Renault's baby , Ted ..

So why does it work in the other Renault stable?? I haven't checked but is there so much flack on the Clio, or Megane 3/4 forums.I don't know, other than we have 1 of those and it works, which is why not on early Kadjars?, that's all the peeps here are asking.

Sorry for quoting your post, the thread was going the way of "other Renaults don't do this", hence my point above. My trigger was off safety when I read the post before yours.

14 minutes ago, turboted10 said:

So why does it work in the other Renault stable?? I haven't checked but is there so much flack on the Clio, or Megane 3/4 forums.I don't know, other than we have 1 of those and it works, which is why not on early Kadjars?, that's all the peeps here are asking.

Sorry for quoting your post, the thread was going the way of "other Renaults don't do this", hence my point above. My trigger was off safety when I read the post before yours.

Your trigger's always off safety Ted :) . I know what you mean though . I did see a lot of criticisms of the R Link 1 in the Renault sport forums , R Link 2 was the new improved version ( more things wrong with it ) . Let's hope it's 3rd time lucky for the post May 2017 Kadjar owners  

On 30/08/2017 at 6:54 PM, arjens said:

In my kj the software is updated to 2.2.18 and I'm now downloading maps 6-2016. This map version wasn't available by version 2.2.17. 

Alternative routes is fixed. On the first day with the new version there was a +35 minutes traffic jam and an alternative of -11 minutes was shown. In the old version I only got from +1 minute to +56 minutes alternatives.

Where exactly did you get this update applied please? What specifically did you ask for to get it done? Currently I'm struggling to find anyone at a Renault dealership who knows anything about the existence of any updates - which is terribly frustrating!

For info I'm still running 2.2.15.703 (with 2015-06 maps) so am very keen for an update!

I have just picked up a new (pre-registered) Kadjar, registered by the dealer on 29/06/17 and it has the 2016 maps and later version of R-Link 2 software which connects to Android Auto. This supports previous posts in this group that there are definitely 2 versions of software and maps out there, presumably on cars which were manufactured at a later date. I'll have written the following to both Renault Customer Services and R-Link Helpline and see what they have to say - I'll post the reply in here - if I get one!

Dear R-Link Helpline and Renault Customer Services,

I have just picked up my new Kadjar and it has a later version of R-Link 2 software and the 2016 version of maps - later versions than my Megane. I would be grateful if you could answer the following questions for me please...

1. Could you explain why these later versions aren’t available for my "old" Megane which is less than a year old?

2. These later versions are also apparently not available on older (pre 2017) Kadjars according to the forums. Is there work underway to upgrade those "older" systems please?

3. Is there an ongoing, managed programme of work to continue to upgrade R-Link 2 and maps? I don't want to continually be in this position with maps that are out of date and ageing system software - my current (new) map version is already a year out of date (2016) which is unacceptable.

4. When can I expect an upgrade to my 2016 maps?

Many thanks,

16 hours ago, Greenbriar52 said:

My new Kadjar has a later version of R-Link 2 software and the 2016 version of maps

Kadjar is considered a "cheap car".

16 hours ago, Greenbriar52 said:

These later versions are also apparently not available on older (pre 2017) Kadjars according to the forums. Is there work underway to upgrade those "older" systems please?

They always say they will improve. But, in fact, without minor bugs fixed can somebody say Renault improved R Link 2 (talking about 2.x) in the last 2 years? The only "improvement" was to make a new one, for new cars and name it the same with the old one so customers will be confused.

17 hours ago, Greenbriar52 said:

I don't want to continually be in this position with maps that are out of date and ageing system software

In this case you chose the wrong car and manufacturer. 

17 hours ago, Greenbriar52 said:

When can I expect an upgrade to my 2016 maps?

Probably in 2018.

And the answer at your request will be like: "Dear Greenbriar52,  I am sorry to hear that you have had issues with the R-Link systems on your KADJAR. We are very proud of the KADJAR and believe they are fantastic vehicles which have exceeded expectations. I apologise for the inconveniences this may cause you. Regards,,,,,,"

Might have been a coincidence, I went here on The Motor Ombudsman site:

https://gpshub.force.com/consumer/ConsumerDisputes

Raised a complaint against Renault UK Ltd regarding the RLink2 unit and the failure of Renault to honour it's guaranteed 'two map updates per year'.

Less than a week later Renault Connected Services called me and advised I had become eligible for the 2.2.18.590 dealer installed the update.  Just had it installed yesterday.

1 hour ago, abedegno said:

Might have been a coincidence, I went here on The Motor Ombudsman site:

https://gpshub.force.com/consumer/ConsumerDisputes

Raised a complaint against Renault UK Ltd regarding the RLink2 unit and the failure of Renault to honour it's guaranteed 'two map updates per year'.

Less than a week later Renault Connected Services called me and advised I had become eligible for the 2.2.18.590 dealer installed the update.  Just had it installed yesterday.

Interesting tactic but it seemed to work! 

I'm expecting a call back from Connected Services today in response to my query about the firmware update in the UK. I'll let everyone know what they say... 

6 hours ago, abedegno said:

2.2.18.590 is just a minor update. It is presented as a great success. It just fix some bugs, by the way, made by Renault. 

This is also an interesting tactic. We will be so happy when we will receive a map update and we will not mention that the "new" map is more than one year old. After all, comparing with actual maps older  than two years it will be an improvement. 

Just thought I would update you about my maps, i have had so many little niggling things wrong with the rlink/alarm randomly going off/black screens (only occasionally)/no TA that it has been taken back to the dealership for the day.

They have told me that they have updated the software (?) I will have to check versions when it comes back and now on the Rlink store I have a map update ready to install of 16.12.  I can confirm that there were no updates before I left for the dealership as i made the point of checking.  16.12 seems still quite old as 2017 is almost done.  I will see if my local roads around here are actually on it.

So here is hoping, no idea if this will be the same for you guys with a kadjar

Quote from Renault in response to my query why the map issued in 2017 is from 2016 and therefore over a year out of date already...

"The Map currently installed in your Kadjar is not from 2016, that is simply an internal reference, since the Map itself was compiled and released in 2017."

Hmmm.... call my cynical but.....

10 minutes ago, Greenbriar52 said:

Quote from Renault in response to my query why the map issued in 2017 is from 2016 and therefore over a year out of date already...

"The Map currently installed in your Kadjar is not from 2016, that is simply an internal reference, since the Map itself was compiled and released in 2017."

Hmmm.... call my cynical but.....

I'll finish your sentence if I may...more Renault BS ..unless you count " compiling" 2 year old maps as being " up to date " :blink:

That's exactly my suspicion - the numbers are wrong and the map is actually 2017.  Probably somebody forgot to change the indexes. In my map update from July this year (car manufactured end of May) the map was called 06.16, but in there are roads not existing in late 2016...

10 hours ago, AOne said:

That's exactly my suspicion - the numbers are wrong and the map is actually 2017.  Probably somebody forgot to change the indexes. In my map update from July this year (car manufactured end of May) the map was called 06.16, but in there are roads not existing in late 2016...

Just a question: do you know how a map is updated? How they make a "new map"? Because if you know you will agree that the Renault is full of BS!

:) They have a number of cars traveling on roads. Like this one:

image.jpeg.8d004bdf138aabb31bdfd33db6ad85b9.jpeg

On ALL roads! Why? Because new bypasses are built, lanes are added to existing roads, speed limits are changed, one-way systems are introduced, and traffic signals are changed. They collect data just by driving around.

Then they go back to the HQ and download the data. Then they compile the data, test the new maps, solve some problems embed the "release date" in each map file and after that they send the new maps to distributors.

All this compiling work take about 6 months. And is made not in the whole country but in a part of it (of course in Liechtenstein they can do the whole country). :)

So, if Renault will provide you a map called "the 27 October 2017 UK map" is in reality a compilation of data from 2015, 2016 and early 2017 (maybe March or April). The numbers you see on "Content list" are the numbers provided by those who made the map - and I can trust them!

image.jpeg.c07d8f0db9fdf5779574fadfb606b840.jpeg