• Announcements

• shedder101

WE Have Moved To www.renaultkadjarforum.com   06/11/2018

i invite all members to take a look at this our new home    https://renaultkadjarforum.com/   we are moving to a better side of the street    See you all There.   if your having trouble registering look for the activation email in your spam folder   Shedder101

Hello and questions regarding diesel v petrol
3 3

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm about to buy a nearly new Kadjar.  I was going to go for the 1.5 dci, but all the news about diesel (tax and scrappage scheme on the horizon) is putting me off.  So that leaves the 1.2 petrol.  How do people find it?  I will mostly be doing short journeys, low annual mileage etc.  It seems ironic that the diesel would be tax free now but resale value could be effected in the future, I'm confused to say the least!

Thanks a-d-e, this will be our 2nd car, but needs to big enough for our Golden retriever and our child.  I was looking at the Capture, but the lack of curtain airbags made it a no go.  We have a Qashqai 2.1 petrol which we love, so replicating that really.  Open to other suggestions though.

The confusion over diesel stems from the fact that burning diesel fuel causes fewer emissions than petrol for the same energy output..  Because of this, it was thought for many years diesel was a win win.  i.e. more economical to run, fewer emissions, and due to the lower emissions the fuel was also taxed less making it cheaper than petrol by the litre.

As well as the new tax rules, you may have noticed diesel is now more expensive than petrol.  This is because in the last few years it has been proven that although there are less emissions, the emissions from diesel are more harmful to not only the environment, but also to people.  Maybe not as bad as leaded petrol, but apparently almost.  This is why the government has changed the £0 tax bracket to be for zero emissions, not low emissions (VW cheating on the tests didn't help the motor industry any).  They have decided to be kind and have the new rules only affect cars registered from 1st April

The confusion over diesel stems from the fact that burning diesel fuel causes fewer emissions than petrol for the same energy output..  Because of this, it was thought for many years diesel was a win win.  i.e. more economical to run, fewer emissions, and due to the lower emissions the fuel was also taxed less making it cheaper than petrol by the litre.
As well as the new tax rules, you may have noticed diesel is now more expensive than petrol.  This is because in the last few years it has been proven that although there are less emissions, the emissions from diesel are more harmful to not only the environment, but also to people.  Maybe not as bad as leaded petrol, but apparently almost.  This is why the government has changed the £0 tax bracket to be for zero emissions, not low emissions (VW cheating on the tests didn't help the motor industry any).  They have decided to be kind and have the new rules only affect cars registered from 1st April

yep yr right - this is only the start though - wait for autumn budget when they will probably link nox emissions to have a specific tax increase for diesels cars. let along "clean air zones" and even paying more to park a diesel in a city carpark! Petrol/bio ethanol/hybrid/elec is the way the government will push consumers

Ade
Never Tepid or Cold
Kadjar Sig Nav (Red)

Hi,
I'm about to buy a nearly new Kadjar.  I was going to go for the 1.5 dci, but all the news about diesel (tax and scrappage scheme on the horizon) is putting me off.  So that leaves the 1.2 petrol.  How do people find it?  I will mostly be doing short journeys, low annual mileage etc.  It seems ironic that the diesel would be tax free now but resale value could be effected in the future, I'm confused to say the least!

Hi, yep definitely go for petrol, I wanted an auto but at the time only diesel was an option, to be fair it's fairly nippy... that said my father in law has the 1.2 auto which is so much quicker off the mark, quieter & drives lovely I'm not sure on his mpg, I get around 60-65 on a run 40 around town. That said given the choice I'd go for petrol. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes go for petrol, I did and it is a beautiful car to drive with loads of power from the 1.2 engine. Mine is an auto which makes it even better to drive. Goodbye diesel I will not be buying another one.

Will trade in values drop for diesel Kadjar drop post the taxation change? The change won't be retrospective so pre change cars will cheaper to own than post change. So you won't be able to go to Paris or central London in it? Paris is a shame and London is a matter of opinion but it might help trade in values a bit. So I reckon current diesel owners shouldn't panic. Some time in the future, once everyone moves to petrol, electric or flux capacitor powered cars the government will deem them a threat to the environment and tax them more too. Is there yet a calculation on the indirect pollution from electric vehicles? If not then when revenue from vehicle taxation drops the government will slap an estimated indirect pollution tax on electric or alternative fuel vehicles and catch us all again! It's a game of financial hide and seek which the government always wins!

-------------------
Always challenge fatuousness!

Signature Nav in Black.

I'd rather use the train into London anyway, I used to live in London nearly forty years but have lived rural since and the stop start driving even from the outskirts is a pain! At least tractors and combines keep moving!

-------------------
Always challenge fatuousness!

Signature Nav in Black.

Don't go for petrol, full stop. It's likely locked into the free tax section after our dear government realised that eco = cheap = no internal revenue so taxed greeness, :wub:, NOT

Emissions and tax are changing, but a 1 year old car assuming zero tax is locked into zero tax. 

London? Paris? lets get real this is the real UK user forum we drive average rods, do average mileages so 1 or 2 trips to various metropolises aren't too expensive

The government have never touched "old" rate for cars (like zero emissions) but wouldn't put it past them in the future!

Ade
Never Tepid or Cold
Kadjar Sig Nav (Red)

On 19/03/2017 at 1:46 PM, Pentris said:

Yes go for petrol, I did and it is a beautiful car to drive with loads of power from the 1.2 engine. Mine is an auto which makes it even better to drive. Goodbye diesel I will not be buying another one.

Thanks for this.   I am waiting delivery of a petrol automatic, ordered without driving one as there were none available when I was test-driving/ordering.   It was a bit of a leap of faith so you have cheered me up!

Am confused , after my first year , had to pay £20 car tax...
Dynamic s nav 1.5 dci 110.

Yep thats fine - same vehicle registered after 1st April will pay say £20 first year then £140 there after - if vehicle has list price of over £40k when registered then you pay an additional rate of £310 from the 2nd licence on top of the £140 for the next 5 years and then it reverts back to £140...... more info here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-vehicle-tax-rates-from-1-april-2017

Ade
Never Tepid or Cold
Kadjar Sig Nav (Red)

31 minutes ago, a-d-e said:

Yep thats fine - same vehicle registered after 1st April will pay say £20 first year then £140 there after - if vehicle has list price of over £40k when registered then you pay an additional rate of £310 from the 2nd licence on top of the £140 for the next 5 years and then it reverts back to £140...... more info here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-vehicle-tax-rates-from-1-april-2017

emoji15.png

Ade
Never Tepid or Cold
Kadjar Sig Nav (Red)

... will mine remain at £2O per year then as it was registered last year?

only son could get car tax exemption ( would need to get certificate) ... but not worth it over £20... 

😐 

No need for us to worry as if car was registered before 1st april 17 then no change this time (unless slight increase like they do) - if yr son gets exemption still worth it even if it is £20 ish.

Ade
Never Tepid or Cold
Kadjar Sig Nav (Red)

2 minutes ago, a-d-e said:

No need for us to worry as if car was registered before 1st april 17 then no change this time (unless slight increase like they do) - if yr son gets exemption still worth it even if it is £20 ish. emoji106.png

Ade
Never Tepid or Cold
Kadjar Sig Nav (Red)

Thanks... 

but for tax exemption, the car should really be used just for him... transportation, getting his shopping, meds etc. Not worth the worry . 

Thanks... 
but for tax exemption, the car should really be used just for him... transportation, getting his shopping, meds etc. Not worth the worry . 

fair enough

Ade
Never Tepid or Cold
Kadjar Sig Nav (Red)

Thanks for everyone's reply.  I test drove the diesel but ended up going for the 1.2 petrol.  They both seem great cars, but I think for me, doing low mileage and short journeys the petrol made most sense.  They were the same price, but the petrol was newer (only six months old) with less mileage (~3000).   It's a joy to drive, so now regrets:)