DPF
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I've just been having a chat with my neighbour over the garden fence, as old gits do, and he asked about the Kadjar and what I was now buying, so I told him the story about the Kadjar and which cars I've tried out and now decided on as a replacement, the petrol Volvo V40.

When I mentioned the Volvo he told me about his son's 2 year old Volvo D2 (diesel), apparently the DPF filter needed replacing after 38000 miles, so he booked it in under warranty but Volvo refused to cover all the cost and only offered to cover half of the labour fee because, and this is what stunned me, the car had done less than 60000 miles in 2 years, and under the warranty conditions of a diesel they do not cover the DPF if the owner does not cover a certain amount of mileage. 

They even told him that if it needed doing again he would need to pay ALL the costs, £1425.

Audi told me a similar thing when I recently test drove their Q3 TDI, but it was no where near 30000 miles per year, in fact it was 15000 miles per year, and I also know that Vauxhall have new customers sign some sort of declaration, but 30000 miles per year seems very extreme.

I'm glad I opted for petrol now   :)

He also told me a story about a courier that delivers to his house who bought a new Renault Trafic van 18 months ago that had a problem with the stop/start, so it went in under warranty and had the system replaced no problems,  all done under the warranty, but when he asked the fitter what could of caused it to play up, the reply he had was " your stopping and starting too much".       :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

It's a courier van with stop/star facility for gods sake.   :rolleyes: 

Ah the joys of motoring........... :lol:  :P        

I know the DPF's aren't covered by warranty ,and it is a concern . Apparently the DPF's are improving ,or at least the software to improve the burning of the soot . I was advised by one mechanic to " drive the car like I'd stolen it "once in a while to perform a clean up . On my last 2 diesel Renaults , I've popped some Wynns DPF Treatment in the tank every few thousand miles and not had any problems . I used Millers treatment once , but it stinks to high heaven and if spilt in the car will continue to do so for months

I agree Roger with adding some additives, in fact almost every mechanic I've spoken to about this say to add something like Wynns, and again "give it a good old thrashing now and then".

But it is a worry that the manufactures are dismissing such a vital part from warranties or putting such high mileage conditions on the diesel warranties.

I did less than 16000 miles in over 4 years on my last car, so in reality a diesel was a poor choice, hence going back to petrol on the V40.

It's extracting the urine ,Kerry , but that's the way it is  .Probably would have been a bad choice to go with diesel for you with that sort of mileage ,especially if they are short runs . But you have had an underpowered Kadjar with petrol .Maybe it being faulty was a stroke of luck  ;)

100% buddy, 

I know it may sound like sour grapes, but now I've had ALL my money back I'm happy that I can just walk away from Renault and the Kadjar.

Your not the first person to say to me that mine going faulty was a good thing for me.

I've had 2 brand new Renault's and both turned out to be duffs, so no way was I going to be bitten for a third time.

I wouldn't of gone for a 1.2 petrol Kadjar anyway to be honest, for me the engine is a bit too small, I think the Kadjar needs a diesel all day long, whether that's the 1.5 or the 1.6 makes no difference.

Frustratingly though for some diesel owners, the petrol engine could turn out be a "safer option" in regards to having no DPF issues to deal with !

Gents, DPF is a filter which can be regenerated. The point is you should drive at least 100 kph (appx. 55 mph) for some time... If you drive for a long mile below 55 mph (like you mentioned 30-35,000 miles) hence the filter blocks with particulate and you have to replace the DPF -which is expensive filter-.