Carplay...
6 6

61 posts in this topic

Don't shot the messenger!!

"Según respuesta oficial que nos facilitan desde las oficinas centrales, Apple CarPlay y Android Auto se comercializarán próximamente en varios de nuestros modelos Renault pero lamentablemente estas funciones no podrán incorporarse en los vehículos ya fabricados con carácter retroactivo."

And after Google translate:

"According to an official response from the headquarters, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will soon be commercialized in several of our Renault models but unfortunately these functions can not be incorporated into vehicles already manufactured retroactively."

Source.

Still don't understand it from the technical point of view :mellow:

Not 100% sure myself on the technicalities but In layman terms I think there are three parts to the problem. The 1st is that to run the applications I.E. mirror your phone screen to the cars screen you need to plug your phone into the USB socket.I don't know if you've ever run a sat nav app in your phone they drain your battery like crazy.I think the power supply to the USB 's is insufficient to maintain your phone battery and run the application at the same time.You would have thought this would be easy to fix with a ramped up power supply to the USB socket... but who knows.. above my head.
The 2nd problem is I don't think Renault have the in house expertise to completely rewrite the the firmware/software to make it happen.As yet they have certainly demonstrated their lack of ability in not being able to fix the bugs we currently have... but may also be related to part 3
The 3rd part of the problem I'm guessing is a business decision in that the way the bloody things been designed you need to go to a dealer to be plugged into the CLIP system to perform any sort of update.Can you imagine the bill that will be passed on by the dealers if they have to update/adapt every car they've sold so far... eye watering no doubt.This might also explain why no updates have been released to fix the other known bugs ... it's just too bloody expensive in terms of man hours to sort out as the punters can't perform the updates themselves.Easier and cheaper to field complaints than fix things.The whole thing was poorly thought out and designed in the first place IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly 1964! And:

1. Also it is possible that the memory was designed for a specific number of apps and I am not sure that they can "squeeze" the new software in it.

2. " Easier and cheaper to field complaints than fix things. " There are already a lot of Kadjar owners who accepted the situation and/or are satisfied with their car (different reasons).

3. Italian and Spanish forums started petitions on this matter. No more than 300 owners signed the petitions. Until a significant number of Kadjar owners will ask for a solution I guess Renault will just ignore us.

Exactly 1964! And:
1. Also it is possible that the memory was designed for a specific number of apps and I am not sure that they can "squeeze" the new software in it.
2. " Easier and cheaper to field complaints than fix things. " There are already a lot of Kadjar owners who accepted the situation and/or are satisfied with their car (different reasons).
3. Italian and Spanish forums started petitions on this matter. No more than 300 owners signed the petitions. Until a significant number of Kadjar owners will ask for a solution I guess Renault will just ignore us.

You are right Buder only a small percentage will actually care enough about a particular problem to make a complaint. Which is probably exactly why Renault's After sales service is so shockingly bad.

You are right Buder only a small percentage will actually care enough about a particular problem to make a complaint. Which is probably exactly why Renault's After sales service is so shockingly bad.

Have you signed petitions?

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI VNS-L31 utilizzando Tapatalk

"

When I say "will only be available on future R-Link 2 devices", I mean that devices fitted to new vehicles, being released later this year, will have this function.

"

Latest response from Renault. Straight back with asking if they can clarify whether there is an upgrade patch for a car < 2 years old. The response implies fitted as standard to new, but not whether a retrofit is feasible / offered.

"
When I say "will only be available on future R-Link 2 devices", I mean that devices fitted to new vehicles, being released later this year, will have this function.
"
Latest response from Renault. Straight back with asking if they can clarify whether there is an upgrade patch for a car

I've got a sneaky feeling it will part of another improvement phase and we will see the KJ come with the bigger tablet styles you can see in the new Megan and Scenic... along with other tweaks like ambient lighting. When you go into a showroom now and peak inside the others you notice straight away how the KJ is lacking that certain something compared to the rest of the range... and of course the new Koleos is out this year.