Carplay...
6 6

61 posts in this topic

Renault started using the press button locking and unlocking on the door handle when new Clio was launched in 2013, the Captur has always had it too, this then filtered into Megane and Scenic at around the same time.
New Megane and Scenic have gone back to a version of the old system without the buttons on the door handle.

My 61 plate megane had walk away looking and push button on the drivers door, not that I used it. Had to replace the look as it sounded like it was locking but didn't. Had to dead lock it until I replaced it. I'm putting it down to excess wear with walk away locking, pain in the back side sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me there are some hardware differences and some software differences. I can understand that is easier to modify the software component than the hardware component.

Some hardware spec. can limit what software can do.

Unfortunately I (or we) cannot have access neither to hardware specs or to software code. Some say that old R Link 2 has less memory. It is true? I don't know. 

How many Kadjar, Megane and so on...., with old R Link 2 Renault sold? 500,000? I don't think that they will spend 5,000,000 euro for upgrades.

Robert be calm !!!! Thanks. Only new Scenic built on new firmware NOW.

Inviato dal mio SM-T810 utilizzando Tapatalk

Aha. So Kadjar's R-Lins' is still on 2.x firmware. Which means that
1. Kadjars' R-Link2 will not be able to runs CarPlay things ever. This is probably business decision from Renault.
2. There will be a firmware upgrade (as we can speculate) for all devices. Scenic is just a testing dummy. It is quite convinient to test on new model and then push upgrade trough OTS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So further to my megane experience, had a look at a Clio today that my son is thinking of getting, Keycard keyless entry, buttons on the handle, walk away and it locks, push button on handle to unlock, there are no sensors like the megane had.
My conclusion, I'm sure it's just a software alteration that would adapt the K'jar

On 10/02/2017 at 11:45 PM, darenh said:

Walk away looking uses different technology. On all other Renaults the handles and handle recess have a black plate in them and electronics in the handle. When you grab the handle it actives the unlock before pulling the handle.
As mine is the Nissan system it requires you to push the button to lock and unlock. The button is still present on walk away locking or was.
I think it's highly unlikely that it is compatible.

If anyone with the walk away locking can confirm the black sensors in the handle recess, that would be the difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Type (fat fingers) I meant newer. The question is, what changed in 6 months as switching hardware so soon is interesting and makes me wonder if there is the option to "upgrade" my head unit to the newer hardware and hence benefit from the ability to use proper mapping on my phones rather than restricted to the lock in that Renault currently enforce

As long they will provide decent map upgrade service I will be satisfied.

I think that's the key, as it is, is how I bought it, so they should at least provide the necessary to have it up to date

So am I right in thinking that there's different hardware versions of the R-Link system within the Kadjar? Having had mine for a year, I do not expect that after such a short time the on board computer to be outdated. 

Is this all speculation about Carplay or do we have facts about it?

17 minutes ago, Aerop said:
So am I right in thinking that there's different hardware versions of the R-Link system within the Kadjar? Having had mine for a year, I do not expect that after such a short time the on board computer to be outdated. 

Is this all speculation about Carplay or do we have facts about it?

Apparently it was obsolete the day you bought it.... they just didn't tell you that bit.
More on the subject and the latest from R-Stink support here....

http://renaultkadjarforum.co.uk/topic/1954-renault-fuel-prices-app/#comment-18797

On 2/21/2017 at 2:10 PM, robertp said:

As long they will provide decent map upgrade service I will be satisfied.

You will not be satisfied :) It seems that the map upgrade will be "reduced" at once a year, which somehow is not different than the current situation (with Carplay or Android, Renault will pay nothing for maps upgrades). Like other systems, without technical support, R Stink 2 is not sure will benefit (anymore) of  upgrades or updates.

18 minutes ago, Buder said:

You will not be satisfied :) It seems that the map upgrade will be "reduced" at once a year, which somehow is not different than the current situation (with Carplay or Android, Renault will pay nothing for maps upgrades). Like other systems, without technical support, R Stink 2 is not sure will benefit (anymore) of  upgrades or updates.

My impression is they have killed it as the info aspect and it is purely to integrate to the systems. Their reputation now for me is mud, no transparency on policy. Try to overprice and screw customers for map updates 18 months out of date. It is truly pathetic really. If Rlink 2 was a decent system I would love my car. The software side is a total let down, as is the Renault communication and attitude (not talking dealers here as those I use are great).

Time for me to spend my very hard earned lots (and yes a car is LOTS of) money with a company that actually respects and benefits their customers. 

The whole bloody things a shambles ... car spec changes in the introductory phase of the product life cycle? .. just spells cock up! . Now to add insult to injury we are lumbered with an embedded infotainment system they can't fix or support and we are now told it's un-upgradable.Early adopters have well and truly been shafted.
Last Renault I'm ever owning!

While they may tell you that, if there is inherent problems with the car you bought then they need to fix the issues. If that means giving you a new car with the latest R-Link, so be it. They may fight it but its UK law. So long as you have given them reasonable time to fix the issues they have to replace or refund for the issue.

The whole bloody things a shambles ... car spec changes in the introductory phase of the product life cycle? .. just spells cock up! . Now to add insult to injury we are lumbered with an embedded infotainment system they can't fix or support and we are now told it's un-upgradable.Early adopters have well and truly been shafted.
Last Renault I'm ever owning!

Latter on you will be able to buy almost new R-Link device from eBay or Amazon like you can DiacoverMedia systems for VAG group at at least half a price... You always have a possibility... Dealers' shop window is glassy and big...

This is some kinda joke. What's the difference between the R-Link 2 system in already owned car and in the one that will leave the factory? :huh: Both have the same software. 

For example you can buy "new" car from last year sale, receive it in March 2017 and still won't be able to have CarPlay or Android Car...